Hi Everyone just popping in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Everyone just popping in.

It's been ages since I've been here. Next month will be our 1 year post-op check up.

DD is doing great.

She does say she would never recommend the surgery to anyone but that's because she can no longer tumble and out of everything, that is the thing she misses the most. If it weren't for that, then I don't think she would have the same feelings.

She has started back gym this semester at school. Luckily for us, the teacher she is assigned to was her gymnastics coach last year so she knew about the surgery. I do have it on record but that is in the nurse's office. I never know how much the paperwork really filters down from point A to point B in the school system. We had teachers in Middle School have no idea she was wearing a brace even though we were told they would all be informed. Since doing certain things are physically impossible. It was nice when I asked DD about it & she told me she went to raise her hand when the teacher was telling them to do ABC & the teacher just nodded to her basically acknowledging that yes she knows, DD can't do ABC for conditioning stuff. I was just a little nervous she was going to get a teacher that had no clue & would give her a hard time about it. Next year shouldn't be an issue as they get to choose their PE class & she is hoping to get into the dance one.

That about sums things up for us. There are still always little things that we are finding here and there that are restrictions or can't do XYZ because her body doesn't bend but in general, she is back to being a normal teenager with all her sassiness that goes along with it.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Hi Becky
    Glad to hear everything is going well with your DD. I think it's good for parents contemplating this surgery for their kids to hear from people like yourself.
    My son Patrick is doing well too at almost three years out. He runs, rough houses with the dogs, walks the dogs everyday over rough icy terrain, skiis, bikes. And all with no pain.

Ramona
    mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
    diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
    also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
    fused T4 to L1

Comment

interesting

I was surprised to see that she would "NEVER recommend the surgery to anyone"

Wonder if her thoughts will change on that as she gets older.?

Was just surprised to read that.

Comment

Originally posted by hope404 View Post
        I was surprised to see that she would "NEVER recommend the surgery to anyone"

Wonder if her thoughts will change on that as she gets older.?

Was just surprised to read that.
        I think it's just the teenager in her talking. It usually comes out when she's frustrated because she so badly wants to do flips like she used to & she can't. In her case, she wasn't having problems before surgery so the before/after isn't a noticeable difference in her mind. She knew she couldn't do gymnastics ever again before having the surgery but she didn't equate gymnastics = no tumbling in her mind. She just figured that meant no bars, beam, vault that type of thing.

I know that there is a difference as it was getting worse and the issues of the internal organs getting compressed, etc... but of course, that isn't something SHE cares about. All she knows is she wishes she could still flip and she can't due to the surgery, therefore the surgery is a pain in the rear for her.

I'm pretty sure she would never recommend the braces on her teeth for anyone either.

I'm thinking as she gets older and hopefully being able to see more of the big picture will change her mind...or it may not.
        Becky
        Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
        Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
        X