Anyone ever heard of casting for a Boston brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever heard of casting for a Boston brace

Our local orthotist wants us to cast my 4 yr old as the best way to measure her for her Boston brace, instead of mere measurements. Anyone ever heard of this? Is it necessary?

Hi...

It's very common, and I think many professionals feel a brace from a cast is a much better treatment than one made from measurements (which is essentially off the shelf). I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's not at all painful. You might want to try to make a game of it with your daughter.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Whenever my son had a new TLSO brace made, they always created a type of cast with strips of material in some kind of paper mache-like solution. They'd briefly let it dry and then cut it off. He would wear a little tank top they gave us. It was pretty stressful for me but he felt sort of ticklish during the process so he laughed a lot. It didn't take too long and was over within a few minutes because at least two orthotists were usually involved in applying the strips and making sure he had the right posture during the application.

Good luck with all of it.
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

I have heard of this

Yes, this is not uncommon, although I personally think it is seen less and less these days. My niece's was cast about 10 years ago but my daughter's was not. They used an "off the shelf" outer casing and trimmed as necessary. The inside was padded as necessary also. It kind of annoyed me at the outset but seems fine I guess now.

Comment

casting...

I was not casted for my boston brace, but was for my 3 cheneau braces and i really feel that the casting process makes a better brace. I actually really enjoyed getting casted, I don't know if that is odd or not, but I did. It felt like getting a massage! and the plaster heats up as it finishes, so it felt soo good! I might be weird, but there you go. So i wouldn't stress it too much.
          Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
          -Virgel

Comment

casting

Thanks, as you all suggested, it went relaly well. She gigled through the whole thing and I feel that we will have a better fitting product than an off the shelf model. Thanks for the advice.

To Bracegirl...tell me a little bit about what you liked about the Rigo vs. Boston brace.

Comment

Rigo VS Boston

Oh dear, where to begin!
              well first off, I would definintely have had surgery with the Boston brace, now keep in mind that this is specific to my curves and may not always be the case. I was inreasing to the point where surgery was discussed in the Boston. then I switched to the Rigo Cheneau and now my curves are back down to where they were when I was braced. this is unheard of and very rare. the thing about the Rigo is that it treats the curve in 3 dimensions, whereas the boston only treats two. the boston looks less obtrusive cosmetically, but i think that the cosmetic ramifications of a brace should be the last thing on anyone's priority list. if you have more questions, feel free to PM me. I really feel that the rigo cheneau saved my back from surgery. so its definitely something to consider
              Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
              -Virgel

Comment

Working...
              X