blood donating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood donating

i was planning on donating blood so my daughter wouldn't have to do it, but i called the drs office today to ask them about it the nurse said that since only 1 unit will be needed that she should do it. She said it is much better for them if they have their own blood.
    just wondering if anyone had their blood donated for them?
    thanks
    jennifer

Hi
    When I had my operation I wasn't asked if I or any of my family wanted to donate blood for me, but it could be different because I live in England. If I had had the choice I would have like either my own blood or my family's blood
    Love Jules xxxxxxxx
    15 with a 50 degree curve
    Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

When Braydon had his fusion surgery, he was only 11 months old. A friend did a direct donation, which Braydon needed to use. He didn't need a full unit, but it was nice to know the blood was there if/when we needed it.

They like to have the patient's own blood because it obviously is a perfect match. However, they will use blood bank blood if she can't donate, and you don't have a family or friend donate on her behalf. Each hosiptal has different rules so check with them about direct donation.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

My blood was reinfused in my body by the filtering method. I wasn;t able to have my own blood b/c of anemia...so my brotherinlaw gave one unit..I do not believe they used it..
        CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
        fused T4 -L3
        Hip graft
        Grown 1 1/2 inches
        25/o upper T 15/o
        53/o T 15/o
        37/o L 6/o
        Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
        New York City

August 6, 2004
        Pulmonary Embolism
        complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
        increasing pain at the T4/5
        point irratation heardwear

Comment

blood donating

hi connie,
          what does that mean your blood was reinfused and then filtered because when i spoke to the nurse about me donating instead she said something about that also. I really didn't understand what she was talking about and she also said that it's about $300 to donate blood. I couldn't believe that, i didn't know it costs that much money to donate blood. Anyway, i haven't told my daughter that she has to do it she is not going to be happy. She hates needles but they did say it was better for her so she i guess should do it. At least it is only one unit.
          how are you feeling. I haven't heard from you in a while. e-mail me and tell me what is going on with you.
          jennifer

Comment

Just another side-note, Jennifer... The blood may not be immediately required. She may be able to have reinfused blood DURING the surgery, but sometimes patients need a boost of blood transfusion one or two days (or maybe more) post-op. When Braydon was an infant and had his anterior/posterior fusion surgery, the blood loss in the operating room was calculated to be 60 ccs. Very minimal. However, 2 days later in PICU, his blood counts were just not coming back to normal as quickly as they'd like. They transfused the 60 ccs, and within a half a day, he was like a completely different child. I can imagine 60 ccs for an infant would be similar to part of a full-unit for a teenager/adult. I think your daughter will be just fine. Keep us posted.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

jC3,
              While I'm an adult, it is about the same, whether you are an older child or an adult when it comes to giving blood. I gave my own (autologos) and my husband and eldest son also gave for me. Also not only is it better that your daughter give her own you may not be compatible, even though you are her mom. Her father may have to donate instead.

The "machine" the other posts are talking about use your daughters own blood that she loses during surgery. A small suction tube pulls the blood away from the incision site where the surgeon is working, filters it and then returns it via IV back to the body.
              SandyC
              SandyC

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

When I had surgery a couple of years ago, the doctor explained that my own blood would be best because:

1) No chance of a reaction because it's me

2) It only takes a few minutes and doesn't hurt any more than plucking your eyebrows

3) Less stress on my body and no chance of an infection or an introduced virus, such as CMV (when you are weak from surgery already, a viral bug that is harmless to the donor and carried by them might be a challenge for the recipient (me).

It was a no brainer for me. I donated 1 unit, and my mom and sister who are perfect matches and CMV free donated for me as well. I only ended up using my own blood.

Your daughter will be better off if she donates her own. She's going to have so many tests in preparation for surgery. Don't stress yourself out about blood donation. It is not a painful thing (a tiny stick and a sting). Maybe she (and you) will become blood donors for the Red Cross after this experience. My family and I do it every 90 days now that we know how little it hurts, and how much good it can do for sick people.
                Susanna
                ~~~~~~
                Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

blood donating

thanks susannajon
                  thanks so much, your post definitely made me feel better and more and more i am realizing that her donating is for the best, so she will be doing it. I am going to call either today or monday to make the appointment and she will get through it.
                  thanks again
                  jennifer

Comment

blood donating

hi sandy c.
                    for some reason yesterday i didn't see your reply to me, sorry about that. Thank you for writing. I was trying to find out if my husband or myself were compatible with her blood type. I had called the hospital where she was born, but they only had my blood type on record there. I don't know why they didn't have hers for some reason. Anyway, it doesn't matter now because they want her to donate her own. Now i understand what the drs. office was saying about them using her blood during surgery. Thanks for helping it make sense to me. I can't wait until this whole thing is over!
                    thanks
                    jennifer

Comment

Hi,
                      I canb't believe that they charge for donationing your own blood...definitely something is not right there...Linda, do you know the exact name of the proceedure that refilters your own blood during surgery>?
                      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                      fused T4 -L3
                      Hip graft
                      Grown 1 1/2 inches
                      25/o upper T 15/o
                      53/o T 15/o
                      37/o L 6/o
                      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                      New York City

August 6, 2004
                      Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

blood donating

connie
                        didn't you have to donate blood and i know neuwirth doesn't take insurance either if i'm correct, did you have to pay?? Because boachie doesn't take any insurance, which means since he doesn't take insurance either will hosp. for special surgery accept my insurance, so i assume all the pretests (mri, pulmonologist, etc) i will have to pay.

jennifer

Comment

Jenn,
                          I answer your question through the private messages...make a deal before surgery ,,that includes anathesaologist,dr.hospital.and others U expect to charge you.
                          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                          fused T4 -L3
                          Hip graft
                          Grown 1 1/2 inches
                          25/o upper T 15/o
                          53/o T 15/o
                          37/o L 6/o
                          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                          New York City

August 6, 2004
                          Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

question

connie
                            sorry, one other question, what do i do call the anesteologist and say what to them and what about mri, etc...

thanks
                            jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

MRI, xrays and all testings are done in the hospital and are charge accordingly through the hospital.I called the hospital I was having surgery in and asked if I had a choice of anesthesolgist..They said No, we only have one group that does all the surgeries in the hospital..after explaining that they are not in my insurence plan, I spoke to the main person in charge and they honored whatever my insurence payed out...if I did not make that call ahead of time, I would have to had pay out a very large sum of money. Do everything in advance, do not assume anything..write down who you spoke to and when..get names..for everything you do...b/c after surgery you just want to help your daughter through the emotional struggle with the surgery, and you won't have time to remember who said what...
                              CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                              fused T4 -L3
                              Hip graft
                              Grown 1 1/2 inches
                              25/o upper T 15/o
                              53/o T 15/o
                              37/o L 6/o
                              Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                              New York City

August 6, 2004
                              Pulmonary Embolism