wisdom teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wisdom teeth

Hi, My daughter is due to have surgery at the end of the year.
    She needs her wisdom teeth out before that.
    I was thinking of starting with two but should i just get all four of them out?
    Is there anything i should be worried about in regards to this and her operation?
    And what about after the operation....that is, having teeth out after her surgery?
    My main concern is infection and how well they would treat her back on the operating table (apparently it is an in hospital procedure if we have all four out at once).
    Hope this makes sense.
    Regards
    Donna....Gabs Mum.
    Mother to 14 year old daughter, Gabrielle (Gabby).
    Discovered her scoliosis on her 14th Birthday in February 2009. Due to be operated on for curves of 57 and 54 degrees (S Curve) in December 2009 with Dr. Askin in Brisbane.

Hi Donna,

I'd discuss your concerns with the oral surgeon.

Your daughter's experience might be different than both of my daughters', but my girls each had EIGHT (8) teeth removed at the same time and their surgeries were not done at a hospital and neither was mine (many years ago). Our oral surgeries were done in an oral surgeon's office. They were put under light sedation and I took them home within shortly after they woke up and they did fine. I find it amazing how differently things are done medically in different countries. In the US, a lot of our orthopedic surgeries aren't even done in a hospital--they are done at an out-patient surgical center.

If I were you, if all four wisdom teeth need to come out, take them all at once! One appointment, one recovery, etc. My girls both needed their wisdom teeth out and they each needed four additional teeth removed in order to put their braces on their teeth. They had them all out at once and did just fine. Oh, my oldest daughter had her teeth removed a few years after her spinal fusion.

Hope this helps a little.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

As the mother of two, I can tell you that my kids would not have gone back for the second time to have wisdom teeth out. They both had all four at once. My daughter had hers out 4 months after her scoliosis surgery.
      I had problems with my wisdom teeth after my scoliosis surgery. Back then you wore a plaster cast for 9 - 12 months post-op. Mine went from my chin to were my legs joined my torso. I could not open my mouth far enough for them to get to my wisdom tooth that was hitting the roots of my 12 year molar. They ended up having to pull the 12 year molar and let the wisdom tooth come in in its place. Whenever I go to a new dentist they always ask why I have a wisdom tooth and not the molar!
      Last edited by rainbow2010; 08-31-2009, 05:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
      X