View Full Version : Willow update - Day 3

10-09-2009, 02:56 PM
She was up and sitting in a chair once and walking the ward once yesterday (Day 2). She is doing that again today.

Catheter out.

Gut awakening - Eating and drinking allowed. Switch to oral pain meds in addition to some intermittent IV pain meds.

Had a rough night last night when her pain spike from the PT did not come down afterward. We finally got a handle on that today and she is comfortable. The nurse said they aim to keep the pain below 4 but she was above 8 all last night. They had removed the basal morphine yesterday and she was only on the button so when she slept, the pain got away from her. I didn't realize in time what was happening but I got it resolved this morning. Slow learning curve for me I guess. :confused:

She is far more mobile than the other kid and moves around A LOT. She has been doing the turning on her own from the first day. This may be contributing to her pain last night that didn't resolve after the PT but I think it's mostly the removal of the basal morphine dose.

Today she log-rolled herself up from a laying position and stood up completely by herself. The nurse and I went slack-jawed. She did it perfectly, keeping her shoulders and hips in line. You won't know she just had back surgery 3 days ago. She can't get back in bed so well, though. She wants to do it herself and ends up hurting herself. She needs help with this but doesn't want it. I think part of the reason is me helping with log-rolling is on the "RUN AWAY!" list in the briefings from her sister. But she won't let my husband or the nurse help either.

Changing of the wound dressing went far better than expected. Although on the "RUN AWAY!" list, it didn't hurt Willow.

So the lesson is, while it's good to be debriefed, every one is different, as Ti Ed so wisely pointed out earlier.

concerned dad
10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
WOw, walking the ward one day after surgery, that sounds pretty good. Glad to hear things are going well and they got a handle on her pain.

You got me laughing with the "Run Away" list thing. :D

10-09-2009, 04:26 PM
No actually she walked on Thursday and the surgery was Tuesday. So she walked on Day 2, two days after surgery.

And I have my own "RUN AWAY!" list after going through this once. It's like "déjà vu all over again" in some respects. I will never share it will my two young associates, of course. ;)

10-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the update, Sharon. All sounds good, and I'm so glad to hear Willow is continuing to do well. What an excellent reminder that everyone reacts differently.

Mary Ellen

10-09-2009, 06:51 PM

Things will get easier for Willow every day. It took me a few days to finally have them pull all the damn hoses out of me, and of course that first shower was absolute heaven!

I was the same way with being able to do things on my own. I didn't want to have the help as I wanted to re-establish my own independence. Some of us need that feeling of knowing exactly what it is that we can do. Its our own desire for a return to normalcy as quick as possible.

My pain was intense. The drugs mask the pain, but believe me, even if she says she's ok, the pain is still there. It will see-saw up and down, regardless of what happens. It just seems that it is something that needs to run its own course especially right after surgery. Part of the healing process.

Its a good thing that they are tapering down to the oral meds. I basically ran out of the hospital after they pulled the IV , and my first night at home on the oral meds was very VERY painful.

I still think its time to party, even if there is no cake and ice cream, its a celebration in the works. Soon this will be a thing of the past and you will remember that mountain climb. We never forget the tough climbs of life, and afterwards, when we are off the mountain, we reminisce and think.

We are lucky and blessed to have what we have.


10-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Congratulations to you both! Keep up the good work!

Our kids are amazing!

10-10-2009, 10:15 AM
That's wonderful news Sharon! I'm glad it is all going so well. When will Willow be discharged?

And how are you holding up?

Take care, thinking of Willow, you and your family,

10-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Mary Ellen - It's amazing just how different folks can be. In this case, most of the difference I think Willow reacted to the drugs better than Savannah.

pmsmom - Thanks for the good wishes!

Gayle - Thanks for the good wishes. She is out today (see new thread). I held up much better than last time for several reasons. I feel pretty good though a little tired. Thanks for asking. :)

Ti Ed - I am coming to see you are right about wanting to be independent. And we did buy some ice cream for the homecoming... hope that qualifies as a party. :D

I hope this is the worst thing she will ever have to go through. I am glad she handled it well. Preparation always. Step one... get a sister to go through the operation FIRST... :D

10-13-2009, 06:18 AM
WOw, walking the ward one day after surgery, that sounds pretty good. Glad to hear things are going well and they got a handle on her pain.

You got me laughing with the "Run Away" list thing. :D

Forgot to thank you for the well wishes, CD. I appreciate them. :)