Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhysicaL Therapy

Hi All!!
    I have become addicted to this forum. It is sooo interesting to read how everyone is doing, so much great information, & a wonderful support system.
    Thanks, & encouragement to you all!!
    Okay, P.T. - did all of you do P.T., if so, for how long? Did all of your MD's
    recommend just walking. How much walking did you do? I feel like I'm doing
    great at 6 months post-surgery, BUT I am not a disciplined person & I find
    myself walking less & less. My complaints have very little to do with my back, I've been having ongoing problems with my knees, & my hips are not
    as flexible as they used to be. What were/are your experiences?
    Happy Deanna

T10-S1 with instrumentation & cages x2.
    51* corrected to 21*, rib hump resolved.
    Surgery 7/8/09, Dr. Nitin Bhatia, UCI Medical Center, Orange,CA
    Almost 65 years young/old!!

Deanna, I'm 63 and needing to have T12-S1 fusion. Was your surgery all done in a single surgery? Did you have pain in your hips and knees before surgery? I too am learning a lot from others on this forum.

Glenda
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

Comment

I did PT, starting after 6 weeks, and I think I only did it for 2 or 3 weeks, by that time I had surpassed what they were hoping for me to achieve.

Yes, they did recommend walking. A LOT of walking for me. As others on this forum will attest, probably an excessive amount of walking. My surgeon wanted me to walk 10 to 15 miles a day, and I achieved that (10 miles, I never made it to 15) around the end of April or beginning of May (my 2nd half of the surgery was in December). I was/am also allowed to bike on a cruiser style bicycle (currently indoors with a cycle-trainer).
      I can tell you without a doubt my hips are WAY less flexible than they were before, but I am fused to the pelvis. I used to be REALLY flexible, now I'd say I am less than average.

Hope that helps. I am a fair bit younger, so I am not sure if my answers will help you any, or at all, but I figured I would share just in case. :-)
      25 years old
      double 70+ degree curves before surgery
      Anterior on 11/11/08
      Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
      nearly perfect correction
      fused t-10 to pelvis
      with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
      Broke left rod on 10/24/09
      Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
      Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
      Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

My hips have become progressively tighter, shorter stride. When I asked the doc about it, he referred me to Pt... AGAIN. We are working on stretching them out, takes another person to really stretch those muscles. I just can't do it by myself. Must teach my husband quickly as I really want to do it all myself at home! But I do love PT and all that it has done for me since my first surgery in Apr 08.
        Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
        Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
        T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
        Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
        Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
        Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
        Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
        Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
        Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I'm 10 months post op and pt was never recommended to me, despite my asking at my 2 month post op appt. I will ask again at my 1 yr. appt. in March.

Walking was all my surgeon recommended. When I said I was walking 2-4 km. every day, he said do it twice a day! At about eight months I lost momentum and now walk 3 times a week. It's very hot and humid here at the moment so that puts me off...although I guess I'm looking for excuses at this point.

Glad to hear you're doing so well Deanna.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Physical Therapy

Hi Glenda,
            Yes my surgery was all at one time - around 10 or so hours. It was posterior only approach. I had trouble with my right knee before surgery - some arthritis there. I injured the left knee when I went down into a squat without remembering my body changes & I felt an immediate strong pain but I couldn't get right out of the position, it took me awhile. Anyhow, I don't know if I pulled a tendon, ligament, or did some other damage. I keep waiting for it to improve - been over 7 weeks now. I see my MD on the 21st. so I'll see what he thinks. I don't have pain in my hips, it's loss of flexibility.
            I used to be very flexible & I'm not now - maybe it comes back.
            Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Fierceliketiger,
            Your post really amazed me!! 10 miles a day!! What a gal!!
            Continued good health to you.

Thanks,
            HappyDeanna

Comment

Hi Glenda,I had alot of pain in my right hip and leg before, and its all gone now since surgery.I have lost some strength in my legs.I do lots of walking,but don't think I'm working all my muscles And I'm finding I have to do things differently.I start PT tomorrow so we will see
              Aug.17,09 Anterior
              Aug.20,09 Posterior
              Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
              Cedars-Sinai
              Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
              Husband married 30 years
              3 kids 29,28,25
              4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Try exercising in a pool. Water walking, swimming breast stroke, and simple leg exercises in the water will strengthen your legs and back while supporting your back and it is a great way to exercise if your have arthritis. I go to a therapy pool where they keep the water at 90 degrees and it feels great. I have had 2 back surgeries, arthritis, and degenerating discs. I am only allowed to exercise in water. My pool has an elliptical and treadmill in the water for exercising, plus water exercising classes. It is run by our local parks department and is for seniors (50 and older) or people with a doctors note. There are many people who go there that have had knee and hip replacement and use the pool for rehab!
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Lots of good info! Hearing of no (or minimal) pain the hips after surgery is encouraging. I have a lot of hip pain now and radiating leg and foot pain, stinging and numbness.
                  Glenda
                  Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                  Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                  Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                  A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                  Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                  Pleased with outcome

Comment

Deanna,

The only physical therapy recommended for me was walking. My surgeon once commented that physical therapists can get too aggressive. And I also think he takes the position as that of another member here who posted that his surgeon recommended no PT until the spine was healed. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Fierceliketiger,

I would not be a bit surprised if the ridiculous amount of walking your surgeon recommended contributed to your broken rods. Shame on him!

Comment

Hmm, I see people complaining about loss of mobility in their legs/hips. My right hip hurts when I extend it all the way to take a step. My left is fine, but I kind of limp cause my right leg doesn't help all that much.

I am meeting the doctor at Feb 8, 10 and I will ask him about PT to get some of my flexibility back, I am only 19.

Speaking of things after surgery, I hear a lot of that random Rib pain comes too. I'm dying from that, my left side has a specific place in the ribs that hurts a lot. When I sit/lay down it's hard to breath. Is this common?
                      John

Comment

physical therapy

Hi John,
                        May I suggest you start a direct thread regarding your rib pain. I haven't had any of that but maybe you had a higher fusion? (Mine started at T10)
                        I think you would get a lot of response because I have read many replies
                        dealing with rib pain.
                        Good luck & sorry that you're having to deal with breathing issues & pain.
                        HappyDeanna

Comment

physical therapy

John,
                          I just noticed you just had your surgery in December. You're soooo
                          NEW....give yourself time to heal. You'll feel better day by day!!
                          HappyDeanna

Comment

Originally posted by HappyDeanna View Post
                            Hi John,
                            May I suggest you start a direct thread regarding your rib pain. I haven't had any of that but maybe you had a higher fusion? (Mine started at T10)
                            I think you would get a lot of response because I have read many replies
                            dealing with rib pain.
                            Good luck & sorry that you're having to deal with breathing issues & pain.
                            HappyDeanna
                            Mine was at T9, but idk why I still get constant pain in that area, it's weird. Thanks anyways.
                            Originally posted by HappyDeanna View Post
                            John,
                            I just noticed you just had your surgery in December. You're soooo
                            NEW....give yourself time to heal. You'll feel better day by day!!
                            HappyDeanna
                            Lol, yeah, late december too lol. I guess I'll just wait it out for a few weeks before I start to get worried about this rib pain.
                            Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X