Planning another revision - this time to ilium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning another revision - this time to ilium

I saw Dr. Tribus today for a consult. He did my 3 spine surgeries, in '09,'10 and '11 - fused from T-3 to L-3. I had great years until the past couple, but now am in pain. The surgical plan is ASF L3 to S1 and PSF L1 to - ileum. After surgery, 6 weeks using a tilt bed so that I can go straight from lying down to standing and thus avoid the sitting position, to protect the fusion in those first weeks. If anyone has been through this, I would appreciate any sharing of your experience. During the tilt bed period, how are bathroom activities handled? After healing, ladies, could you shave your legs? Any other considerations, short- and long - term, to be aware of? With my previous surgeries, this forum was invaluable for both my pre-op preparation and for getting through the recovery period.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

I've never heard of anyone having a no sitting for 6 weeks. I'd be so intimidated to do that. It seems to me that you would need to either be in a skilled nursing facility, or have a caretaker with you at home. Good luck!
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Doctor's note on MyChart, 5/09/24:

We also discussed that because her fusion will include the sacrum, we would require her to discharge to a nursing facility after surgery, as she will need to use a tilt table in order to transition from lying to standing. We will restrict her from sitting for about 6 weeks if able to encourage the highest chance of healing

According to a separate MyChart note, no hip flexion greater than 30*. Dr. Tribus said that I would be allowed to sort of lean back against a wall or counter and bend at the hips a very small amount - which might be a more comfortable position when eating. From his demonstration, I liken it to being allowed to sit on/against the very edge of a high barstool, with your feet remaining on the floor. But as far as getting in and out of bed or up and down from a chair, no.

It does sound like a wild ride!
      Last edited by mgs; 05-12-2024, 07:37 PM.
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Working...
      X