Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Surgery end Feb/Middle March

Hello,

I am finally having surgery at the end of February /Middle of March.

I am a female 50 years old living in central NC

I am very nervous.

I have so many questions.

I have fibromalygia and so many issues and pain associated with it as well

What did you take to the hospital that you needed?

What did you not have there that you needed ?

What did you wear when you first came home?

Did you go to a rehab before you came home?

What kind of chair did you find most comfortable?

How long was it until you could wash your hair?

What could you never do again once you had the surgery?

These are the first of my questions.I am sure that I will have many more

Melissa

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
    Hello,

I am finally having surgery at the end of February /Middle of March.

I am a female 50 years old living in central NC

I am very nervous.

I have so many questions.

I have fibromalygia and so many issues and pain associated with it as well

Lip Balm, moisturiser and baby oil, because the air cond dries out your skin

Sanitary wear, forgot it - possibility of getting menses after surgery

PJ's - short ride home (15mins), practically lived in them unless i had to go out or go for my daily walk.

I didn't go to rehab - just told to walk half hour everyday.

A frim chair with two armrests to help you get up. Leg muscles are sometimes weak after surgery.

I showered on day 2 post-op and washed my hair then. The nurses dried it for me though. Just having a shower makes you very tired.

I'm slowly getting back to doing all the things i used to do, but some are done in a different way. As yet, i haven't found something i can't do, however, this question could pertain to a lot of things. The only thing maybe would be, that i am not allowed to play netball anymore!

These are the first of my questions.I am sure that I will have many more

Melissa
    Hi Melissa,
    I hope this helps. You will indeed have many more questions and the people on this forum are awesome, just ask and you shall receive!
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I have a list of items on my website:
      http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Tshirts (I had a postop brace) and sweatpants

No

anything that didn't have a cushy seat

13 wretched days

put on pantyhose without having to lay on my back in bed
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks so much

Just finding this forum has been great

I have much anxiety from the fibro and now with the surgery it is just incredible.

Everyone here seems to be so knowledgeable

Melissa

Comment

Thanks for the answers

Another question already

My doctor did noit say any thing about a brace.

Why or why not would a person wear one?

Thanks

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
            Thanks for the answers

Another question already

My doctor did noit say any thing about a brace.

Why or why not would a person wear one?

Thanks

Melissa
            Hi Melissa...

Some surgeons brace all their patients. Some surgeons brace none of their patients. Postop braces used to be more common, but the current implants are so secure that many surgeons feel there's no need for one.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I see.

I am creating a list for my suregoen and here goes another question on it

Thanks

Melissa

Comment

Loose PJs, and a gown for walking round the halls. Toothbrush, hairbrush, rubber soled slip on slippers/scuffs for walking. A going home outfit - had to walk a fair way to the carpark.

Nothing. Your needs are very few really. I could not be bothered with computers, phones, mp3s, nor reading. Some people say wear satin pjs and I took one pair. I could not sit propped up in them to watch tv or talk to visitors, because I kept sliding down.

t shirt with trackpants. No bra. Didn't wear a bra for several weeks.

No.

A firm one that you don't sink into.

Day 4, the day after the epidurals were taken out. I once said it was Day 2 but it couldn't have been because I still had all the tubes and wires attached until Day 4. I blame the drugs.

I really struggle with socks. I have difficulty bringing my foot up to the opposite knee. In fact I have difficult raising my knee up past about right angles to my body. I couldn't entertain the idea of pantyhose! I shave with a razor taped to a wooden spoon handle.

Did I have a brace? No.

Many more questions will come to mind, so ask away!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I didn't need or want anything after the surgery until about Day 3 or 4. At which time I was moved to a rehab ward, where physical therapy was available. Nothing strenuous, they just wanted to make sure I was aware of restrictions (lifting) and was able to walk and do a few steps. I was in rehab for 4 days, but pt only available 2, due to weekend.... Wore a brace for 6-8 weeks, but not long and not very often as I was pretty inactive, all in all. Hard chair to sit in, arms help. I did need a toothbrush and lip balm more than anything else while in the hospital. I used a bed jacket a lot, because I was so very cold. (Still am very cold.) I washed my hair as soon as I was allowed to. My hair is very short, and easy to take care of! I don't think there's anything I can't do now, right off the top of my head. I ride on the back of my hubby's Harley, and I have ridden, although am currently restricted due to additional surgery for six weeks. Too cold anyway! We hope to take a road trip this summer! Have been limited distance/duration ever since the surgery, so we are really antsy to hit the pavement!

Keep asking those questions! They'll help relieve your concerns as you get closer to surgery. Ask away!
                  Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                  Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                  T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                  Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                  Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                  Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                  Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                  Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                  Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Hi!

I just had my surgery - today is the 3 week mark. About the brace, during all my pre-op consultations my doctors said I would need to wear one for three months, but when I woke up after the operation and asked for it, they said that I didn't need one after all. I'm very grateful not to have to wear one, although yesterday me and my Mum went to town for coffee and I was terrified of getting jostled by people who wouldn't know that there was anything wrong with me, and kind of wished I had the brace as a sort of warning sign for other people!

In hospital the only thing I took that I actually used was a radio (with sound block headphones) that was a real godsend after the third or fourth day when I started to get a bit better. It blocked out the nasty hospital sounds like beeping and I could listen to comedy programmes and the news and keep up to date, or just drift of listening to music. Sometimes I just had the headphones in with the radio off to act as earplugs. Hospitals can be noisy places!

