Non-Surgical Treatments for adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Surgical Treatments for adults

I'm looking for any feedback non-surgical treatments for scoliosis -particularly the Pneumex system - which does not involve bracing; the STRS (Copes) bracing system; and the SpineCor bracing system. From what I've gathered, they are very expensive (for example, the SpineCor chiropractor went over the costs: $350 consult, $500 x-rays, $500 for a neurological test; $3500-$4000 for the brace, depending on which one). Lots of money to spend without knowing if I'm going to get any results. I went to a chiropractor for 6 months when I was in my 20's with absolutely no benefit, I'm leery of any claims I hear today. So, any input at all would be greatly appreciated - positive or negative.

I am 48 years old with a double major curve (top being ~90 degrees, lower ~70-80 degrees) - never had surgery, just the Milwaukee brace as a teenager. No pain, but notice the curve more lately, especially when I see myself in photographs (I always lean).

Any information at all would be so much appreciated.

Hi Susan...

You may want to do a search within the forums for information. Many alternative therapies have been discussed in the past. To do a search, click on the SEARCH icon in the upper right-hand corner of this page.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

spinecore

hi susan i am now using spinecore for 3 months so i cant really say but i was 54 degrees before the brace was put on when they put on the brace they xrayed me and i was 49 degrees i dont know what i am now but about in anthor month i will get x rays i do feel a little better about myself my posture seems a little better im hoping for the best karen

Comment

spinecore

Can you tell me more about the spinecore brace?

You can either email me at danellebuttel@hotmail.com or just post it here.

Thanks
        Danelle

Comment

Hi Danelle...

Here is the Spinecor website:

http://www.nonsurgicalscoliosistreat...om/_SpineCorp/

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

hi danelle the clinic i went to is in new york 88th and park ave the dr is dr deuchman spinecore also has a website spinecore.com the brace is very easy to wear i wear it 23/7 it was developed for teens or younger im a adult 61 years old and im trying it it has not been tested on adults but im very satisfied with it at my age it would be very difficult for me to try surgery try the web site it has all the trial info and all the places it can be obtained with lots of other info best of luck karen

Comment

Hi all, this is the first time I've been on this site and after years of discomfort with my scoliosis it's so nice to find answers and support. I've also been researching the adult non-surgical treatments. I've looked at the STRS and the Spine Core. I'm glad to hear of others that have had experience with this. From talking to both sides the Spine Core makes so much more sense to me. I am currently thinking of seeing this Dr. in New York after the 1st of the year. I would appreciate anyone's input as well either via a post here or email at aeroktty@aol.com. I am 35 years old and have a 56 degree curve. Over the last couple of years I can feel things getting worse. I don't really have pain, but a lot of discomfort, no sleep, always tired, etc. I never knew some of the problems I'm experiencing have to do with having scoliosis. I've always been told it's no big deal. I'm so grateful for all the information out there now. I look forward to hearing from others!
              Jodi J.

Comment

Pneumex

Hi there,

I was hoping to try the Pneumex program, but the closest place to where I live was three hours away, so it wasn't possible in the end.

I did however do about five sessions of the initial "treatment" which involved walking on a treadmill while being pulled up taller by a kind of traction device. The PT also had me do stretching exercises.

After the treatment I always felt really great, particularly my upper , which felt stronger - and I'm sure I was standing straighter. It wasn't clear to me, though, how much of this "gain" was retained over time. I was personally sorry I could not try out the treatment for a longer period.

I had contacted four PTs who offer Pneumex in different parts of the country and all of them said they had had success in preventing progression of curves, slightly improving some curves, and decreasing rotation. In my case, the PT I saw said he would not estimate much improvement in the upper curve (he estimated going from about 46 to 40 degrees) but he said that lower - compensatory - curves in his experience often showed better improvement and he would estimate that it would go from 30 to 20 degrees. He also told me that in his experience (he had been offering Pneumex about 3 years, I think, and I saw many teens there doing the treatment), the greatest improvements were in the degree of rotation, where he said he had seen substantial differences.

One PT I contacted in LA said that the system was currently in government trials, and you could probably get more info from the Pneumex company itself if you called them up. I would like to find out whether what Pneumex does is improve the "functional" aspects of scoliosis, as opposed to the "structual" aspects, which all the research I have read says cannot be manipulated by exercise.

Most PTs offering Pneumex can claim for it - as a kind of physical therapy treatment - through most insurances.

Hope this is of some help.
                Laura
                30y/o
                Upper curve around 55
                Lower curve around 35

Comment

It's November 21, 2004. Hi. My name is Kurt. I'm 43 and have a left lumbar/right thoracic curve (I hope that is correct. Looking at me face to face my curve is an "S" shape). I saw a doctor in August this year and learned it's 80 degrees (I was diagnosed with about 30 degrees at about age 18). I've been having numbness in my left leg and foot...though it's been chronic (the past month or two not real numb).

I did some searching in this forum for 60-80 degrees and only saw under age 18 (June 2, 2004 from dapsbounce8).

From recent forum emails I saw mention of various treatments (Pneumex, Spinecor, etc). I did an internet search and found Elise Miller's Yoga for Scoliosis. I'm trying to get consistent with practicing this. It would be helpful to find others locally who are doing the same.

The doctor said to expect a 1 degree increase per year and that I have a couple years before I need to decide whether to have surgery. I can't see a functional life with a fused spine, not to mention the 20% chance of needing at least a second surgery.

I look forward to communicating with those of you in this forum.

Bye for now,

Kurt
                  as of 9/04:
                  upper thoracic 23
                  lower thoracic 57
                  lower lumbar 80
                  pelvic tilt of L3 38

Comment

Hi Kurt...

You don't say whether it's your thoracic or lumbar curve that's 80 degrees. If it's your thoracic curve, I personally wouldn't recommend that you fool around trying to find an alternative treatment that will work for you. Again, if it's your thoracic curve, you probably already have some loss of pulmonary function, and you could reasonably expect significant pulmonary function deficit sometime in the next 15-20 years.

If your lumbar curve is 80 degrees, you probably won't have any significant problem with your pulmonary function, but you might find that you have leg and back pain, at least on or off, for the rest of your life.

Regards,
                    Linda

Comment

Hi all, after reading some of the posts it has me curious. I have been experiencing back of the knee discomfort, sometimes a cold senstation or wet feeling when it isn't, sometimes numbish, kinda of hard to explain. Is this part of the scoliosis? Is it normal? Does anyone else have this? As I mentions in an earlier post I have a 56 degree curve in my lower back. Apparently it's odd since the curve is to the left side of my body and I hear the right is most common. Thanks for your input.
                      Jodi J.

Comment

Linda,

I checked with my doctor and the degrees are:

upper thoracic-23
                        lower thoracic-57
                        lower lumbar-80
                        tilt of L3 (pelvis)-38

I've had infrequent, chronic pain in my right hip area in the past but recently it seems to be acting up. The left hip has hurt chronically, also, but not recently.

Kurt
                        as of 9/04:
                        upper thoracic 23
                        lower thoracic 57
                        lower lumbar 80
                        pelvic tilt of L3 38

Comment

my history

I did the copes program and wouldn't recommend it. I am looking into the SpineCor brace and considering it in the future if I have problems.

If you have any questions about the copes program, I can help. I did it for almost 2 years.

alazar50@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X