Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new - just had surgery on 10th December

Hi everyone!

I'm new to posting on this forum although I read many of the posts before having my operation 13 days ago. I got home from hospital 4 days ago. I had my surgery in the UK with Mr Gibson at Stanmore, London. I'm 22 and had two curves, one was 30 and the other 55, and had posterior surgery. I'm back home now and am really worried I'm going to damage my rods somehow! I'm almost worried I'm recovering too quickly as apart from the ongoing slight pain, which doesn't bother me too much (sometimes I forget to take painkillers) I feel fine. Is it wise to try and get back to normal as soon as possible or is it best to just take it slowly, even if you feel like you can do more? The district nurse came round today to remove my dressing but my scar hasn't healed so she just changed it, and I'm worried it's because I'm moving around too much. Did anyone else feel the same so soon after surgery?

Merry Christmas to all!

Hamlette xxx
    22 years old
    Diagnosed at 15 with scoliosis.
    Surgery 10th December 2009 with Mr Alex Gibson at the RNOH Stanmore in London.

Hamlette, I had my surgery on December 9th and had both Anterior and Poterior surgery. I was told to take it easy for at least 4 months. I went to my first follow-up yesterday and all my incisions are closed. I would rather play it safe and do less. The only thing my doctor wants me to do is walk. I also have to wear a brace.

rich

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply Rich. We had our surgery the same sort of time then! Do you feel like you want to walk a lot or are you more tired a lot of the time? I've been home 4 days and have itchy feet - I can't actually go for a walk here though because there is so much snow on the ground and I wouldn't want to risk slipping on the ice, so have been housebound and bored. I'm going to learn to knit this week I think! 4 months seems such a long time to be bored :-(
      22 years old

Comment

I wouldn't do anything too vigorous, or lifting objects that are too heavy, etc. However, if you over-do, I'm sure that your body will let you know.

Good luck with your recovery,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi there! I'm 18 and I had surgery on September 30th of this year. That's great that you are feeling better and better. However definitely take things slow because things on the inside are still healing. I just had my 12 post opp check up yesterday and the bone is healing but it'll still take a few more months for it to complete. You don't want to disturb your body while it's healing. My doctor and physical therapist said that the first few weeks are crucial to the healing process and if I were to fall or anything it could damage all the work that was done. So definitely take it easy. At 12 weeks I just got the "ok" from my doc to return to work and school. So you may be feeling wonderful but you're body is probably still working to getting you back to 100%. Hope you continue to recover well + smoothly! :}
          Maliha

Comment

Hamlette, I live in Central California, so I don't have to deal with snow. I am okay with walking. I went with my wife Christmas shopping yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I did have somebody run into my back with their shopping cart, which wasn't too bad because of the hard plastic brace that I wear. I know what you mean, 4 months is a long time. My Doctor said that 4 months is a good case scenario and it could be as long as 6. I also have to find something to do, so far just surf the web.

rich

Comment

Wow - Christmas really tired me out having so many people here and being up all day! The snow has all melted now so had my first walk outside and didn't get very far at all so I guess I'm not as well as I thought I was, just being confined to the house had me bored! My appetite has come back now so hopefully I'll be getting stronger, and I've learned to knit which is going to be my new hobby to pass the recovery time! I hope everybody had a great Christmas!

P.S. Rich - I can't believe someone drove a shopping trolley into your back - that must have been quite scary! Glad you're Ok!
              22 years old

Comment

welcome to the forum hamlette! Hope your recovery gets easier every day. Im scheduled for surgery on jan 6th.
                -Bethany
                pre-op L 74*
                pre-op Th 56*
                surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
                getting nervous

Comment

Hi Hamlette,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you are feeling so well. I agree with the others that it is best to take it pretty easy for the first few months.

I'm a lot older than you are and they expect the fusion to take 12-18 months so I have to be careful for a long time, but I've found plenty to do within my limits. I was told not to pick up or carry anything more than 10 pounds; not to twist at all and not to do a lot of repetitive leaning over. After my first post-op checkup I was told to do lots and lots of walking and a few other exercises that the nurse gave to me. Since I am not suppose to bend over repeatedly, I use a grabber to get the laundry in and out of the machines.
                  Since I can't pick up and carry more than 10 pounds, I make several trips with light loads (which means more walking and that is good).

