Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nov. is here!

Originally posted by osumike View Post
    Had my final pre-op appointment today. It's also been quite a wild week. I received a call last Monday, saying surgery was being postponed until June. Bone doc gave surgical clearance, but the surgeon said my bone density wasn't where he wanted it. Obviously this was extremely difficult to hear. Pretty much the same thing that happened in St Louis 6 years ago, except this time had a reschedule date.
    I met with the Dr on thurs, and we agreed to stick to the original schedule of Nov 9, and I was started on forteo, which I'll continue to take through recovery.
    On to today's meeting. It'll be a T3-sacrum fusion, osteotomy at L3, pelvic fixation. I've lost about ~4 inches of height. There's also plenty of auto fusion on my spine. Doc doesn't think he'll get much actual correction due to the auto fusion. Was told the plan is to rebalance my spine, meaning stabilize where I'm at now, and get me to the point where I can actually stand up straight, without strain, and if we get there, then that would be considered a success. I guess I never even considered that this huge procedure wouldn't result in me gaining some height back, having a straighter spine, or having a bit more "normal" looking torso. Thoughts?
    Hi Mike!
    I've been away from this forum for almost a year. I remember following your case. I'm glad you found a surgeon.
    I'll be in St Louis tomorrow for my 2 year checkup. I'm fused from T3 to S1. I had lost 5" in height & gained 2.5", after surgery. (I asked for 2"). I know you have a unique situation with your height.
    Recovery will be difficult, but it is SO worth it! I love the idea of the tilt table! I practiced the log roll beforehand, but didn't anticipate my body being a dead-weight. I was off my anti-inflammatory for 3 months prior to surgery. It certainly made me realize how much that stuff helped with pain!
    Sending prayers & encouraging thoughts your way!
    Peg
    61 yrs old
    75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
    T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
    Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

mike good luck
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Best of luck, Mike, for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery. The recovery is not easy, however, I was so much less stressed after the surgery that it was a better time for me than the weeks before.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Here are the reviews after my last CT scan...

IMPRESSION:

1. Levoscoliosis of the lumbar spine with ankylosis of the vertebral bodies
          from T12 to L4 and at least partial fusion of the bilateral facet joints from
          T12 to L4.

2. Degenerative disk disease at L4-5 and L5-S1 with mild spinal canal narrowing
          at L4-5 and mild bilateral narrowing at at L4-5 and L5-S1.

And after the last x-ray:

IMPRESSION:

1. Unchanged focal kyphosis and grade 1-2 anterolisthesis of C3 on C4.

2. Unchanged dextroscoliosis of the thoracic spine and levoscoliosis of lumbar
          spine.

3. The lateral images are limited for evaluation of vertebral body height loss
          and fracture.
          Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
          Still unsure of post-op numbers
          37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
          Scoli pics

Comment

And this...

IMPRESSION:
            1. Marked dextroscoliosis of the thoracic spine with partial fusion of the
            vertebral bodies of T9-10 and T10-11 and fusion of the left facet joints from T8
            to L1. There is associated variable left foraminal narrowing at multiple
            levels. There is mild right foraminal narrowing at T11-12.

2. Moderate degenerative changes of the left costal vertebral junctions at T7,
            T8, and T9 with hypertrophic bone and partial fusion of the left seventh,
            eighth, ninth, 10th ribs to the posterior elements at these levels.
            37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
            Scoli pics

Comment

Mike, with all these things, words like mild, moderate, and partial do soften the blow some....Its an eye opener to read about all these things, my reports were also quite lovely I must say. I thought, what else is there? I guess its depressing to be beat down like this, and many thoughts run through your mind, but in the end I knew that things were not improving with time, and that surgery was the only way. Is it avoidable? Sometimes it isn’t.....pain grows old, and if your surgeon comments that it will be an improvement, you have to go for it....

Time for horse blinders.....put the medical literature down, look straight ahead and think about your long term goal. That’s all you can do. You will trade old pain’s for new surgical pain, but you do heal in time. Your positive attitude will be a huge benefit, always remember this...Its going to work, your new re-build is right around the corner.

My vascular surgeon came in to the waiting area by the operating room and he asked me if I was afraid. I remember telling him that I thought I was supposed to be afraid. Maybe I wasn’t afraid at that stage since my mind was way ahead, way beyond the recovery......sort of like skipping a chapter in a book. He told me it was going to be a long day and that they wanted to get started. He then found a vein in the top of my hand, and inserted an IV in just a few short seconds, the speed of it all impressed the hell out of me, this guy wasn’t playing around. I was out a second later. The team was waiting for me.....

They woke me up in ICU a few days later, didn’t remember much, and this new reality of hoses and computers surrounded me.....it was the next stage, and I don’t remember standing up for the first time. Pain was not a problem at that stage. When they back off on the “good stuff”, and that happens slowly, then the pain comes......the IV and injectable morphine, dilaudid, and lortab is the ticket.

Do you have someone to post for you? If not, give your user name and password to someone so they can communicate with us. We will be watching like a hawk.

If they offer the local nursing students to come in from the local college, go for it. You will all sorts of hottie’s hanging around. (smiley face)

Hang in there, you can do this!

