getting fixed...planes, trains & automobiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting fixed...planes, trains & automobiles

question..now that i am seriously considering april 2010 for surgery (lumbar A/P to sacrum, w/pelvic fixation ,) i am asking the "sitting in salon chair" question & expanding on it...if it is hard/impossible to get your hair colored or shampooed even, what about dental chairs that slide down & practically make you lay flat now? i am having some dental implants done, & even if i can finish them by spring 2010, i will still need more work at the dentist...

and what about the car...with pelvic fixation how does one get into & out of the car...

and do you have to log roll in/out of bed FOREVER??

what about airplanes with less seat room (does one now need first class seats)?

i would be most grateful for any/all replies..i am trying to think logistically & understand just how difficult life becomes with pelvic fixation....not to knock upper fusions, & with a 40 degree upper curve, i fear i might go there eventually, but for now, doctors will ignore that (treated w/botox shots) & go L4-S1 & T11-sacrum, something like that....

i am so beholding to all post op-ers who kindly share their experience & knowledge..bless you all....healing prayers for relief go out to all..pre & post alike!

jess

Jess,

I have regular checkups with my dentist and periodontist and have no problem getting in and out of a dental chair and lying in one even with my long fusion to the pelvis. I drive a Honda Accord and can get in and out with no problem. I first seat myself sideways and then swing my legs over. I still logroll in and out of bed, but it’s become so routine and mechanical, I don’t even give it a second thought anymore. I do not require a first class seat when flying.

BTW, just yesterday a woman here at work who’s a consultant asked if she could have a chat with me. She came here while I was on medical leave recovering from my surgery. She heard I had scoliosis surgery and was interested in hearing about my experience as her father suffers from untreated scoliosis to the point of being breathing impaired. She asked who my surgeon was and said she can’t believe I had such a major spine surgery as I appear to be doing so well and commented on what great posture I have.

Chris

Comment

thanks, chris...i think my bedroom will need to be changed if log rolling becomes required! it's a little tight on space!

so glad you have recovered so well!
      jess

Comment

Hi Jess,

Pelvic fixation is not as bad as you might think. You will still be able to do everything you are doing now. You just might not be able to do it quite so fast or exactly the same way. Can I touch my toes? Yes, but I have to bend my knees. Dental chairs, just ask them to lean you back slowly, and if you are uncomfortable, use a pillow. I keep small pillows in my car for just such a purpose. I drive a Toyota Corolla and have no trouble getting in or out and I am fairly tall. I just slowly slide in using the back of the seat and the steering wheel to guide me. Getting out, I bring my legs out first and move close to the edge of the seat and I can get up from there. Log rolling doesn't take up any more space than getting in or out of bed any other way, and once your abdominal muscles are strong enough, I can actually sit up in bed from a lying down position without any push off or log rolling. However, log rolling is really the safest way for anyone to get out of bed, because it doesn't stress the spine. At eight months post-op, we flew to Seattle from Providence,RI and I had no problems at all in tourist class. Yes, wouldn't it be nice to have an excuse to go first class. Just remember to get up and walk the aisles or stand by you seat and exercise your legs often. BTW, be sure to take an aspirin before you get on the plane to prevent blood clots in you legs. Advice everyone should take, but clear it with you Doctor first.

In many ways, those of us with lumbar fusions only are fortunate, because we are not as inflexible as those with fusions from the upper thoracic all the way down. I can still do my toenails, I can pick things up off the floor, and I can put on pantyhose. I can't think of any things I can't still do, I just have to do them a little differently. A small price to pay to get my life back.

Think positive thoughts and don't worry yourself sick over these everyday things. You will learn very quickly new ways to do what you want to do. Oh, and yes, you will eventually be able to pick up your precious little dog.

Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I am fused T3 to L3.

I had a dental appointment 3 months post op and had no problem. I did bring a pillow just in case, but I was fine and didn't need it.

For the car, for the first few weeks or month, someone would help me in and out. I'd do it very slowly and carefully. I'd first put my butt in, and then pivot myself into position. Now, I get in and out of the car just like everyone else.

I log rolled for about 3 months. I get up just like I used to now. Not a problem at all. Maybe I do a very 'modified' log roll--not really sure.

