Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you consider travelling abroad for your surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JenniferG
    replied
    Thanks for your input Pam and Jimbo. I feel so badly that there are people who need the surgery and cannot have it for reasons of insurance. It's a sad, bad situation.

Perhaps in years to come, this type of service might become a viable option as medicine in first world countries becomes priced out of reach and standards, facilities and skills in developing nations improve?

Leave a comment:

• Jimbo
    replied
    Maybe one would consider this when back surgeries are as straight forward as dental work, but untill then, I would consider this a last resort. But for some people, this may be there only hope of getting surgery.

I asked my surgeon about these "medical holidays" for back surgery and he said "NEVER"!

Leave a comment:

• txmarinemom
    replied
    Oh, Jen ... this scares me on all kinds of levels.

I know fusion surgery is STOOPID expensive, and feel so awful for people like Pilar who need surgery and are stuck because they're uninsured.

Before I say anything else, there is NO reason for any child in the US (under 19) to travel abroad for surgery as long as Shriners and Texas Scottish Rite hospitals exist.

For an uninsured adult, I can't argue it wouldn't MAYBE warrant *investigation* (that's as far as I can stretch) under dire circumstances (i.e., imminent death, impending paralysis).

For an insured adult, $31,000 is far above what nsured Americans I know have paid for fusion. I think my out of pocket cost was ±$3,000 USD when it was all said and done.

The prix fixe surgery "package" disturbs me: Comparing my lil' posterior fusion to something like TiEd's, or Singer's, or even Trulyaries 3rd revision (and that's a short list!) just isn't realistic.

I'm extremely uneasy as I review their surgeons, with accreditations that include "Attended more than 12 symposiums and courses of his specialty". I'm wondering how that's significant. Another listed surgeon, although a member of the North American Spine Society is also a member of the Japanese Society for Surgery of the Hand. While I'm guessing both memberships carry some prestige, it makes him sound confused about his specialty.

When I sought a surgeon, my #1 requirement was not simply an SRS surgeon (=> 20% of practice focus on spinal deformity), I wanted one who did *nothing* but scoliosis surgery. Hanson does handle degenerative conditions, but I'm fairly certain it's limited to the scope of those resulting from conditions like scoliosis.

The facilities themselves, and the ancillary services (particularly anesthesia) concern me. I'm loathe to visit a hospital in the US that doesn't rate highly, and I just don't know how you could obtain accurate information about somewhere out of country. Who oversees them? What regulatory body sets - and enforces - their standards of care?

Overall, my biggest fear is that you only get ONE chance to do it right the first time. What if they don't?

I realize that's a question probably in the back of every surgical patient under the best of circumstances, but we CAN minimize risk/increase chances of success. Bargain shopping just seems contraindicated.

Regards,
    Pam

Leave a comment:

• Would you consider travelling abroad for your surgery?

I was pointed to this site by someone on another forum and was wondering if this might be a viable option for those having insurance problems preventing their surgery.

http://www.globalscoliosis.com/

I know of a couple of Australians who've flown to Thailand and Malaysia to have dental and elective surgery at a fraction of the cost here in Australia. Both were happy with their treatment. I realise scoliosis surgery is quite a different kettle of fish.

Anybody have information/experience with this company?
Working...
X