Scoliosis progression after fully grown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis progression after fully grown

My daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis as a teen. Her curves started out in the teens but progressed into the 20's. After wearing the Milwaukee brace for 2 years, her curves ended up about 32 thoracic and 26 lumbar. At age 17 her curves worsened to 34 thoracic and 28 lumbar. Now as a 19 year old, they are 38 thoracic and 29 lumbar. She has been done growing for several years and is an active college tennis player. Has anyone else encountered curves worsening into young adulthood and did they continue to worsen or do they eventually stop? Her orthopaedic surgeon said if they get into the 40's by next year, she may be looking at surgery. I had corrective surgery 25 years ago, my curves were in the 50's as an 18 year old. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

redbuckeye,
    My curves were in the 40's in high school & I was a big tennis player with & without my brace..(1st singles!) I did just fine with balancing curves & did'nt develop a hump/ problems until late thirties into 40's after births of my 2 sons. The second son seemed to start the major increase on my lumbar curver (60+ now..) & loss of height... Lynne

surgery this August...ant/post w/ Dr. Boachie
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

My thorocolumbar curve was about 25-30 deg. when I was 25 -- now, at 51, my curve is 70 deg. and I'm facing surgery. I never had my back checked over those years, but I know I lost quite a bit of height since menopause (2 years ago) and I do not have osteoporosis.

Judging by this forum, I'd say that progression after skeletal maturity is quite common -- I don't know why people continue to say it's rare!

--Chris
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I asked my doctor about that exact same thing yesterday, and he says that at his practice, about 1 in 12 people who have borderline curves end up needing surgery later on as adults.
        Scoliosis for 8 years, Milwaukee, Providence & Boston braces. 35T 42L Dx'd with Chiari Malformation 8/06, decompression surgery + duraplasty 11/24/06.

Comment

10 years later....

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11....for the first year it was closely watched but as I turned 12 i was told I needed a brace.....I had 3 DIFFERENT braces from age 12 to 15. My curve(s) continued to grow despite bracing! I thought my life was over when my doctor said SURGERY! I am 25 years old and am 10 years out of surgery and still to this day wonder what my life would have been like if there wasnt surgery to correct my problems, all I know is I hope and pray to never have to have the other portion of my back done! It was H*LL!!!!!!!! I would never wish any of this upon anyone! Good luck to everyone and I am here and would be happy to answer any questions! baby_1981_1999@yahoo.com

Sincerely,
          Kristin Morelock
          Kristin Morelock
          Surgery November 1995

Comment

progression of curves in maturity-Not rare - not common?

My curves progressed with a fusion done 40+ years ago--before my revision--in 2002-- because there was no hardware used those days.(1956)

I have corresponded with many people in the same situation. What took us all by surprise was the notion that: "curves don't progress in adulthood and solid fusions don't allow the curves to progress".WRONG
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi
              My curves continued to become larger by about one degree per year since I was twelve. I wore a brace and tried all sorts of alternative therapy. I finally faced the fact that I had to have surgery and did.
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

Working...
              X