I haven't done an airplane yet so can't help there.

I was very nervous about my first post-op mamogram, but it wasn't a problem either. I had to tell the poor girl more than once--I can't bend like that, but we did just fine.

My point to all of this is that you will be able to do things you do now, but maybe just a little differently. And, the differences become second nature after a while and you don't have to deliberately think about how you do something.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi sally...hi deb.....thank you so much...i know, many say the same thing you did...i guess the word "fixation" is really spooking me! it sounds so scary to be fused to sacrum...

and...how does one log roll & not fall flat on your face on the floor?

i truly appreciate the words of experience & encouragement..even with the sacroiliac injections i got this week, there is still so much i can no longer do that i used to take for granted! my poor little dog gets maybe a 2 block walk once or twice a week...& that is with huge effort, & him pulling me up the hilly streets!

i am so happy for you that you have good results & can enjoy life again..

best regards
            jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

and...how does one log roll & not fall flat on your face on the floor?

jess
              Jess, you just roll to the edge of your bed, bend your knees up and as you let your legs move to the floor, push up with your arms. It's really easy. You will be taught how to do this properly in the hospital after surgery, if not before.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Dentist not a problem

I had a regular dental appointment to get my teeth cleaned 5 weeks post-op. I was a bit apprehensive, but the dental chair was quite comfortable. I asked for a little extra pillow under my knees and that was all I needed.

That was a good thing, too, because I had a broken old filling that needed to be replaced with a crown and another old filling in that same "quadrant" that might as well get replaced while I was numb. A couple days later I had to spend a couple hours in the dental chair for the repairs. It really wasn't a problem, although I did get up and move around after about 45 minutes.

Sheri
                At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                Excellent correction

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                  Jess, you just roll to the edge of your bed, bend your knees up and as you let your legs move to the floor, push up with your arms. It's really easy. You will be taught how to do this properly in the hospital after surgery, if not before.
                  Sally
                  Jess,

In the hospital they said it was so easy and this is what you do....I looked at them like they had three heads. LOL Within a week or two I had it perfectly mastered.

It's more like, roll on your side and then use the opposite arm to push yourself up as your knees bend and you get vertical. Don't worry you'll get it just fine.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

thanks guys...so much to think about....i was worried i wouldnt be able to sit in a dental chair & then have them tilt the top of the chair downward, as i wouldnt bend....the whole time at the dentist today, hour & a half, i kept imagining going backward in the chair with 2 rods & 16 screws in me (per surgeon)...all i could think was..."no way..."...but i trust you guys, especially you "fixated" guys, know what it is like having done it POST surgery! i guess the "hair salon" problems started me thinking...if they cant shampoo you, what else cant you get done...glad to hear these things would still be possible....
                    now i am going to try to go to bed tonite without getting up & down "log roll style" just to experiment!

thanks to all..
                    jess

Comment

thanks too

Thanks to you Jess and all those who answered your questions as I am having surgery in December and all those questions and answers helped me too! After I had my mastectomy and reconstruction I had to walk stooped over , sleep sitting up and no driving, all for a month! When I was able to sleep in my own bed, I had to learn how to get myself in and out my bed and it took a wee while but I got used to it and did it for a long time. Now no need to do that, but here I am doing surgery that will make me go back to the rolling in and out of bed! However I consider all of it a means to an end and you deal with it because you have to. Thank you also Denise who gave me a lot of good advice on preparing myself for surgery and trying to be in the best shape, help me to build up my resistance and stamina too. I know one of the most frustrating things for a lot of people is the fatigue following major surgery, and in fact that can actually be a bit depressing. I work in a cancer center now, and many of my patients get quite emotional after their treatment is over and they are still zonked!! They want their 'normal life' back so much and sometimes it's a new normal! Thanks to whomever said that you had few problems with your mammogram I would never have even thought about that!

Comment

Hi Dot
                        thanks for the reply...you are so kind...
                        i feel less guilty asking so very many questions when i realize the answers may help many patients other than just me...
                        i sent you a P.M.

take good care of yourself....!!
                        jess

Comment

Working...
                        X