my daughter is getting a boston brace in a week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my daughter is getting a boston brace in a week

My daughter is 11 and was just dianosed a yr ago with scoliosis. When she had her first xray it was 20 degrees. She has 2 curves one in the middle and one in the lower back area. 6 months later she got another xray and the curvature in the lower back went from 20 to 30 degrees. She seems to be hadling the news very well......I'm so proud of her ......it helps me hadle it more positively. She got the molding done for a boston brace last week......I didnt realize how big it was.....it covers one hip which will make it difficult to button up her clothing.....she will be getting her brace in 1 week.....I hope its not too difficult for her to get used to it.....I don't want it to break her spirit......I'm, going to buy her a maternity band so that she could wear her open pant and see if that works don't know if the band will fit her....she's quite slim.....

sorry but I dont know how to quote but thats great that she is strong and I am happy that she is getting the brace before it gets to be worst!I hope that the brace will work and help her spine straighten .
    [COLOR="Cyan"]59 degree curve birth
    110 degree curve now
    Sydnie SueAnn ^.^ Always open to help xo

Comment

Thank you, I hope the brace will straighten her spine some.......but they say that the brace will only temporary straighten it and when she no long need it it will go back to the original cuvature wich is 30 degrees....they said in some few cases it can permanently straight it some but its nothing to hold our breath for.......Our goal is to prevent it from getting worse and to not need surgery while she is still growing. We will stay positive in hopes that the curve never gets worse than it is now or later when the treatment is over......Thank you again for your warm thoughts......

Originally posted by Syd View Post
      sorry but I dont know how to quote but thats great that she is strong and I am happy that she is getting the brace before it gets to be worst!I hope that the brace will work and help her spine straighten .

Comment

Same here.

Originally posted by aksor View Post
        My daughter is 11 and was just dianosed a yr ago with scoliosis. When she had her first xray it was 20 degrees. She has 2 curves one in the middle and one in the lower back area. 6 months later she got another xray and the curvature in the lower back went from 20 to 30 degrees. She seems to be hadling the news very well......I'm so proud of her ......it helps me hadle it more positively. She got the molding done for a boston brace last week......I didnt realize how big it was.....it covers one hip which will make it difficult to button up her clothing.....she will be getting her brace in 1 week.....I hope its not too difficult for her to get used to it.....I don't want it to break her spirit......I'm, going to buy her a maternity band so that she could wear her open pant and see if that works don't know if the band will fit her....she's quite slim.....
        Hi Askor, I have an 11 yr old daughter also, diagnosed last month with a 38 degree thoracic curve and 13 degree lumbar. Don't know how we missed it, she stand so straight. We now see the signs we missed. She is getting her brace next week also. When she was getting casted for it I was amazed at how much force was applied to her sides while mold was setting. She let out a couple of gasps. I felt terrible just watching, although we were joking around during the process and had some fun with it. I would love to keep a dialog open with you as we will be going through this at the same time. We ended up going with the RSC brace. We'll keep your daughter and family in our prayers. Maybe the kids can relate their experiences and concerns to one another and support each other as they go through the process through PM's or email if you or they are willing and find it might help. Us parents have to keep a positive air about us even though we may feeling bad for them on the inside. It's amazing the inner strength those girls have. They need us to be there for them. Good luck to you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by bbrian35 View Post
          Hi Askor, I have an 11 yr old daughter also, diagnosed last month with a 38 degree thoracic curve and 13 degree lumbar. Don't know how we missed it

When my then 13 y.o. daughter was diagnosed, her Scoliosis was 36* and her Kyphosis was 79*. We "miss it" because we're not taught the signs and symptoms of Scoliosis. Like you looking at Jamie after her diagnosis, all the signs were right there for all to see.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, It would be very nice to keep in touch and I'm sure my girl would love to have someone to relate to.....my girls has a 20 thoraci curve and a 30 degree lumbar. Is your daughter also doing physio excercises? I also missed the signs.....My daughter noticed it herself at first I thought it was her posture.....I remeber her looking crooked in her matial arts classes...don't know how I missed it......My daugheter thought is was so cool getting the molding done also and liked that she was able to choose a pattern. She is getting a thoracic boston brace. Its so hard not showing how scared I am for her. It helps that she is positive.....yesterday though she broke down for the first time saying how she really feels about the brace and how she feels different. I told her everyones different that things could be worse. She's lucky that she is getting something done. My mom didnt get anything done and is in alot of pain. We will keep you in our prayers as well. Things are not going to be easy. Hpefully it won't be too hard getting used to the brace. Good luck and thank you so much for replying......

