Maybe a 'normal' backside???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a 'normal' backside???

I probably have mentioned before in other threads that I have a very large ugly rib hump. It looks the same whether standing or sitting. I was wondering ,for those of you that had large rib humps, how much it went down after the rib removal?? Do they normally just remove one rib or 2? For one who was'nt concerned with the cosmetic side before, I seem to feel it would now raise my spirits if I knew it would look like a 'normal' back after all I will go thru...maybe I'm asking for too much??? Ly

95 curve 85 kyphosis
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
    Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 02-09-2007, 09:26 PM.

Hi...

I've seen up to 4 ribs removed. I think it depends on the patient and the surgeon. If it's something in which you have a lot of interest, I strongly urge you to discuss it with your surgeon. I've seen a huge variance between good thoracoplasties and bad ones. I think it requires a lot of experience to get it right.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Lynne,

My rib hump was very prominent sitting, standing and bending also. I only had one rib removed. I felt the same way as you, and I no longer have a rib hump.

Shari

Comment

Rib hump

The larger the hump before surgery the more apt one is to have a residual 'humpette' after surgery. They can take away just so much of rib because room must be left for the lungs since the opposite side is already sunken with less room for the lungs.

This is one reason not to wait for the curves to get so large before intervention. Also teens get much better results if they problem is addressed before their curves get too large and deforming.

My hump was lifelong from the 100 deg curve as a teen despite a modest correction possible at the time. I would say my hump was reduced by 80% with my revision in 2002 but since my curve is high thoracic my right shoulder blade protrudes but not nearly as bad as before. No more trouble with bras.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

thks all... that's one of my pre-op questions.. Yes, Karen, my curves have reached maximum levels so what can be done, I'm sure will. I"ll gladly take 80% reduction, that would pretty good....

Comment

Working...
          X