opinions please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions please :)

Ok so for Christmas I was thinking of making my mom a "hospital survivors kit" haha because she is staying with me while I am in the hospital. I got a few things like shampoo/conditioner, crossword, and search word puzzle books, and dunkins gift certificate bc there is one in the hospital, but what else can I put in it?! I feel bad she will be there for 10-14 days with me..Any suggestions?!

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Hi Megz,
    Is she into any crafts such as scrapbooking, cardmaking?
    Does she knit, crochet, do embroidery?
    If there is a salon near the hospital, you could get her a voucher for a massage, mani/pedi, facial..........
    A Dan Brown novel or maybe a saucy Jackie Collins one, how about a thrilling one by Stephen King?
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

gifts for mom

You are so sweet to be thinking about your mom! As a mom who is about to have my own scoliosis surgery in January....I can assure you that I would rather it be me going through this than my child. Your mom would do anything for you and to see you not have to face this. Try to stay positive and be a "good patient". It will be breaking her heart to see you suffer. I know they have books on CDs at bookstores and Cracker Barrels....in case she can't focus on reading. From what I've been told...the meds willm ake it hard for you to read too...so maybe you should get a book on CD for yourself. I am planning to do that for when it's my turn.

ckieft

Comment

You might want to include something yummy that she can share with the nursing staff. I also thought it might be fun to include a book on learning something new (a language, a craft, sodoku). She'll have an awful lot of hours spent doing very little, and she might want to make the most of it.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Some really good suggestions you are getting here.
          Maybe some of her favorite teabags and a mug, lip balm, a diary. I found I couldn't focus on reading for long stretches so magazines or readers digest.
          mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
          diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
          also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
          fused T4 to L1

Comment

Megz, I just asked my wife, because she stayed with me the whole time there. She said, Tylenol and phone charger. She also checked with the hospital to see if they had wi-fi, which they did (she is a teacher, so she did her work on her laptop). She also brought herself a fan, just in case I was cold and she wasn't. She also took slippers, because she would put them on in order to get me ice or water from down the hallway. A camera is another thing she brought. A lot of snacks is another good idea, sometimes she wouldn't want to go down to the cafeteria. I wasn't very hungry, so she ate some of my food. The hospital was very accomodating, they brought her a roll away bed, blankets and pillows. She also had to figure out the parking situation and was allowed to buy a week pass for a cheaper rate.

rich

Comment

If she likes coffee maybe one of those starbucks "brew your own" cups with a few fun flavors. I know my mom hated hospital coffee. A good pillow or blanket might be nice, or some massaging ( or not) slippers (my husband says they are a necessity) A photo of the two of you during a happy time might be good, because my mom said it was hard to remember it was going to get better. An eye mask (if you have a roomate or if a nurse comes in she might get woken up by lights coming on. Some healthy snacks would be nice. Also, maybe some lounge pants that look fairly decent, so she won't feel weird wearing them, but will still be comfy.
              25 years old
              double 70+ degree curves before surgery
              Anterior on 11/11/08
              Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
              nearly perfect correction
              fused t-10 to pelvis
              with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
              Broke left rod on 10/24/09
              Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
              Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
              Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Wow, what a great idea and some awesome suggestions. Love them all.

The one thing I wanted my caregiver to have, was a camera. It was important to me that someone took pictures of me during the times I was never going to remember.

Might seem like a weird idea, but I'm glad I have them, it just took a while before I got them developed.

Best of wishes,
                Shari

Comment

Working...
                X