Is there any help for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any help for me?

Hello! My name is Angela and I am thirty years old. I have scoliosis and kyphosis and have had both since I was a child. I have two children and was advised not to have any more due to the problems that pregnancy posed upon my back.
    As I am getting older my back is getting worse;pain wise and curve wise. I went to an orthopedic surgeon when I was twenty three and he told me I was too old for any kind of treatment.
    I constantly pull muscles and have pain as well.
    I don't remember what my degrees of curvature are........
    I contacted a doctor a few months ago about non-surgical treatment but he is in New York and said I would have to come to NY for an appointment.....I live in SC.
    Does anyone know what kind of treatments there are available now for adults?

Thanks,

Angela

Hi Angela,

I'm sure you'll find some help from scrolling through this forum... there's a lot of information here!

It would certainly be helpful to you as you proceed to know the degrees of your curvatures. Perhaps you can obtain this information from your health care provider so that you can have it ready for anybody who might treat you in the future. Also, in my case I have been advised to get X-rays each year to monitor the progression of the curve. You might look on the Scoliosis Research Society website to see what surgeons are available in your area to do this monitoring.

I know you said you are more interested in non-surgical approaches. I think there are a lot of scams out there, but I have heard good things about Pneumex treatment. For pain, there are many ways to go. I have personally been helped by acupuncture and rolfing. Some people say that yoga also helps manage this.

Good luck!
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I just didn't know if I was still "too old" for treatment. I do yoga at least three times a week and that helps me a lot.........I'm just concerned about what will happen as I get older. I probably need to have new x-rays done.....so I appreciate that advice as well.
      I'm not opposed to surgical treatments, I am just kind of unsure as to what is available.

Thanks again for your help!!

Angela

Comment

Hi Angela...

The only treatments that have been proved to reduce scoliosis curves are bracing (for kids only) and surgery. Scoliosis surgery is now routinely done on people in their 60's, 70's and even 80's.

There are alternative treatments that have been reported to reduce pain and regain function in some people.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Perhaps what has worked for many of us may help you. Weight or rather, the loss of it. I'm pushing 70 and have struggled with this for most of my life, but fortunately I am inclined to be thin. As I've gotten older the weight has piled on, mostly around the waist. That has been my worst problem. When I keep it down the pain becomes reasonably tolerable. You may be thin as a rail, in which case I sure don't have any suggestions other than to exercise as you can, when you can. But if you're like most of us, you could stand to lose a few pounds around the middle. Pain has motivated me to drop many pounds and I still need to drop another 30. If weight loss is an option for you, give it a go. Can't hurt and might help.
          Best to you.

Comment

Working...
          X