Scoliosis and Pregnancy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and Pregnancy?

Can anyone tell me what effects pregnancy has on scoli? I want to have children in the next year or so and have so many questions. First - and most important - will I pass this to my children? Second - will pregnancy increase curve? I have heard from a chiropracter that during pregnancy - hormones levels allow the spine to be manipulated easier. Any truth to this?
    Danelle

Hi Danelle...

All the research shows that scoliosis curves generally do not increase during pregnancy. There is anecdotal evidence, however, that SOME women's curves do increase.

You MIGHT pass your scoliosis on to your offspring. At this time, no one knows what percentage of people with scoliosis pass it along. I have scoliosis, but my daughter does not. This is purely anecdotal, but I would guess that if you have scoliosis, AND have a parent with scoliosis, you're probably more likely to pass it on to your offspring.

SOME women do experience joint laxity during pregnancy.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Has anyone gone throught pregnancy while having pain in the lower back. How did you deal with it?

Comment

Pregnancy

I am 53. Never had surgery. Never had a brace. My curves are 150,88, and 50. I have a twenty seven year old daughter that I carried full term. It wasn't easy and I pretty much did it without drugs. I was very motivated and I spent a lot of time in a warm bath or under a hot shower, then I moved to the sofa where I would lie down on my back and put my legs up on the sofa back. It was the only way I could releive back pain. I also did a lot of calm talking to myself. When my husband was home I would have him give me back rubs. It worked for me.

Comment

My husband and I had just started trying for our second child a week before me finding out that I have scoliosis. We have for now stopped trying until we find out more on what they planned to do. With you having gone through this with pregnancy already would you do it again? We are very excited about another child but I am scared of the pain for nine months.

Comment

Hiya,
            with fused curves of 110/60 degrees I have two children aged 7 and 5.I had no hesitation in having my second child despite some intermittemt problems.perhaps my pain was very minor when compared to yours but pregnancy related back pain is common whether or not you have scoliosis.It depends on how badly you want another child and how much you're willing to cope with.
            I always found a recliner very helpful and staying off my feet for the last few weeks was essential.I always suffered from neck pain as opposed to lower back pain and due to an increase in fluid within the joints I had absolutely no neck pain.It can go either way and it's impossible to predict who will have trouble and who won't.
            Scoliosis is hereditary to some degree, especially the adolescent idiopathic type.Neither of my children have it as yet but Even if it is passed on it may be a non progressive mild curve.
            Good luck with your decision.

Oh I almost forgot to add one thing.Could you ask your obs/gyn for a referral to an obstetric physiotherapist? Most large maternity hospitals have them in ireland and perhaps some suitable exercises would help during the pregnancy.I had one appointment during my first pregnancy and I found it very helpful
            Sins
            Last edited by sins; 11-08-2004, 12:38 PM.
            Co founder Scoliosis Support Association Ireland.

Comment

pregnancy

I have scoliosis and have had 2 kids. I had absolutely no problem carrying either one to full term and I had no back pain. The chances are about 50/50 that my kids (one boy/one girl) could develop scoliosis. I honestly never thought twice about having a baby even with scoliosis. I did think that I would have more problems than a normal pregnant women, but that was not the case.

Jenn

Comment

We have decided to continue to try for a second baby despite to scoliosis. We are currently in the 2nd month of trying. No word yet if there is a bun inthe oven as they say but will find out tomorrow. Cross your finger and I will keep you all updated. Thank you for the advice and helping us decide to go ahead and try again.

Comment

pregnancy/scoliosis

Hi everyone,
                  It has been a while since I have posted. I have been seeing an acupuncturist and it has been a life changing experience "I can walk". I am taking classes again but still disabled. I am in yoga and that has made a difference also. I wanted to comment on pregnancy. I have 4 children, and with the first I had hard labor for 36 hours, including back labor. My third child, my back herniated(no way to tell at the moment because due to being pregnant no x-rays were allowed, but my forth child was born 3 weeks early as I could hardly walk the whole time. Nobody knew what was wrong with me at the time. Now I know. I would say that the last two pregnancies had alot to do with the severity of my condition now. In 1995 my back was o.k. By 1998, after the last two pregnancies, they said I had the back of an 80 year old woman, and I felt like it also. I also went through a stressful divorce and have no help from my ex-husband or his family. My children are 16 months a part and carrying them and their diaper bags upstairs from work everyday did me in. If I had a loving and stable marriage where I knew nothing could go wrong, it would have made a difference, but doing everything on your own and putting your needs last can have devastating effects on your back. I also developed a hormone deficient problem and the doctors say It could have been because of the scoliosis, and that it contributed to the degeneration process in my spine. I would say that being in excellent shape and making sure your hormones are o.k. and you have help in case your back goes out is the safest thing for you and your baby.

