Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy questions!

Hi,
    I'm 16 weeks pregnant with twins & remember being told by my surgeon that I probably wouldn't be able to get a spinal or epidural since I'm fused to my sacrum. Did anyone find a way around this ? Otherwise they say I might have to be knocked out the old fashion way since I'll most likely get a C-section! Thanks.
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Hi Jenn...

I remember hearing from women who have had fusions, but have received epidurals, but I don't think they were fused to the sacrum. It seems to me that if your entire lumbar spine is fused, there would be no way to get to the spinal cord without drilling through the bone.

Best of luck with your pregnancy and delivery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Guys: Take it from me - I was told years ago when I was younger I would probably never be able to carry a child to full term. Well, of course, I didn't listen. My husband and I have a wonderful, straight-A 13-year-old son who is more than perfect! I could not have asked for more - a wonderful husband who is my brick, helps me all the time, more than he will ever know, and even a son who loves us both with all his heart! So, just remember, it CAN happen. I know you are wondering about after surgery -and I had not had surgery prior to delivering, but the heart of my story is that doctors don't know it all.... Ha! I did have a little problem with SI pain and left leg sometimes had some numbness because of the baby pressing on my SI joint - but that pain was well worth the outcome, if you know what I mean. I wouldn't have missed it for the world!!!! And, you know, if we have a loving family who supports us, like I do, we can achieve anything!!! I hope and pray you have that support - everyone needs that. It helps us endure the agonizing pain we have day after day, all day long.
      Hope this helps some.
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Hi Rita...

I don't think Summer was concerned about delivering, she was just asking if an epidural is possible.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had a son 3 months ago and am fused from L3 to T4 - I was not allowed an epidural and I delivered naturally.
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I had my spinal fusion when I was 18 and had my first baby at 30. I was able to have a spinal, thank God, as I had pitocin and the pain was awful!

With the second baby I had a different anethesiologist, and he said that I should have never gotten the spinal - the risks are too great. If an infection would get in there the fusion would have to come out. So, just nubane for that birth, was it was ok! Much, much easier delivery, it progressed on its own and I didn't need the pitocin.

I am due with our third baby in June. I pray that it goes as well as #2 and I don't need the pitocin!

good luck to you!

Comment

I was able to have an epidural only because I was not fused all the way down. My fusion actually stopped about two spots before the epidural. He said if I had been fused further, they would not have been able to give me an epidural because the needle would not be able to go through the bone graft!! I was so thankful. I am a sissy and I did not want to have nautural labor. Just knock me out!
              Jamie Age 29
              Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
              2008 Curves - 39/63/44
              Surgery Date - 3/25/08
              T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Originally posted by JamieR View Post
                I was able to have an epidural only because I was not fused all the way down. My fusion actually stopped about two spots before the epidural. He said if I had been fused further, they would not have been able to give me an epidural because the needle would not be able to go through the bone graft!! I was so thankful. I am a sissy and I did not want to have nautural labor. Just knock me out!
                Jamie,

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me since the bone graft is on either side of the spine. I was told I could have an epidural cortisone shot for lingering nerve pain in my leg and my fusion is a low fusion. Maybe Linda will jump in here to clarify this for us.

Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

First of all - Congratulations!!!!!!

I am fused T3 to L4 and had a spinal both during regular delivery & my c-section when I had my DD 2 years ago. A spinal is different than an epidural. Here's a great description of the differences: http://www.brighamandwomens.org/pain...ing/csreg.aspx

The spinal is given as a single dose which wears off within 2-3 hours of being given whereas the epidural can stay in for up to 24 hours. With my spinal, I was able to walk, roll over & squat during regular delivery. They did something a little different with the 2nd one given before the c-section. That one numbed my legs & feet.

I met with an anesthesiologist about 1 month prior to my due date to discuss my options. I brought my x-rays to the meeting and she noted in my chart that the spinal was the best option and at what level would work best. You really should do the same.

Comment

Oh Summer, Congratulations!!!

I'm so glad to hear that you are pregnant, and w/ twins. I am sooooo happy
                    for you!!!

All my best God blessings to you,
                    Shari

Comment

i think the issue is the "fused to the sacrum"! i was told i wouldnt be able to have myleogram after fusion operation..so i assume...maybe i am wrong..that if fluid cant go in the spine for one purpose, it cant go in for any purpose...or come out either? no spinal taps after fusion to sacrum?
                      am i correct?

jess

Comment

Originally posted by HGD24 View Post
                        I met with an anesthesiologist about 1 month prior to my due date to discuss my options. I brought my x-rays to the meeting and she noted in my chart that the spinal was the best option and at what level would work best. You really should do the same.
                        HGD24, this is actually a great plan for UNfused patients, as well.

With my rotation, I'd had *several* particularly miserable lumbar punctures as a kid because nothing was where it was supposed to be.

Both of my deliveries were pre-fusion. My first kiddo showed up in 2-1/2 hours (plus, I went from 3-8 cm in 15 minutes), and left no time for anesthesia. Personally, I had no interest in repeating that experience.

I met with the anesthesiologist in the few months before I had my 2nd kid so they could "map" my back. Highly advisable for anyone planning for an epidural.

Pam
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

epidural/spinal??

In order to do a spinal or an epidural the anesthetist needs a space between the appropriate vertebrae to place a needle. Common spaces used for delivery are between:L2 to L3, L-3 to L-4, L-4 to L-5, L-5 to S-1(Sacrum).

If any of these spaces are fused together then epidural or spinal are not possible. There is no place to place the needle for either spinal or epidural.

A spinal means anesthetic is placed in the cerebral spinal fluid which bathes the spinal cord. An epidural means anesthetic is placed in the epidural space which bathes the nerve roots with anesthetic. A caudal injection is near the tailbone and can also be used for delivery.

Some anesthesia providers are not comfortable doing this because scarring may be present and anesthetic effectiveness may be unreliable.

Before I had my revision I was fused to L-3. I needed a D & C but had a cold so the anesthesiologisrt said he would do a spinal. I mentioned I was fused but he said he was a pain doc and "did this all the time". The spinal did not work and I needed general anesthesia after all.
                          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Karen you are right. I had forgotten. It was not the bone graft that would keep me from getting an epidural, it was where I was fused. An Pam is also right, I had to show them my xrays so they could see where I was fused to so they could decide if an epidural was possible or not. My memory sucks!
                            Jamie Age 29
                            Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                            2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                            Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                            T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Summer,

I don't have any answers or stories to relate to like others do, but I'm glad you brought up the subject. I am not fused and had my daughter 3 years ago with an epidural, though I am looking at surgery in the future. The pregnancy/epidural issue had been weighing on my mind for a while. I've come to terms with the possibility of getting knocked out when I finally can have another baby (if I get fused of course!). I'd rather have a baby more than anything and not worry how the delivery happens. All that matters to me is having that baby to love. Cherish these months of pregnancy and I hope all goes well no matter how it happens!
                              Tiffany K
                              I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
                              4'11", never braced
                              Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
                              T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Working...
                              X