Still getting dizzy spells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still getting dizzy spells

Hi all, I am about 2 1/2 months post op and still getting those dizzy spells when I lie down to do my log roll into bed or on the couch, they pass very quickly though. When I first came home I starting getting them right away every time I lied down, I did call my surgeon then about the dizziness, he said it was normal, though he did not say why. Anyway, last night after being in bed for about 15 minutes, just lying there all of a sudden I got a very strong one where the room was spinning way more than I experienced before.

I know that someone else experienced this also, can't remember who, while she was standing and fell down from it. Has anyone else gone through this, or any explanations. My third post-op visit isn't until the 27th of this month, I wonder if I should call him or just wait till then?

Thanks!
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Have you talked to your pharmacist. Some pain meds can cause dizziness. After talking with the pharmacist, you may want to call the doctor. There may be other meds the doctor could prescribe for you. I have had vertigo before, but not after my surgery.
    Lesley
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Dolores

Vertigo is horrible. Try to take it easy, and try not to fall down.

I'm the same as Lesley, had the vertigo before, but not after surgery.

There have been discussions about this here in the past, usually its inner ear, infection or viral.

Usually it passes in time.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Dolores, I had dizziness for 7-8 weeks. It started when I began reducing my Oxycontin. I'd gone from 2 x 20 mg per day to 2 x 15mg then 2 x 10 mg and when I hit 5mg, the dizziness began. At first it was horrendous. It didn't seem to improve for weeks until it finally began phasing itself out. My GP did all sorts of ear and eye tests and found nothing wrong. My surgeon said it wasn't anything to do with the Oxycontin, that it was the antibiotics given during surgery. I thought that strange because it didn't start for 6 weeks.

In other words, I'm none the wiser, but I'm glad to say, it finally eased off completely.

I feel for you. I was really scared that something bad had happened during surgery and I began to think it would never go away. But it did!

Good luck!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I did hear something about antibiotics also, hopefully this is all it is. Thank god it only happens when I am lying down! If it keeps up though I will make an appt. with my regular MD.
          Dolores A
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

vertigo

Dolores, I think I may be able to help. I had the spins for more than six weeks beginning six weeks post surgery. I felt the dizziness and spinning every time I changed positions, and especially if i turned to the right. Once it caught me so far off guard and I actually fell to the floor, another time I almost fell. I was too frightened to do my walking unless I was safely on a track and with someone. It was awful.

My primary care sent me to a neurologist who found that I had BPPV. There are small calcium crystals in our inner ears (they belong there). Sometimes the crystals dislodge from their usual position and migrate toward the semicircular canals in our inner ear. This causes abnormal fluid displacement within in the ear which normally help us balance. Usually it's caused by a hard jolt to the head, but there are other causes, one more rare cause being a prolonged surgery in an unnatural position. Sometimes it just happens and they don't know why. In my case doctors do not think it had to do with the surgery because my world began spinning six week after surgery, but for you it seems to be right away.

The treatment for me was physical therapy by someone trained in vestibular therapy, which I had approved by my surgeon. That involved specific head movements while I was laying flat on my back and on my side. I wore my back brace and made sure the therapist was aware of my back surgery and limitations and it did not hurt at all. Her goal was to get the crystals back to where they belong. She said to picture it like a snow globe where it takes time for the snow to settle into place, so the movements were slow and I kept my head in specific positions for short periods of time. I was approved for 8 visits but felt 90% relief after only two. I kept four visits, just to be sure I was all set.

The key is to make sure that's what your issue actually is by seeing your primary care and hopefully seeing a neurologist. Then you need to find a facility with someone trained in vestibular care. The neurologist told me where to go. My therapist said you should never have it done by someone not specifically trained in vestibular care because they watch your eyes and monitor you after treatment knowing what to look for to make sure you are safe. Also, you need to have someone drive you. After the first visit I had an annoying headache all day and felt off balance for the whole day. But after the second visit I felt great an hour after. Best of all the spins were gone!

You can look it up on the internet. It's called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Hopefully this helps. Good Luck. I know how frustrating and scary this can be.
            -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
            Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
            Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
            Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

...One other thing. ...The therapy did not hurt, but my exam to determine that I had BPPV did hurtquite a bit, but it doesn't have to. The neurologist bent me backward quickly hoping to make an episode occur which it did for me. That's how they can tell if it is BPPV.

The problem was that he hyperextended my back over a 3 or 4 inch high 1/2 circular board to make sure my head was lower than my body. He thought my brace was supportive enough to keep my back straight, but it wasn't. I wear a Jewett (sp?) brace which is supportive at my chest and pelvis in front and only at the waist in back. I did not realize the way he would move me or what the board was for until it was too late. By then the room was spinning like crazy and I was holding on to his arm for dear life, knowing that my back was in a position it should not be in!

I ended up in bed very sore for two days, and the soreness lasted long enough in general that I went for an exray to be sure I did not cause any real damage. Everything is fine, but make sure anyone who examines you knows that your back needs to be fully supported and straight at all times.

My therapist has a bed where just the head area drops slightly and that was very comfortable for me as long as I kept my knees bent.

I hope you get this problem resolved quickly and that this info is helpful. We do not need to be any more uncomfortable than is absolutely necessary!
              -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12

Comment

dizzytimes forum

Hi Jo,

Interesting stuff. Thx for the info.

It sure can get complicated dxing these things. Whenever I had any dizzy issues, I would try to sleep it off. That was just the easiest way to deal with it.

I didnt realize that there are people that have Labyrinthitis issues for long periods of time and I stumbled across the "Dizzytimes" forum.

To have these issues for any extended period of time would be absolute hell......

I guess riding roller coasters would not be part of the therapy.

http://community.dizzytimes.com/topi...hat-to-expect/

Just having scoliosis is hard enough let alone adding ear issues.

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Ed, Thanks for the website info. I can't imagine being one of those people who suffer with vertigo all the time. I know someone who has to have the therapy every year or so when her symptoms reappear. I hope mine never come back!

I also hope this is what Dolores's problem is because it's easy to treat without medication. My therapist said some people only need one visit! I know that there are many causes of vertigo as you and JennG mentioned in your posts, but I was fascinated reading about my type and amazed with the results of the therapy.

Having experienced vertigo for all those weeks will probably keep me away from roller coasters or anything else that causes dizziness for life! Just the thought of it brings back sickening memories! ...It was a pretty funny comment though. As always, thanks for the laugh .
                  -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12

Comment

Hi Jo,
                    I'm so glad to hear that you have had your vertigo problems resolved. I hope everything else is fine with you. Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Actually Jo, now that you mention this whole thing about displaced crystals in the ear, one of my co-workers had this same issue and at the time he was explaining to my about the crystals -- I think he had the therapy that you mentioned, his was I think a simple case of vertigo. Anyway I will make an appointment with my regular MD, I will tell my surgeon also next week -- thanks again! And Ed, I love when you tell everyone not to fall down!
                      Dolores A
                      Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Working...
                      X