crazy pelvis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazy pelvis

Had my pre op appointment today. My doc said that my legs are even but my pelvis is not so if he makes the pelvis so thatt its even then my legs will not be. And i might have to wear a lift and it might be quite irritating. I dont know if i should ask him to even me out cuz it might be better for my spine and hips in the long run; or if i should have him kinda keep it how it is now. If im walking barefoot and my pelvis is even but my legs are not, how would i feel? ahh i dunno what to do. any advice?
    -Bethany
    pre-op L 74*
    pre-op Th 56*
    surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
    getting nervous

At my six month appt. I asked my surgeon if I should wear a heel lift. When I am barefooted and stand with my feet flat on the floor, I tilt to the left and my left shoulder is lower than my right. He was against a heel lift but didn't explain why. I find I tend, when I'm standing, to lift the heel of my left foot, just to "feel" even.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

hmmmmm, see i think it would drive me crazy like that. but maybe that why one of my hips hurt when walking a long distance. (because of being uneven) i dunno. arrrgg thanks jennifer for your imput.
      -Bethany
      pre-op L 74*
      pre-op Th 56*
      surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
      getting nervous

Comment

I actually have 1 leg shorter than the other, which I feel contributed to the scoliosis. I've worn Orthotics in my shoes since I was diagnosed 20 years ago. I don't wear them in dress shoes, but feel much more comfortable when I have them in my tennis shoes. Because of that, I wear tennis shoes almost all the time!

Good luck!

Comment

I wore a heel lift since the age of 12. I never really caused me any problems.

After my surgery, I stood for an xray in my bare feet, my hips were even so I didn't have to wear one again. I would wear it if my hips were uneven, because I wouldn't want to cause extra pain if I didn't have to.

I would also wonder if it would affect my fusion in any way???

When I was younger, I wasn't big on wearing shoes, so I sewed a leather lift into a few pairs of socks. Silly, I know, but it worked for me.

I would ask your Doctor what he thinks!!!

Shari

Comment

I wear a lift...a pretty significant one. 2cm. Actually its big enough that surgeons consider surgical shortening or lengthening of one leg at that point (usually shortening). I felt I would rather not have my leg broken and have the surgery for it.

My pelvis was also malformed, which is what they believe led to one leg "growing" shorter than the other, to compensate. So, mine is a leg length discrepancy...but I would imagine it would feel similar either way. Anyhow, when I don't have a lift in I feel really lopsided, I actually walk around the house with one croc shoe on because that way it causes less pain. Also, according to my surgeon if I don't wear a lift (not a heel lift, its built onto the bottom of my shoe...which looks kind of weird, but whatever) it could impact the fusing by placing undue stress on the rods by one side being pulled down.

Shari, that is ingenious! A lift in the sock! I need way more lift than comes in a heel lift, but wow! Good idea!
            25 years old
            double 70+ degree curves before surgery
            Anterior on 11/11/08
            Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
            nearly perfect correction
            fused t-10 to pelvis
            with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
            Broke left rod on 10/24/09
            Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
            Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
            Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Working...
            X