After day 3 I was allowed to change out of the hospital gown into my own pyjamas which was lovely - the hospital was quite cold so I had warm ones. You will definitely need a good pair of slippers.

I was grateful to have my mobile phone with me as well.

I didn't bring any sanitary towels or products as I wasn't due at all, but the nurses told me that in 95% of cases the operation brings on early menstruation, and sure enough it did - and all I had to use were the really horrible nappy/(diaper)-type pants that the hospital provided which I hated, so I would have brought those if I had known!!

When you come out of hospital be sure to get a grabber, as you can't bend down. I didn't have one for the first two days and it was really frustrating having to ask for help putting my knickers on!!

Good luck!!!! Its amazing when you look in the mirror the first time and you are straight!
                    22 years old
                    Diagnosed at 15 with scoliosis.
                    Surgery 10th December 2009 with Mr Alex Gibson at the RNOH Stanmore in London.

Comment

You folks are so amazing .You are making me feel that I can almost make it it thru the several weeks of waiting without having a nervous breakdown. I am so used to taking care of others that it is weird to think of others taking care of me. My one big concern is that both of my children who are multiple special needs children and I just hope and pray that with me being away and having this surgery does not set them off and something happens to them that I cannot help them with. My husband, who is their father is useless in many ways . He himself has mental illness which he is now after 30 years of being pushed to get help by me and 3 years of being pushed to get help by our daughter is going to see a Doctor.He does not care for their needs properly nor does he care to find out what their needs are

Take care

Thanks so much

Melissa

Comment

Melissa you sound really sweet! They are going to be just as concerned about taking care of you! Is there anyone you can ask to help out just for the first couple of weeks when you're feeling a bit weak? My Mum asked my Grandparents down which was really good for her as it calmed her down a bit and gave me a chance to rest rather than worry about helping her so much around the house. Or if your children have any aunts/really good friends that can stay over and help out?

as for your husband he sounds just like my Dad. We have never had a relationship as he is (we think) clinically depressed and seems to hate everyone, but he refuses to do anything about it even though it upsets my Mum and the rest of our family so much, but in the end it was him who was the one that was able to calm me down the most when I was in pain after my surgery, so you never know, in times of stress people can really surprise you.
                        22 years old
                        Diagnosed at 15 with scoliosis.
                        Surgery 10th December 2009 with Mr Alex Gibson at the RNOH Stanmore in London.

Comment

Thanks for saying that. Most of the time people do say that I am sweet except when it comes to my children, when it comes to getting them help in school or with the medical profession then I become a bear.

As to help, I do have some really great friends who will help me. I have no relatives at all. I don't know how much you know about the geography of the US. I had lived my entire life in the North East . 22 years in NY and 24 years in NJ and then my Dad , who had lived with us after my Mom died , passed away. We had always wanted to move South so we did it .In 2007 we moved to Central North Carolina and We love it here. The people are wonderful and usually the weather is great, except for this week and last.

The only living relative I have is my brother who is currently suing me over my Dad's money. My husband has his parents who will do nothing for me.

So as my Dad always said you can pick your friends anyway.

So I have friends who are already saying :what can I do?"

It is just hard for me to accept help when I am always the one giving help"

Thanks for all the great advice

Melisssa

Originally posted by hamlette View Post
                          Melissa you sound really sweet! They are going to be just as concerned about taking care of you! Is there anyone you can ask to help out just for the first couple of weeks when you're feeling a bit weak? My Mum asked my Grandparents down which was really good for her as it calmed her down a bit and gave me a chance to rest rather than worry about helping her so much around the house. Or if your children have any aunts/really good friends that can stay over and help out?

as for your husband he sounds just like my Dad. We have never had a relationship as he is (we think) clinically depressed and seems to hate everyone, but he refuses to do anything about it even though it upsets my Mum and the rest of our family so much, but in the end it was him who was the one that was able to calm me down the most when I was in pain after my surgery, so you never know, in times of stress people can really surprise you.

Comment

Melissa, I found that people really come to the fore for you after this surgery. I think it might bring out the best in your husband and kids. But if not, I am glad you have friends. It's very hard to be looked after when you're used to looking after others, but it will be necessary for a short while. When you've recovered, you will look more fondly on those who cared about you during this time. I feel much closer to my partner, kids and a couple of close friends, since surgery.

Hamlette, you are doing so well for three weeks! I didn't leave hospital until day 19, and it was another week or so before I could even sit at a computer. You young people amaze me with your resilience. I hope the remainder of your recovery is smooth.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Melissa,

One little tidbit...ask one of your friends to go to this website and set up an account for you...it's free. You could do it yourself, but ask someone else to organize it since you sound pretty busy. It's http://www.lotsahelpinghands.com/
                              and it's a great way to organize meals, kids' care, etc. I was able to check the website and would know who was cooking what for me and when. It sounds like you might need help with more than just meals.

Also, buy a raised toilet seat. Sounds strange, but I used it for weeks! I also had tons of pillows in my bed for positioning and a pad of paper on my nightstand to keep track of when I took meds and how much. Though hard chairs are easier to sit in, I always had a little pillow to rest my back on when I sat in a hard chair.
                              Kathy, 43
                              Diagnosed as a teen
                              Boston brace 2 years
                              63 degree lumbar curve
                              Surgery August 26, 2009
                              Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                              now 28 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X