Does the brace hurt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Connie,
    I must say the first couple of days of wearing the brace was not fun for Tikka. The brace dug into her thighs and that had to be adjusted. Fortunately, once that was done, she adapted very well. I think she was surprised mostly by the "tilt" that the brace forces you into. One side comes up under her arm and made her tilt to the side. This helps to straighten the curve, and when that happens, you stretch upwards a bit and , then, the underarm piece isn't so annoying. But, that whole process takes about 2 weeks. I often kidded her that she grew 2 inches but Tikka always says "I didn't grow... I stretched!"

During the first few days she wore the brace, she had to rest often. We went shopping for clothes in the mall and had to take many sit down breaks. A good brace makes you work hard! One side pushes you into the "relief" side where there is room to move. The stomach muscles get stretched and it was quite a workout. She needed about 1 week to build up her strength. Now, she has no issues and can do most anything in the brace with no real discomfort.

We decided to take up to two weeks to get used to wearing the brace 23/7. However, I think it actually only took her about 8 days. Now, she feels weird without it!

All the best,
    Tikka's Mom

Comment

Hi Tatjana,

Thanks for your good thoughts. I think Tikka pm'd you already. I'm so glad to hear you're wearing the brace OK in school. It's really not so bad 'cause you can hide it pretty well, right?

Tikka does not like to tell everyone about it but her good friends all know.

It sounds like you are doing so well. Keep up the good work!

Regards,
      Tikka's Mom

Comment

I Love you all !!!

Hi,
        Alison and Tikkas...you have no idea how you helped me...First you gave me a detailed story on how the first visit with the brace will be....If I didn't know this , I would have probally have left the office with the brace not fitting right...so now I understand that it should fit comfortable...but most most important what I learned from you guys is that I should have a better additue towards the brace..I was feeling that it's a punishment that I gave her the scoliosis....This all comes from mothers guilt.,..but reading your response makes me think in a positive way....I also had my husband read your resonses....b/c he has no idea what will happen and change in Fortunes life...I had no idea that she will need new clothes to fit over the brace....In the past I would say to Fortune not to lift b/c she has a bad back/....that was a mistake.. I will stop putting a label on her....I also now she was worried after my recovery of scoli surgery 7 months post-op, and could be feeling scared but holding it inside....
        I put a smile when we have the the fitting.....b/c now I can help Fortune with this experience in a positive way...telling her she ;looks cool in it, or how this will help her spine straighten up....and she has a close friend who also is wearing a brace.....but most important ...I will look at this in a whole new light and thats the help and support of this forum!!!!!!
        Thank You
        CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
        fused T4 -L3
        Hip graft
        Grown 1 1/2 inches
        25/o upper T 15/o
        53/o T 15/o
        37/o L 6/o
        Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
        New York City

August 6, 2004
        Pulmonary Embolism
        complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
        increasing pain at the T4/5
        point irratation heardwear

Comment

Hi Connie,
          We're all in the same boat, aren't we? Our girls need support from us and we have to let them know that they can do this. The brace is NOT punishment in any way. It's a helping hug!

Just remind your daughter that the brace takes getting used to. I did learn that it should not "hurt". But it will feel very different at first. Tikka said she felt like she was tilted to one side and thrown forward as well. When the brace forces you to stand straight, it seems very weird.

Clothes were the least of our problems (except for the $$$). It was fairly easy to find nice outfits that hid the brace and looked good too.

As far as lifting things, our doctor advised that Tikka can do anything anyone with a normal back can do. She has standard idiopathic scoliosis. In fact, I encourage her to exercise her back when she isn't wearing the brace, and we do yoga twice a week. She has abs of steel now, even without the brace! I don't know your daughter's condition, but I would check with her doctor. Exercise and muscle conditioning is beneficial for most scoliosis patients.

Kids react differently to the brace, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that your girl has an easy adjustment.

All the best,
          Tikka's Mom

Comment

I personaly think that the orthotist's attitude is WAY wrong. My brace started out digging into the same places as your daughtors. I told eddie, and he trimmed under the arm, and added some padding on my hip. If your orthotist is acting that way I would be VERY concerned. I hope your daughtor's hurts are fixed.!
            ~~Rebecca, 15 years old, 10th grade~~
            I was braced for 2 years and 4 months
            I went through 3 Boston Braces
            Original curve~34*
            Curve in 1st Brace~9*
            Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
            Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
            Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

Thanks Stormygal,

Thanks for your support.

It's amazing how much you learn in such a short time. If I knew then what I know now, I would have insisted that the orthotist wait an hour or so for Tikka to calm down (she was crying her heart out) and for her to get a feel for what "hurt" as opposed to what "felt weird". He really didn't want to take the time, nor was he the type of guy that knew how to deal with two unhappy females. He's not a bad guy, but he just isn't a kid friendly kind of guy.

On the positive side, he did make an excellent brace and , after the tweaking, the brace is pretty comfortable to her now. In the long run, this is what counts.

Tikka's mom

Comment

Hi Tikismom..
                just an update on my daughter,,..she's doing great.....the only issue is counting up the 16 hours she needs to wear it...my daughter went to see a physcial therepist to go over muscle strenthening excercises...my daughter is in very good shape ..she just turned 13 and gratuated to pointe shoes after years of ballet..her faviote is still hip hop....she is a tiny thing....we are so grateful that the curve went from a 25 to 5 degree..I wish all the girls and boys to have the same positive results.....
                CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                fused T4 -L3
                Hip graft
                Grown 1 1/2 inches
                25/o upper T 15/o
                53/o T 15/o
                37/o L 6/o
                Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                New York City

August 6, 2004
                Pulmonary Embolism