Is it really bad?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it really bad?????

I have about a 68 degree curve in the thorisac and about a 54 degree curve in the lumber part of my spine and I am getting surgery on Nov. 3rd. Is surgery really scary and really that bad?? what happens when you first walk agian after surgery???? do you hurt when you wake up after the operation???

Alexandra jones, your situation sounds almost exactly like me. i have a 65 degree curve in the thoracic part of my spine and a 54 degree curve in the lumbar. i am also awaiting surgery and am a little nervous. since i haven't had the surgery yet, i too have some questions. however there is someone who gos to my school that is my friend that is in my grede that has had the surgery done. i get some answers from her i also get some from my surgeon. he told me that i will be so "out of it" when i wake up that even though i will have pain i will not remember it. he told me it will hurt the firet time i stand up and i will probably feel a little dizzy. i can't answer the question is surgery really that scary and bad because i too have that exact same question. i wish you luck with your surgery!
    ~*Lauren*~
    Braced for 5 months
    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
    Surgery on April 26th 2005
    Fused from T3-L4
    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

is it really bad

alexandra jones
      my daughter is 14 and is also having her surgery on nov. 3rd. There seems to be quite a few people here that are having it on that day.
      good luck
      jennifer

Comment

G'day

:The couple of days before surgery (and the day of the surgery) are pretty scary. But then after it all, you wonder why you were so scared.

:The first few days after surgery you are extremeley dopey, and spend most of it sleeping, and are unlikely to remember much of anything

:When you first walk again after surgery, you'll probably feel rather "drunk" and walk kinda funny, and when you sit up kind of dizzy and nauseous. Your eyes need to "readjust" to their new angle of seeing the world. They usually get you up on a walker at first, but after a little bit (couple of days) you are walking around like normal (a bit carefully 'cause your sore) but quite normal.

: In the hospital they try and make sure that your pain is kept to a minimum, and that your pain relief drugs are kept "on schedule",so that the pain doesn't build up, if they aren't on schedule, then you get pretty sore, very fast. Its also important to tell the nurses (or your mum or Dad to tell them) if your are in pain, 'cause they'll tweak your dosages so that you aren't in pain. My Dad kept a little notebook on when my drugs were due, and "reminded" (the nurses can get quite busy and sidetracked) the nurses if they forgot to give me the pain relied. You are also likely to have a PCA, this is a little button that you press to "get more pain relief" and it is attached to a machine. It is especially good from a psychological point of view. Because it only gives you "a certain amount at certain times" and is "locked out" at the other times. But when you press it your brain thinks its getting pain relief (even if it is locked out and you aren't really getting any), and you feel better. And it also gives you "control over your pain"

Alison

Comment

thankyou

thank you for your advice and comments they have already helped my abit so far and I hope Jc3 that your daughter has no problems with her surgery on the 3rd. I hope that yours go well when you eventually have it Animal lover12. thanks alot Alison for your insight that has been of great use to me though the experince being drunk before.
          thanks again
          Alexandra Jones

Comment

its nothing to worry about i have had my scoliosis surgery and when i first walked it was a bit weird but then i got used to it
            Ben Thrower

Comment

thanks

thank you for your reply darkhall2003 I really apreactete like everyones else replies
              Alexandra Jones

Comment

Working...
              X