Comment

Hi -- I have a couple of comments: (1) I experienced SEVERE joint laxity during the last week of my first pregnancy (I have two daughters, now aged 8 and 6), to the point where i couldn't walk. It took about 6 weeks for my sacroiliac joint to close up again and feel normal. (2) If you are planning on having an epidural, I would recommend meeting with the anesthesiologist (with an Xray of your spine) in advance of your delivery date. The person who administered my epidural with my first child had no difficulty getting it in and it took immediately. However, with my second child, the anesthesiologist (who obviously didn't know what he was doing) attemped SEVEN TIMES to get the needle into my back and kept muttering about how "severe" my curve was and how he couldn't get the needle in. For the record, my curves are 24 (T) and 30 (L). Not severe. It took MONTHS to recover from the painful aftereffects of his incompetence! So I would definitely meet with whoever will be administering the anesthesia and do it well ahead of time, since you never know. Good luck.

Comment

pregnancy

My son Daniel is now 12 years old. While I had some pregnancy complications, none of them were due to the scoliosis. He is a happy, healthy boy. He just told me they tested for scoliosis at school last week, as I'm a bit fanatical about that for him. He has a gloriously straight spine! My chiropractor never mentioned any problems that would come up, other than me possibly being more tired than usual. I loved being pregnant and am actually trying again even though I know have cervical bone spurs and minimal arthritic changes. Enjoy your pregnancy and don't worry. It can be passed genetically, but this does not mean that it will.

Comment

Delivering with a Herrington Rod

Hi,

I am new to this site and I am looking for some advice (hopefully to calm me down). I am 23 years old and 6 months pregnant. I was diagnosed with an S shape curve in 1991 and ended up having a spinal fusion in 1993. My doctors don't seem to have much experience with patients delivering with the Herrington Rod and haven't been real helpful. I am wondering if anyone knows if it is safe to get an epidural, how is the back or rod effected, etc. I would love to hear from anyone with advice. Thanks!!

Comment

Hi...

I believe that one's ability to get an epidural depends on which vertebrae are fused, and possibly whether you're in a more skilled facility. Most anesthesiologists simply tell patients with prior fusions that they cannot receive an epidural, but the truth is that it's possible for some people.

--Linda
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Epidural Vs. Pudendal Block For Delivery

Hi GreenRiley, I have a Harrington Rod since 1981 and gave birth in 1986. I was told at that time that the only epidural I could have was a "Pudendal Block" for delivery, because of the rod (I put info I had below that explains further). It doesn't go by the spinal canal as an Epidural does. I didn't have to have one with my delivery. I also have heard, as Linda mentioned, that it is possible to have an epidural. Check with your doctor to make sure and also make sure YOU tell the anesthesiologist that you have a rod in your back. I must have told mine several times and with any surgery I had, I made sure, as well as my husband did, that everyone knew there was hardware in my back. You can never be too safe. You will be fine, just focus on your breathing and you'll do great. Good luck with your baby! LYNN
                            Pudendal Block - a type of local anesthesia that is injected into the vaginal area (affecting the pudendal nerve) causing complete numbness in the vaginal area without affecting the contractions of the uterus. The woman can remain active in pushing the baby through the birth canal. It is used for vaginal deliveries.
                            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                            2000 Partial Rod Removal
                            2001 Right Scapular Resection
                            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

first pregnancy

Hello! I hope you're having a great day.
                              I'm pregnant with the first child of my husband and I. I don't have a clue what my curvature numbers are. I experience lower back pain and sometimes neck pain (though that's probably because I don't look straight ahead often enough; I use a laptop and I'm a bookworm). DH and I are unemployed; please pray that DH will get hired really soon. I'm on insurance through the state of Kansas.
                              As of yesterday, I'm supposed to stay off my feet, drink more and eat more. (I'm a skinny girl; last Thursday I only weighed 125! I seem to be losing weight and I'm eating a lot as it is) I miss exercising; even doing the dishes would be nice. I'm trying my hardest to stay in a good mood because DH is taking good care of me and if I start complaining and getting grumpy it'll be hard for both of us. God bless you all!

my Mother my Confidence,
                              Corinne

Comment

Working...
                              X