Samantha

Hi Askor, I have an 11 yr old daughter also, diagnosed last month with a 38 degree thoracic curve and 13 degree lumbar. Don't know how we missed it, she stand so straight. We now see the signs we missed. She is getting her brace next week also. When she was getting casted for it I was amazed at how much force was applied to her sides while mold was setting. She let out a couple of gasps. I felt terrible just watching, although we were joking around during the process and had some fun with it. I would love to keep a dialog open with you as we will be going through this at the same time. We ended up going with the RSC brace. We'll keep your daughter and family in our prayers. Maybe the kids can relate their experiences and concerns to one another and support each other as they go through the process through PM's or email if you or they are willing and find it might help. Us parents have to keep a positive air about us even though we may feeling bad for them on the inside. It's amazing the inner strength those girls have. They need us to be there for them. Good luck to you guys!

Comment

Hi Samantha,

I've been following your posts, and I definitely feel for you and your daughter. Getting a brace is never easy, and the first couple of weeks may not be the easiest. But trust me, it does get easier for everyone, including Mom, after a few weeks.

My daughter first got a brace ate age 6, improved with time and was able to be out of a brace for a year. She recently went back into a brace, and although she was not happy with it at first, she has adjusted well. There is definitely a breaking in period (like with new shoes). For us, shameless bribery helped, but that is MUCH cheaper for a 6 y/o than for an 11 y/o probably!

You and your daughter will make it through, and things should get to be more routine after a few weeks.

Take care,
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts ...its so nice being able to communicate with others going through the same thing.

Thank you again

Samantha

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                Hi Samantha,

I've been following your posts, and I definitely feel for you and your daughter. Getting a brace is never easy, and the first couple of weeks may not be the easiest. But trust me, it does get easier for everyone, including Mom, after a few weeks.

My daughter first got a brace ate age 6, improved with time and was able to be out of a brace for a year. She recently went back into a brace, and although she was not happy with it at first, she has adjusted well. There is definitely a breaking in period (like with new shoes). For us, shameless bribery helped, but that is MUCH cheaper for a 6 y/o than for an 11 y/o probably!

You and your daughter will make it through, and things should get to be more routine after a few weeks.

Take care,

Comment

Upcoming brace.

Hey Askor, There is a great site for the kids called spinekids.com. Lots of kids there and fun and games area too. There was a post called "101 reasons brace is good" or something like that. It can be used for sledding, let people punch you in the stomach, and a bunch of funny ones. I looked for it today but didn't see it. I hope it's still there. We try and kid around about ideas like that for my daughter. There's a bit light sarcasm for the sake of fun going back and forth between us. My daughter's new excuse to not do something is "But I have scoliosis"! I know that the brace will be a challenge and heartbreaking at times, but I will not let her see me down about it. And yes, we do exercises. I even built some stall bars for the wall in the exercise room. Her brace is made with slight gaps in some areas to allow for postural corrections and compensatory movement of her spine and ribs when breathing and wearing. She does Schroth therapy which is intensive training intially, and to retrain her to stand, breath and move with regard to her spine. It's like the focus is to reconsider everything you do to promote muscle development for spinal correction until it becomes second nature. If we are successful in stoping her curve, the exercise will be a lifelong endeavor for her to hopefully avoid progression and health issues due to scoliosis. The kids in this program are quite into the therapy. Some sessions are group and they have a lot of fun it seems. These kids are really fit.

Comment

Found it.

Hi Askor, here's that list I was telling you about.
                    http://www.spinekids.com/bracing2.shtml
                    Share it with your daughter!

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate it. I will have her check it out.......

Samantha

Hi Askor, here's that list I was telling you about.
                      http://www.spinekids.com/bracing2.shtml
                      Share it with your daughter!

Comment

That was just hillarious........Just read 100 reasons to love your brace.....Funny.....
                        my girl will go to school with good jokes.....

Samantha

Originally posted by aksor View Post
                        Thank you, I appreciate it. I will have her check it out.......

Samantha

Comment

I can't even get your username right and should have just used "Hi Samantha". Glad you liked the list.

Comment

No problem.....I don't even know what to call you........

I can't even get your username right and should have just used "Hi Samantha". Glad you liked the list.

Comment

Hi Brian, what day this week is your daughter getting her brace. My girl is getting hers Wed. Its gonna be a rugh couple of weeks adjusting. I hope its not too hard for the girls. Good luck

Samantha

Comment

Working...
                              X