Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do when she has the flu?

Hello Anyone,
    My daughter's only been using the brace since early August, so I'm still learning stuff. She's up to about 20 hrs/wk tho and doing quite well.
    Night before last she woke very hot and saying her stomach hurt. I got her up and helped her off w/the brace just in time for her to (almost) make it to the bathroom. She continued on through the night and into the next day, barfing about every half hour! There was no way I was going to expect her to wear her brace during all that! She was running a fever too, and she's already usually hot in the brace.
    Now this morning I feel like we're going to have to start all over, working up the hours etc., and I'm wondering how bad was it to let her keep it off that long? What do other people do at such times?
    Donna
    Donna
    Mom to 2 biological kids, grown & Married and 2 adopted kids, 6 & 11

Hi there,
    I really don't think you should fret about having taken the brace off while your daughter was so poorly - I'm sure most people would have done the same (I certainly would) and I really don't think you've done any harm.
    All you need to do is get her back into it as soon as her temp comes down enough to tolerate it - you may have gone a couple of steps back with building up the hours but I don't think you're right back to the beginning. It's not all new this time so your daughter will probably get back into the swing of wearing it quite quickly.
    Good luck,
    Lorrie

Comment

Hi:

My 13 year old has progressing curves of 42 and 36 degrees, and is in a brace 23/7. However, under special circumstances she is permitted to remove it. For example, when she went to camp last year, her surgeon let her leave the brace at home for the whole week. When she has a long orchestra concert (she plays flute and it interferes a little with all that breathing) she can take it off, including the bus travel, if any. We went to Raratonga for holiday last July (our winter here) and she was allowed to remove it for the whole time she was snorkeling, even though it was a lot more than 1 hour a day. And so on. If she had stomach flu and it was really bothering her, I would have no qualms about letting her out of the brace even for a day or two.

Of course, all the rest of the time she wears her brace very conscientiously, never skiving off for extra time out of it, so these "breaks" are still the exception rather than the rule. Her doctor's view is that, if the child is going to be mostly compliant for several years, you have to make some compromises. It's better to let them take it off for camp and wear it the other 51 weeks of the year, than to have them refuse to wear it at all!

Good luck - Patricia
      Patricia
      Scoli Mum from New Zealand
      Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
      Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

Donna,

My daughter is now 6 and has been wearing a brace for over 5 years. I have always taken it off when she has a fever, then I put it back on her when the fever is down. I've mentioned it to the doctors and they have never told me anything different. Good luck!

Ann
        Mother to 14 year old daughter
        Diagnosed with infantile scoliosis at 6 months (54 degree left thoracic)
        Boston Brace for 5 years.
        Montreal to see Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard 7/04 to 1/08(spinecor brace and 3 casts)
        surgery with Dr. Clements Oct. 2008 (8 staples and a hybrid rod)
        3 lengthenings with Dr. Samdani
        Scheduled for fusion with Dr. Samdani

Comment

Thanks so much, all of you! Your words are enormously encouraging! I never cease being amazed at the variety of experiences of people. Bless you all!
          Donna
          Mom to 2 biological kids, grown & Married and 2 adopted kids, 6 & 11

Comment

Hi Donna! I know how you feel when your daughter is sick and just can't stay in the brace, but you worry about the time out of the brace. I agree with the others' replies...a day or so out is okay, but then just get back on track as soon as possible. Recently my daughter (who has been in her brace for a year now...18 hrs/day) had a wicked virus that lasted for about a week. She did stay in the brace until the 4th night when she had a fever of 103! She was cooking in it so I made her take it off and sleep without it. The next night she was back in it. It happens...but the important thing is to minimize the time out as much as possible.

I know how hard it must be for these young people to deal with all of this (even though my daughter says I don't know since I don't have to wear it but I wish I could instead of her). It's also hard for us as mothers to make sure they deal with it, but it (the brace) can be effective and it's worth the struggle. And, remember you are not alone.

You mentioned that she is always a bit warm in the brace...my daughter is too and so we still have her air conditioner going at night (even though it is now fall and the evening temps are in 50 -60 degree range).

It is alot to adjust to and your daughter will have good and not so good days, but it sounds like you are both on a good track. Just take it one day at a time.

Comment

hey there Donna

It shouldn't be a problem having the brace of while she's sick. just make sure it goes back on as soon as she's better, then follow the normal scedule thereafter

Comment

Hi Donna,

I used to wear a brace. When I was sick my mom always took it off me. Especially when I had a fever because with it on my temperature just kept going up. I would say it should not be a problem as long as she is back in it as soon as she is better. Hope this helped!
                ~*Lauren*~
                Braced for 5 months
                Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
                Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
                Surgery on April 26th 2005
                Fused from T3-L4
                Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Working...
                X