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hey Ed, thanks.. And yeah, I'm ready for this. There's still a lot of worries about other things, non surgical related, but I'm ready. Scared, but ready. I trust the surgeon, and everyone else involved. It's really hard to believe it's just a few days away.

I'll give my login info to my girlfriend and mom. My parents are coming out here from Ohio tomorrow, so I'll have a lot of support and all the help I'll need. I'll definitely have them post on here as they're updated during, and certainly after surgery. I also must say this forum has been great for mentally preparing over the years... Thanks everyone...

I'll be looking on here over the next few days leading up to Wednesday...
                37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                Scoli pics

Comment

Good luck Mike. Remember what Ed said --- eyes on the prize!
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                  To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                  Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                  Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                  Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                  Osteotomy

Comment

Good luck and God bless!

Originally posted by osumike View Post
                    Hey Ed, thanks.. And yeah, I'm ready for this. There's still a lot of worries about other things, non surgical related, but I'm ready. Scared, but ready. I trust the surgeon, and everyone else involved. It's really hard to believe it's just a few days away.

I'll give my login info to my girlfriend and mom. My parents are coming out here from Ohio tomorrow, so I'll have a lot of support and all the help I'll need. I'll definitely have them post on here as they're updated during, and certainly after surgery. I also must say this forum has been great for mentally preparing over the years... Thanks everyone...

I'll be looking on here over the next few days leading up to Wednesday...
                    Wishing you smooth surgery and recovery.
                    Cathy
                    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
                    54 years old March 5
                    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
                    Surgery April 8 2015
                    Presurgical curves T77 L66
                    Post surgical T27 L22
                    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

I hope things went well for Mike today.....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Yes, I was thinking of him, too. Hope his family does a post soon.
                        Decompression surgery L4/L5
                        April 3, 2015
                        Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                        Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
                        June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
                        Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                        Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
                        After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
                        2 inches taller

Comment

Update from osumike'so mom

Mike had his long awaited 10 hour surgery. According to Dr. Tribus, he was able to stabilize the spine. I recorded the "after" surgery consult with the doctor. Once Mike is feeling up and staying awake to listen to it, we will post details of his surgery. Mike is still in ICU and in a horrible amount of pain. The staff have been very attentive to his needs and are doing their best to keep him as comfortable as they can. Thank you all for your support and giving Mike the confidence to go forward with this surgery.
                          37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                          Scoli pics

Comment

Hi Mikes mom

Welcome.

Thanks for giving us an update....Do try to stay strong through all of this and remember that things do get better in time. Deep breaths for everyone.

Have they gotten him standing up yet? I did a lot of standing by my bed during my ICU days...or at least that what they told me. I don’t remember much during that period. Trying to get comfortable is so hard after scoliosis surgery.....it takes a really long time.

Don’t be hesitant to ask if you have any questions.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Just wanted to say I'm praying for you Mike and hope you are hanging in there.

God Bless,
                              Melisse
                              Melisse
                              Diagnosed with Adolescent Scoliosis @ 12 y.o. Thoracolumbar curve was around 28*
                              Wore Boston Brace 2 -3 yrs

Comment

Hey guys, As my mom said, surgery went well, I was in ICU for a couple days immediately following, then I was moved up to the orthopedic floor. All the nurses here are great.
                                I've been in a LOT OF pain. It seems to stem from my pelvis where the anchor screws are, and then a really sharp, burning pain running down my left leg. The nurses won't give me anything strong enough to kill that pain, because the surgeon won't authorize it. The only med that gives me real actual relief, it's valium. Because valium is such a depressant, they're having to be careful with the doses I receive.

We started to use the tilt table a few days after surgery, but every time I got on it I was so lightheaded and nauseous that I couldnt step off because it felt like I would collapse. After a few days of that, we tried something different. Dr Tribus had me sit up at the edge of the bed until I wasn't so lightheaded, then I stood up with him holding me for about 10 minutes so i wouldn't fall down. Eventually I was able to take a few steps with the walker, then I sat in a cardiac chair for a bit. It felt great to get up and move like that. The next day I ended up walking about 40 feet or so down the hallway and back. After all this, the hospital decided I made enough progress to be released to the rehab facility. Yesterday was the first full day here, and it was a pretty rough day, pain wise.
                                Right in the center of my back, at the hip, on the left side, there's like a bump, it almost feels like it's full of fluid. But the to the right of that is where I'm having horrible pain. I'm hoping it's just screws trying to heal, but of course it's hard to not think it's something much worse. I had x-rays taken before I left the hospital, and haven't heard anything is wrong sooo... I just feel like being 11 days out, that pain right there shouldn't be so bad. Maybe I'm being too optimistic. I know you people will talk some sense into me!
                                I did a little PT/OT yesterday, but only laying in bed because my rear hip/center lower back area was so painful. We'll give it another go today. I was able to get up and take a shower tho, which was great. Overall mentally I feel good about everything, other than the possibility that something is wrong in that area that hurts so bad. I know this post is a little rambling, I've been typing on it a little here and there for the past few days so... I'll be more diligent and post more often now, and I'll post a couple before and after pics real soon......

Edit: I updated my signature with a link to some pictures....
                                Last edited by osumike; 11-20-2016, 08:37 AM.
                                37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                                Scoli pics

Comment

Working...
                                X