It was hard for me to lie around so much. I was used to being very active but rest is important for healing so I hope you have find things (like the knitting) that you enjoy doing.

Take care,

Sheri
                  At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                  Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                  Excellent correction

Comment

Hi Hamlette,
                    Welcome to the forum. I quit my pain meds on day 15 post-op as i only had minor discomfort myself, however, as my surgeon strictly said not to do anything but walk until 3 months post-op, i did exactly that (kind of). It wasn't easy, as i was used to doing quite a bit in one day. What levels are you fused (or did i miss that somewhere - still recovering from xmas day, wedding rehearsal get together, wedding reception and post wedding get together!) As others have said before me, i think you should take it slow and easy for a while. Wishing you a uncomplicated and speedy recovery!
                    Vali
                    44 years young! now 45
                    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                    Post -op - 5 degrees
                    T11 - S1 Posterior
                    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

If the pain is really not that bad then, should I stop taking the meds? Originally I was taking Tramadol and then just normal over-the-counter paracetamol and iboprufen, and I'm not just on Tramadol... should I stop altogether? I have to take antibiotics for the next week and I've got into a routine of taking the Tramadol with them, but I don't want to get addicted!!

I'm also really terrified I'm doing damage if I accidentally twist or bend slightly, or pick something up thats a bit heavy, like the other day I picked up my cat (who is small but not weightless!) and then I really panicked and couldn't sleep because I was so worried I'd broken something!! Did anyone else have these worries?!?! Am I doing actual damage if I bend slightly, or will my body tell me (via pain) if I'm really doing damage?!?!
                      22 years old

Comment

Originally posted by Vali View Post
                        Hi Hamlette,
                        Welcome to the forum. I quit my pain meds on day 15 post-op as i only had minor discomfort myself, however, as my surgeon strictly said not to do anything but walk until 3 months post-op, i did exactly that (kind of). It wasn't easy, as i was used to doing quite a bit in one day. What levels are you fused (or did i miss that somewhere - still recovering from xmas day, wedding rehearsal get together, wedding reception and post wedding get together!) As others have said before me, i think you should take it slow and easy for a while. Wishing you a uncomplicated and speedy recovery!
                        Vali congratulations on the wedding!!!!!! Did it feel wonderful to be totally straight in your dress?!?! I'm not actually sure what levels I'm fused - I'm in the UK (I don't know if that makes a difference) I'm sure it's written somewhere but I don't actually know myself... I'm fused from the bottom of my neck to my waist, so relatively high up, and I had two curves, the bigger of which was 60 degrees!!
                        22 years old

Comment

Sorry Hamlette, i think my post may have been a little misleading! The wedding reception was for friends of ours from Kansas. Scott (Australia) and Molly (Ohio) were married in Ohio last November, returned home for Xmas with family and given an Aussie reception for all family and friends that did not make it to the US. As for me, the only thing i am concerned about at the moment is - will i be capable of holding my new (and first) grandchild due next week!
                          Vali
                          44 years young! now 45
                          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                          Post -op - 5 degrees
                          T11 - S1 Posterior

Comment

Hi Hamlette, i just re-read your first post. I think that if you are forgetting to take your pain meds and really only having some discomfort as opposed to pain, then you should definitely give the meds the flick. If i'm correct Tramadol is a very strong pain med and if you were finding relief with simple OTC paracetamol, then stick with that. I had some Panadeine Forte left from hospital which i took home and used them if needed otherwise simple Panadol was sufficient. I was not allowed ibuprofen. With regards to the B,L & T'ing, your body will surely let you know if you have done something as it can be painful or even very achy for several days. My advice, find something you are really interested in or have always wanted to do or learn and do it now while in recovery. When i told my neighbor that i was not allowed to do anything for 12 weeks, he suggested i write a book!
                            Vali
                            44 years young! now 45
                            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                            Post -op - 5 degrees
                            T11 - S1 Posterior

Comment

"I was so worried I'd broken something!! Did anyone else have these worries?!?! "

Oh yes! I worried about everything early out. But you slowly come to realise that this hardware is very solid and secure and it would take more than a little twist or bump to dislodge something. But you're wise to take care though, just in case, and for your own peace of mind.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X