Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having surgery while having young kids at home

Hi everyone-

I am having surgery to correct my scoliosis this June. By the time June comes, my kids will be 5 and 3 years old. I was wondering how hard it will be to take care of my self during recovery (I will have my husband to help me too for about 3 weeks or so) while trying to also care for my kids. Has anyone else out there also had young kids while they had the surgery? I am very worried about this! My kids need alot of care and attention and basically need alot of help doing everything! I hired a neighbor to come over like 3 days a week for about 5 hours a day to help me out with the kids, and then my mom will help me out the other 2 days during the week. How long do you guys think before I don't need any help at all? I need to be able to drive my one child to kindergarten in September and my other child to preschool in September. Our fall schedule will be demanding, but it is 3 months after my surgery and I'm hoping I will be ok. I am getting fused from T4-L3. I'm just looking for reassurance that this is doable! I'm just starting to get worried!

Thanks,
    JenM
    Last edited by JenM; 01-17-2010, 10:42 PM.
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Hi Jen...

We're all very different, so it's hard to know how capable you will be. I would say for the first month, you're going to have very little ability to do much of anything. Hopefully, someone who has had kids about the ages of yours will respond.

Unless there's some big complication, you should be able to drive your kids to school in September.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Jen,
      I can't be of any assistance i'm afraid but I'm glad you posted this and you may be able to help me?!. I am hoping for a fusion on my kyphosis and I have a year old - I feel at this age, they are pretty capable with direction and supervision. As long as surgery doesn't interfere with nagging ability!!

I want to have another baby and I'm 37 years old. I'm thinking I need to have baby first and then surgery (I will be too old if I do it the other way round). Have you been given any information regarding how long you have to wait until after childbirth before having spinal surgery?

Good luck with your surgery in the summer, I hope it goes well. It sounds like you have lots of people around you for support.

Comment

Jen,

with kids that young, I can't imagine being able to care for them within the first month at all. It was all I could do to care for myself (and I had help.)

By 3 months, I was driving around town to the grocery store, and bringing my daughter to the bus stop or school. I'd estimate that you'll probably be good by the fall, but earlier than that, I cannot say.

Did you hear from Lisa yet?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Obstetrician said a year

Hi,

I had to have ear surgery (yes I know a different body part) after I delivered John. The ENT was most emphatic that I had to wait a year after John was born to have the surgery. It was quite extensive ear surgery even for me the ear infection queen. But I remember thinking, it's my ear what in the world could possibly change in my ear due to pregnancy. As it turns out, fluid levels in the inner ear are different in pregnancy. He was also keen on my ability to cough which is a huge deal with back surgery. So I'm guessing your OB and your ortho would say definitely a year.
          Thoroughly disgusted with people in this group

Comment

When I had my surgery, my daughter was 4 at the time. I really couldn't do much until around 6 weeks after surgery, then even after that, I was not allowed to pick her up for a long time, can't remember exactly how long. Luckily, she was able to help me pick things up and she took great care of me along with her dad!! As long as you have help from another adult, you will be fine.
            Jamie Age 29
            Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
            2008 Curves - 39/63/44
            Surgery Date - 3/25/08
            T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Working...
            X