Has anybody tried Mederma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody tried Mederma?

I bought some Mederma when I was at Target today. I haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if anybody else has. If you have tried it, did it help to make your scar less noticeable? At what point in your recovery process did you try it?

-- Thanks,
    Mary
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Hello,
    I noticed that no one replied to your thread, so I will. :-)
    I have used Mederma for some surgical scars and others I have not used it. It didn't seem to make any difference. I'm sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear. I always used it as soon as the skin was completely healed as far as no scabbiness, but still red and maybe a little flakey, yet. So I can't say I started it too late. some scars heal well and others don't. It just takes time. I had a c-section scar that keloided very badly, but even after time that one even flattened out and turned silver, although it is still wider than my other scars. I think my problem there was that the surgeon didn't use dissolvable suture material and took it out (one big, long string) on the third day after my c-section, so not even three whole days. As a result the scar pulled apart a little and even got infected and full of pus (sorry TMI). I would say that if the skin was properly healed before any staples were removed or dissolvable suture material was used, then your scar will become less red over time. You know the old saying, "Time heals all wounds." I would just recommend keeping the area clean and dry. Your body produces its own oils that are just perfect for skin. Mederma is a pain because they want you to put it on so often. My recommendation would be to keep your receipt and take it back unless you've heard otherwise from someone who also has had several surgeries and seen a difference for the better.

Sincerely,
    Rohrer01
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

I didn't use a thing on my scars and they faded pretty quickly. The one thing you don't want to do is expose them to the sun for a year or so.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

i don't know about scars from fusion surgery....
        but years ago, the Mederma type stuff was by prescription...
        i got it from a top laser dermatologist in NYC, for keloid type scars from a catheter...
        the catheter was in my chest for over a year, didn't want to come out...
        anyway, the laser tx helped one of the scars...i had two small ones...and nothing else really helped
        the other scar, except time...now, it is just slightly visible...
        i have never heard of anyone forming raised, keloid scars from scoli surgery....

jess

Comment

I tried Mederma on scars from hand surgery and it did nothing. It can HIDE scars because it is thick and whitish. I would say it's good for camophlage only. A big scam if you ask me.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
          X