Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check up

Hello All!!

I went for a check up on the 25th. It's been 7 weeks since my surgery. Doc says I'm doing great! Still have my 5 lbs weight restriction, but he said I could try a LITTLE bit of bending and very slight twisting action. I'm doing pretty good with the pain levels. Only taking my friend Vicoding every 6 hrs or so now. Sometimes I can go 7 or 8 hours. I've actually gone all night sleeping without having to get up and get a pill. I wake up sore, but not enough to get up for a pill!!

Does anyone else still have significant pain in the rib area on the back? I still feel like I have wedges jammed between my ribs. Kinda annoying to say the least!! Thanks,
    Debbie

Debbie,

I envy your lack of needing to many pain meds. I am still using the same amount, minus the break through meds, that I was right after surgery. I don't think I would do so well without them. I know everyone is different but I am starting to feel a little frustrated. I have tried skipping doses and that doesn't go so well at all. I am going to try and start slowly stretching the amount of time inbetween and see if I can stretch it out some. Hope that works. Sounds like your doing great. Keep up the good work!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Debbie,

congratulations on your good checkup. I think when I finally finished with my pain meds just short of 3 months post-op, the only pain I had was around the ribs on my left side of my back...which turned out to be muscle spasms. It does get better with time, although sometimes I still struggle with it when I've done too much.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
        Debbie,

I envy your lack of needing to many pain meds. I am still using the same amount, minus the break through meds, that I was right after surgery. I don't think I would do so well without them. I know everyone is different but I am starting to feel a little frustrated. I have tried skipping doses and that doesn't go so well at all. I am going to try and start slowly stretching the amount of time inbetween and see if I can stretch it out some. Hope that works. Sounds like your doing great. Keep up the good work!
        Hi Susan...

I wish I knew why some people get off pain meds very quickly, while the next person requires them for months or even years. Don't beat yourself up. We're all different. The important thing is that you will hopefully eventually be off pain medication permanently.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
          Debbie,

I agree with Linda for sure!! Also, my surgery wasn't quite as large as most of the other forum members either. I was T11-L5, so I think that has a lot to do with it as well as I only had a posterior incision. I've learned that I have to have patience being a patient It will get better. My surgeon keeps reminding me that this was a very serious operation and that I won't get better just overnight. I takes time. Best wishes for you as well

Debbie

Comment

Working...
          X