Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lumbar surgery in DC

Hi,
    Here's an update on Karen's surgeries at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Washington, DC. She had the first on 8/24 and the second on 8/28. Both went fine. Now, however, she has to have an additional surgery today because one of the screws was found to be bent upon reviewing the x-ray. The doctors were concerned that her aorta could be at risk. I think her Forum name is Lumbar 3951 ( not sure about the numbers). I misplaced the name temporarily. I will visit her this afternoon, after her surgery and try to get back to you all. Sorry for the late update. I had this same surgery in Oct. 08 and am doing well. Best to all. Stephanie (sunnyday)

Karen is lumbar3491. Tell her I am sorry to hear about the additional surgery and hope she has no further complications. I wish her the best and will keep her in my prayers. Please keep us informed of her progress.
    Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
    Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
    Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
    Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
    Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

So sorry to hear about the added stress of more surgery.

Wishing Karen all the best.

Thank you for the update!
      ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
      Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
      Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
      Now curve is T38*, L53*
      Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Any news on Karen?

Comment

Hello Sunnyday. I remember you from last year when I was going through the horrors of facing surgery and I remember yours and have often wondered how you're going. I would love an update!

Poor Karen. How is she coping with this complication? I hope everything goes smoothly for her from here on in.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you, Stephanie, for posting my updates. Words cannot describe the gratitude I feel for all the support you have given me. To all of you on this site, your support means the world to me. I only hope I can give you a fraction of the support you have shown me.

This is my first visit back to the forums since my surgery, which was more complex than expected (three surgeries instead of two). The 3rd surgery landed me in ICU because I had some fluid in my lungs so they wanted to be cautious. In retrospect, they did the right thing; at that time I was terrified.

After being at Georgetown Univ. Hospital for several weeks, I went to the Hebrew Home of Greater DC for rehab. The PT and OT were excellent; the nursing care (particularly at night) left much to be desired.

On 9/17 I had my first post-op visit with my surgeon (actually his nurse-practitioner). She removed the staples and sutures from my spine. Much to my surprise, it didn't hurt. This may sound weird, but it actually felt like she was scratching a deep itch.

I came home on Saturday (8/19) and there is nothing like "home sweet home!" It feels great to be on the "other side" of the surgeries.

Tomorrow I have my first home-based PT. I'll let you know how that goes.

Mary Ann, Kathy, Sandy, and Valley Girl, you have all been in my thoughts and prayers. Did I forget anyone? Hopefully, your surgeries went smoothly.

Cheers!

Karen
            Karen, 66 years "young"
            Polio at 6
            Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
            Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
            Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
            Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
            Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Three surgeries in one week:
            8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
            8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
            9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Karen,

I'm go glad to hear you're finally doing much better. My goodness, no wonder you were scared. It's all behind you now; all you have to do is get better.

Keep us posted on your progress, and feel better.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

So glad to finally hear from you. Sounds like you're on yur way. I get a little frustrated that my comfort level is not getting better faster...but i;ve learned that you have to be patient. keep in touch.
                Kathy, 43
                Diagnosed as a teen
                Boston brace 2 years
                63 degree lumbar curve
                Surgery August 26, 2009
                Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                now 28 degrees

Comment

Karen, I am so glad that you're feeling better, and can be HOME!! I am sorry that you had this complication.

I have followed this thread since it started, but I've been in too much pain to type until today (the thread I started this morning tells what I've been up to since surgery.) Even though it wasn't the happiest of news, I was relieved when I first read it. I had been wondering how you were - I had been watching for a post from you.

The quality and the kindness of the nursing staff is a HUGE factor in our in-patient experience, isn't it? With each of my 3 admissions in this one month, I have been on a different floor each time. I could see the diference in nursing care from nurse to nurse on the ortho floor, but I also got to observe the difference in "attitude" toward patient care between floors. (It has made me think that I'd like to work someday as an RN - I have kept my license active, just never worked - though time will tell if that, physically, is an option for me.)

Here's to smoothe days ahead!!
                  Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                  Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                  Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Here we all are on the same thread! It seems you all had it more rough than I. I'm so glad, though, that you both continue to recover. I go for my four week post op in about a week (it will be almost 5 weeks at that point). I'm trying hard not to get discouraged. I still walk like an old lady. Most of my discomfort seems to be in my side, I guess b/c that's where my incision was. and now that I've decreased my pain meds, I'm having more painful moments.

I hope you both are getting the help you need. I have friends bringing meals three times a week and I order groceries on line. Take care and keep posting!
                    Kathy, 43
                    Diagnosed as a teen
                    Boston brace 2 years
                    63 degree lumbar curve
                    Surgery August 26, 2009
                    Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                    now 28 degrees

Comment

Yes, indeed, we are all here on the same post and "on the other side!" Some of us had better experiences than others, but we MADE IT!

Now that I am home, I feel that I am making progress daily. On Sunday, I actually took a walk with friends around my whole block. Of course, I used my walker, but I haven't been able to walk that far in several years.

Today, my PT comes to my house for the first time. I'll let you know how that goes. One thing I plan to check out with her is what is the "right amount" of exercise. Was walking around the block too much exercise at this time?

Have a great day!

Karen
                      Karen, 66 years "young"
                      Polio at 6
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
                      Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
                      Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
                      Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
                      Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                      Three surgeries in one week:
                      8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
                      8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
                      9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Working...
                      X