Another study connects asymmetry and Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another study connects asymmetry and Scoliosis

August 2009: Comparison of the Melatonin and Calmodulin in Paravertebral Muscle and Platelets of Patients With or Without Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis

Conclusion. AIS group had an asymmetric distribution of calmodulin in paraspinal muscle, higher at the convex side and lower at the concave. Neither platelet melatonin nor platelet calmodulin was found to be representative of the muscle protein values.
    Another study found an asymmetry in children with Scoliosis. This time the asymmetry occured in a protein called Calmodulin found in muscle cells. It should be noted that Calmodulin is significantly impacted by exercise.

You might be asking yourself if this Calmodulin asymmetry in the paraspinal muscles is a cause or consequence of Scoliosis. It's possible that we already have an answer. Two recent studies found that Tamoxifen, a Calmodulin antagonist puts Scoliosis in reverse.

March 2009: The Effect of Calmodulin Antagonists on Experimental Scoliosis: A Pinealectomized Chicken Model

Conclusion. The incidence and magnitude of scoliosis in pinealectomized chicken may be decreased by the administration of TMX, presumably because of this drugs' calmodulin antagonism. Further studies on higher animals and dosage and timing are required.
    April 2009: The effect of calmodulin antagonists on scoliosis: bipedal C57BL/6 mice model.

This study has demonstrated that TMX is effective in changing the natural history of scoliotic deformities in C57BL6 mice model favorably.
    Last edited by Dingo; 12-14-2009, 08:48 AM.

You realize that this paper is contradictory to what Moreau is trying to patent.
    "Tissue melatonin concentrations were not found to be significantly different between the groups or the side of the paraspinal muscles."

"Results were similar for both groups for melatonin as well as calmodulin and muscle concentrations were not correlated with platelet concentrations.
    This discrepancy of findings may be explained with several different reasons, one being the amount of platelet rich plasma being used, a whole unit in our study compared with much smaller amounts in others; differences in methodology as it has not been possible to follow the exact same methodology reported by the others in this study; by the fact
    that all patients in this study already had progressed and relatively stabilized scoliotic curves; and finally, by the possibility that platelets are indeed not mini muscle models in terms of melatonin and calmodulin ratios. It also has to be stressed that only 3 patients in the control group were available for the platelet calmodulin examination, a limitation of this study which might have affected the comparison between groups, but not necessarily the comparison between the muscle and platelet values in the AIS group."

Comment

multiple treatments

You realize that this paper is contradictory to what Moreau is trying to patent.
      Moreau's patent relates to high levels of Osteopontin not Calmodulin.

(WO/2008/119170) METHOD OF DETERMINING RISK OF SCOLIOSIS

Like most diseases scientists will probably develop a few different methods to treat Scoliosis.

Comment

It is all still part of the same regulatory pathway and this is a report of contradictory data. At least a theory that the calmodulin levels are changed as a consequence of load differences and not an indicator of cause or progression.

I apologize that I got one stupid patent confused with another.

p
        Last edited by PNUTTRO; 12-14-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
          Like most diseases scientists will probably develop a few different methods to treat Scoliosis.
          If a disease is treated with more that one method, it just means the newer methods aren't much better than the old one.

Comment

This is the second time he posted something that contradicted an earlier "truth" of his.

I am not trying to beat that dead horse. I am hoping he realizes that there is an OCEAN of stuff that he doesn't understand and there is an even bigger ocean of things that he isn't even aware off as it relates to this subject.

If scoliosis research was easy we could all do it.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

contradictory?

PNUTTRO

It is all still part of the same regulatory pathway and this is a report of contradictory data.
              Perhaps many different proteins are involved in Scoliosis. For obvious reasons that opens up the possibility for multiple modes of treatment. Is one protein involved in heart disease or cancer? Is there only one medicine for these diseases?

I think in a previous post you mentioned that you work in the scientific community. What is it that you do?
              Last edited by Dingo; 12-14-2009, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I think in a previous post you mentioned that you work in the scientific community. What is it that you do?
                Stunning.

So depending on her answer, are you going to decide whether her comment is correct or false?

And your credentials to evaluate her credentials would be...?
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I count one post over the "one comment per page of Dingo's discussion" rule

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                  Stunning.

So depending on her answer, are you going to decide whether her comment is correct or false?

And your credentials to evaluate her credentials would be...?
                  and

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                  This is the second time he posted something that contradicted an earlier "truth" of his.

I am not trying to beat that dead horse. I am hoping he realizes that there is an OCEAN of stuff that he doesn't understand and there is an even bigger ocean of things that he isn't even aware off as it relates to this subject.

If scoliosis research was easy we could all do it.

Comment

Not my words

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/4/1/13

"LHS concept, melatonin-signaling pathway dysfunction,
                    osteopontin and sCD44
                    In progressive AIS, Moreau and colleagues [74,75] reported melatonin-signaling transduction to be impaired in osteoblasts, myoblasts and lymphocytes, caused by the dysfunction of G inhibitory (Gi) proteins. This mechanism does not appear to explain:
                    • the association of an excess of severe TA with relatively
                    lower BMI suggesting a link with energy homeostasis
                    (this paper); and
                    • disturbance in the autonomic nervous system regulating blood flow to the anterior chest wall in girls with right thoracic AIS [76-79] – unless the sympathetic nervous system also has Gi-signaling defect, or induces a Gi-signaling defect in growth plates and bone (see below).
                    Most recently, Moreau et al [80,81] report mean plasma osteopontin (OPN) levels are increased in patients with (1) idiopathic scoliosis, correlating significantly with curve severity, and in (2) "an asymptomatic at-risk group" (offspring born from at least one scoliotic parent). In contrast, mean plasma levels of soluble CD44 receptor (sCD44) are significantly lower in patients with Cobb angles of 45 degrees or more [80,81]. No OPN or sCD44 data are published for non-familial TA with or without spinal deformity."

Comment

[QUOTE=hdugger;87603]I count one post over the "one comment per page of Dingo's discussion" rule

Glad I didn't agree to that.

Comment

what does that have to do with Calmodulin?

PNUTTRO

LHS concept, melatonin-signaling pathway dysfunction, osteopontin and sCD44 In progressive AIS...
                        What does that have to do with the 3 Calmodulin studies I posted?

When did you come up with the hypothesis that each disease impacts 1 protein and will have 1 treatment?

Honestly, what do you do in the field of science?

Comment

PNUTTRO

Perhaps many different proteins are involved in Scoliosis. For obvious reasons that opens up the possibility for multiple modes of treatment. Is one protein involved in heart disease or cancer? Is there only one medicine for these diseases?

I will give a biblical reference, for Sharon's sake, and since I just read it this morning and it applies to this question.

Matthew 21:23-27

Comment

You're discussing the substance of the finding. There's no limit on that.[QUOTE=PNUTTRO;87605]
                            Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                            I count one post over the "one comment per page of Dingo's discussion" rule

Glad I didn't agree to that.

Comment

I guess I have my answer

PNUTTRO

I will give a biblical reference, for Sharon's sake, and since I just read it this morning and it applies to this question.

Matthew 21:23-27
                              I chat with a few different researchers in the field of Scoliosis. You don't write like a scientist. You don't work in the scientific community do you?

Comment

Working...
                              X