Scard of Pain Meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scard of Pain Meds

I am not scheduled to have my surgery until November, but my doctor just prescribed Norcor for me because my lower back is now hurting so bad I can hardly stand. My fusion was only supposed be for the center curve. He was not going to touch the lower. He feels that it will straighten as he pulls the other. But my concern is that the prescription is for the 325's and it says to take 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. Well they make me too sleepy to take them before going to work so I only take them at night. Last night i was hurting so bad i decided to take two pills. OMG I was so sick to my stomach even with eating dinner with them. I was dizzy and could hardly stand up. I am affraid of what it will be like when I have surgery and have to take even more then what I did last night.
    Diagnosed @ at of 11
    Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
    Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
    (was told would never get worse)
    Surgery November 11, 2009
    Fused T6-T12
    Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
    Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

I was very afraid of them too. And I had quite a bit of pain pre-op but narcotics nauseated me as well. However it has been an entirely different situation post-op. I too take Norco 325s. I am weaning myself off of them but could not have done with out them (and my muscle relaxers - Robaxin) up until now. They said with the pain receptors the nausea is mitigated. I have had no nausea and I can tell I am going to have no trouble phasing out of them as I get stronger. Hope this helps alleviate some of your fears.
    Paula

June 15, 2009 Posterior Fusion T4-L5
    Thorasic: 48° --> 8°
    Lumbar: 65° --> 8°
    Dr. Von Rueden Austin, Texas

Comment

Hi Loris...

Better to know now than after surgery. You should call your doctor's office, and get them to prescribe something else. Hopefully, you can find something that you'll tolerate. It could be hard, however, to find something that is both effective, and which doesn't make you sleepy.

Good luck.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Loris,

maybe you would do better with one pill; it might help with the pain but not make you dizzy.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Loris
          am so sorry you are having this problem, on top of your pain!

i have been on pain meds for so long, tho not had surgery (yet?).... eating first is best...i've found dry foods work best...baked potatoes, plain, no topping or butter, work well..also, plain bread, no butter....you might try a half a pill...the meds you are on were the ones that never made me nauseous, tho i realize everyone reacts differently to medication! maybe your doctor will try you on something else...thing is, some meds that are less strong have no effect on severe pain!!

i am sure your doctor will find a medication you will tolerate...

best of luck
          jess

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
            Loris,

maybe you would do better with one pill; it might help with the pain but not make you dizzy.

Good luck,
            I tried one pill today and it also made me dizzy and sick to my stomach. I can't see my doctor until Friday so I am just going to have to deal with the pain until then.
            Diagnosed @ at of 11
            Fused T6-T12
            Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
            Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

scared of pain meds

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]
              I am sorry you have had this problem with the pain medications. I too have been prescribed what are to me, strong meds,( hydrocodone 7.5/325mgs) to be taken 3 times a day. I take it only at night, but I also take Ultram ES 300 mgs in the mornings and have Ultracet for break through pain. I am also a patient navigator for breast cancer patients and have a nursing background. The thing is with most pain you have to get on top and stay on top of it. You shouldn't take the meds when the pain is so bad and expect it to work the same as if you had taken it at the very beginning of the pain. I agree with the person who said you should stick to one pill at night and maybe eventually you will be able to tolerate two. You might even half the pill during the day till your body gets used to it. I am like you in that medications like that make me really sleepy so I'm afraid to take them during the day. That's why I do it the way I described above, believe me it's not ideal and sometimes even on one hydrocodone at night I have to get up and do some kind of stretches and take one of the ultracet pills when the pain is so severe. Lately there has been more and more of that! Sometimes it's just hard to function like a normal person when the pain is so bad, isn't it? Good luck with your surgery I hope it all goes well for you. I am at the beginning of this journey as far as surgeons etc. I have been dealing with the pain thing for about 4 or 5 years till now and it's at the point where I have to get some relief and it's already changed my lifestyle. I wish you well, and if you keep having trouble with this medication, let your doctor know as you may have a true allergy or reaction to it. God bless and good luck!

Comment

I too sympathesize (sp?) with you all with your pain level. I'm in constant pain most of the time. I take Hydrocodone, sometimes two, whenever the pain is so bad. But, I always take it at night and as needed during the day. Mornings and egvenings are the worst for me. I'm excruciatingly nauseated in the morning and going to stash some muffins in my bedroom and try that for a while My dr called in some other meds for me to see if it works better for me. I sure hope so. I don't like taking meds, but this pain is just too much to bare without it. I do hate the sick feeling too.
                My surgery is Jul 7th, 2010. Give me strength to make it through the wait.
                Rita Thompson
                Age 46
                Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
                  I too sympathesize (sp?) with you all with your pain level. I'm in constant pain most of the time. I take Hydrocodone, sometimes two, whenever the pain is so bad. But, I always take it at night and as needed during the day. Mornings and egvenings are the worst for me. I'm excruciatingly nauseated in the morning and going to stash some muffins in my bedroom and try that for a while My dr called in some other meds for me to see if it works better for me. I sure hope so. I don't like taking meds, but this pain is just too much to bare without it. I do hate the sick feeling too.
                  My surgery is Jul 7th, 2010. Give me strength to make it through the wait.
                  Wow that is a really long time to wait and being in that much pain. Is that the earliest your dr can get you in or are you waiting for other reason? I see my dr on friday so i am hoping i can get a better solution and also find out why now my lower back is in so much pain so i can make it till november. Good luck with yours hopefully you get some resolution too.
                  Diagnosed @ at of 11
                  Fused T6-T12
                  Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
                  Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

Working...
                  X