Had pre-op yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had pre-op yesterday.

I went in for my pre-op work yesterday. Chest x-ray, 12 lead EKG, pee in a cup and blood work. They gave me a pink hospital bracelet after the blood work that I have to keep on until I go for surgery (30th). The guy told me I could go deep sea diving and it won't come off! He said that if I were to take it off, they would have to do all the blood work again. So now I am explaining to folks why I am wearing this goofy bracelet.
    Saw the nurse anethestist (sp). I told her I really NEED Zophran for nausea after surgery so load me up please! They have ordered three units of blood for me. Thank goodness I don't have to give my own this time. For my first long fusion I had to give five.

A question for you folks: On the doctors orders, he wrote redo fusion L1 through L5, instrumentation and BMP. WHAT IS BMP????

BMP stands for bone morphologic protein it's basically a bone growth factor

That's weird that they made you keep a bracelet on... Can you try to slip it off till the day of surgery?
    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
    2005 - T50, L31
    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
    Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Morphogenetic
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks, but what exactly is it?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's a bone catalyst, so it helps the bone (used for your fusion) grow. They told me during my last surgery that it's something that was approved for use about 3 yrs. ago. That's about the extent of my knowledge of it.

Also about the bracelet, I got one of those too but they never said I had to wear it until the surgery date! That's a little over-precautious! You just have to bring it with you. But maybe they've had a lot of people forget and that's why they told you that.

good luck!
          { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
          One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
          March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Here is some info on BMP and how it is used during spinal fusion. Seems like I read it is still considered experimental for kids but approved for use with adults: http://www.scoliosisassociates.com/s...php?pn=bmp-049

Comment

Working...
            X