Height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height?

Hello guys! I'm 5'5" and I have ten vertebras that will never grow again how many centimeters/inches will I lose? I really want to be at least 5'7" from one hand to the other it say that I will be 5'8"(yes I have very long arms)

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
    Hello guys! I'm 5'5" and I have ten vertebras that will never grow again how many centimeters/inches will I lose?
    Not much. I don't think you had much growth left at your age.

I really want to be at least 5'7" from one hand to the other it say that I will be 5'8"(yes I have very long arms)
    Arm span greater than height AND scoliosis is sometimes correlated with certain syndromes. Do you have other skeletal anomalies?
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Not much. I don't think you had much growth left at your age.

Arm span greater than height AND scoliosis is sometimes correlated with certain syndromes. Do you have other skeletal anomalies?
      I have very long arms, fingers, legs, and nail beds

Comment

I have very long arms, fingers, legs, and nail beds
        Can you do these things?

http://palmreadingperspectives.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/marfan-syndrome-hand-diagnosis.jpg

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Pooka I couldn't open the page, bur I looked up marfan syndrome and I have some characteristics but I remember my scecond opinion saying that I don't have marfan syndrome from what I remember. My father is just like me and so was my grandfather. I don't think I have any heart problems or lung problems.

Comment

correction to link

Hi Kat,

I had trouble opening the link also, then I noticed when I click on the link it drops the : after the "http" and before the "//". Once I added the colon it let me view the link.

Kat, you may have joint hypermobility. Also, have you read up on Ehlers-Danlos? These both have some similarities to the characteristics you describe.
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks Gayle. You have an eagle eye! What a strange error. I may have backed over that colon when putting it in url format.

Here it is again and I won't put it in URL format. Kat, I hope you can just cut/paste it.

http://palmreadingperspectives.files...-diagnosis.jpg

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Okay I can just click it and it works.

Kat, do you remember how that doctor ruled out Marfans? Did you do a series of diagnostic tests before he decided that? If not then I don't know how he can know that.

There is a genetic test which has 0% false positive I think but about 10% false negative. So if it is positive you have it but if it is negative you may still have it. My kids have enough indicators such that I would not trust a negative result to stop the aortic monitoring which has to go on until they are at least 30 yo.

Finally, as Gayle mentioned there are other connective tissue disorders that present like you. Hundreds perhaps with only a few named. Of course you probably have no syndrome as they are all rare but you might . For the syndromes that can have serious consequences like Marfans (~90% of people have the heart anomalies), it is important to rule them in or out. Do you have eye problems? About 60% of Marfans patients do.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes, I can do both of those thing :/ . I can even put my arms around me and touch in the front before surgery (I'm not Gunna try that now!)

Comment

I have myopia in one eye but that was from having pink eye so often that the eye drops messed up my vision but my other eye is perfectly fine! So I don't wear glasses. I used to do "eye yoga" and within a week I saw results in my bad eye. Like I saw clearly in that eye from like 10 seconds. I see perfectly without glasses

I don't have any heart or lung problems. My second opinion suggest that it was how my structure was so similar to my dads and grandfathers. My grandfather died from second hand smoke. I will bring it up with my doctor next time I see her. I have an older cousin who have similar traits
                    Last edited by Kat3573; 11-18-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

No my skin is not that stretchy so I don't have ehlers-danlos syndrome

Comment

Wait if I did have marfan syndrome wouldnt the hospital let my
                        parents know? Because they have to monitor my heart, take urine samples, blood samples. Etc before, during, and after my surgery

Comment

This is not a one shot deal. The heart problems can manifest at any age but they usually show up before 30.
                          I wanted to clarify this statement... the aortic enlargement, if it is going to happen, can be detected on sonogram before things go south. If there is something wrong, a common time when it presents spectacularly is in the forties.

The point is that there are meds and surgery that can be done so that NOBODY has to has an aortic dissection associated with Marfans. The only people who have these things are those who were not aware they needed to monitor their aorta and valves. This is totally avoidable.
                          Last edited by Pooka1; 11-18-2012, 01:04 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Nobody in my family had heart problems until they hit like late 40's. The pink eye didn't cause the myopia the eye drops did

Pooka your starting to scare me.....
                            Last edited by Kat3573; 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Nobody in my family had heart problems until they hit like late 40's. The pink eye didn't cause the myopia the eye drops did

Pooka your starting to scare me.....
                              I am not trying to scare you. There is no reason people have to be surprised by aortic dissections associated with Marfans. The only scary part is when people don't realize they need to watch things.

What were the heart problems of the people who had problems in their late 40's? Was it aortic dissection or valve problems?
                              Last edited by Pooka1; 11-18-2012, 12:57 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X