Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penny for your thoughts

The medicine thread got me thinking...

For so long, I was so ashamed to take painkillers. As far as the pharmacists could see, I was a normal looking woman, coming to the pharmacy once a month for painkillers and muscle relaxers. The stigma that comes with taking pain pills is what had me feeling bad. Like what if they think I am just another pill popper?

My pain management doctor, at my very first visit, he walked in and said "you're too young to be in here!" and then I told him what was wrong and showed him x-rays and all that and he understood.

Being in pain like we all have been, I think it makes us more compassionate to others. Like my husband for instance. He has never dealt with severe, chronic pain other than hearing me cry about it all the time, and I just felt and still feel that he will never get it! The pain is not just physical, it takes a toll on your mentality as well!!

Knowing what its like to be in chronic pain makes you a stronger, more caring and compassionate person, because you know firsthand what suffering is and what it does to your body and your psyche.

I don't really know where I'm going with this post...haha...I just feel like some people will never understand our need for the "heavier" drugs...the struggle with dependency, or fear of becoming dependent, when all you're trying to do is stay comfortable and function like anyone else.

Ok, I am going to bed now...much love to you all!
    .: St@ci :.
    28 years old
    Mama to two daughters
    Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
    No treatment.
    Decided on surgery 16 years later.
    Thoracic curve - 65
    Lumbar curve- 63
    Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
    Fused T2-L3
    No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
    http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Chronic pain is such a different animal than acute pain. I wish I could remember the exact quote, and who said it - but it was said a few hundred years ago by some famous man who was known and respected for his character and strength in adversity. . ."Chronic pain brings the strongest man to his knees." It is so true.

This whole "sick mode" that I'm signing up for is something I have avoided for years. I've known for 20 years that my back has been getting worse and worse, and I've refused, until about 6 weeks ago, to accept it. I never talked about it. It was a total surprise to just about everyone when I announced I was having back surgery. Other than to have babies, and a few quickie surgeries (1 consult visit, same day surgery, 1 post-op visit) I never went to the doctor. I hate the whole "patient" thing, and the whole "takes medications" thing. . .and have avoided the whole medical world/rx world like the plague. . .but I'm about to make up for lost time.

There is a contingent of people who, I gather, think I should just approach this holistically. I don't think they'll ever really believe that I could NOT "cure" an 86* curve with exercise and nutritional supplements, and deal with the post-op pain with vitamins.
    Last edited by mgs; 07-29-2009, 07:11 PM.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

I too, have avoided doctors like the plague my whole life. I realise now that I've simply been lucky, that I could.

Living with chronic pain must be the pits. I still feel we are only on the verge of safe, effective, pain control. The drugs we have are wonderful, but there are so many side effects. Thankfully, surgical techniques are moving forward in leaps and bounds. Thank goodness there are people out there who are willing to devote 15-20 years of their life to studying, because there's always going to be more to learn. They deserve all the respect and financial rewards they receive.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmama81 View Post
        The medicine thread got me thinking...

For so long, I was so ashamed to take painkillers. As far as the pharmacists could see, I was a normal looking woman, coming to the pharmacy once a month for painkillers and muscle relaxers. The stigma that comes with taking pain pills is what had me feeling bad. Like what if they think I am just another pill popper?

My pain management doctor, at my very first visit, he walked in and said "you're too young to be in here!" and then I told him what was wrong and showed him x-rays and all that and he understood.

Being in pain like we all have been, I think it makes us more compassionate to others. Like my husband for instance. He has never dealt with severe, chronic pain other than hearing me cry about it all the time, and I just felt and still feel that he will never get it! The pain is not just physical, it takes a toll on your mentality as well!!

Knowing what its like to be in chronic pain makes you a stronger, more caring and compassionate person, because you know firsthand what suffering is and what it does to your body and your psyche.

I don't really know where I'm going with this post...haha...I just feel like some people will never understand our need for the "heavier" drugs...the struggle with dependency, or fear of becoming dependent, when all you're trying to do is stay comfortable and function like anyone else.

Ok, I am going to bed now...much love to you all!
        Hi Staci...

Are you still having to take heavy narcotics since your surgery? If so, you might want to try to figure out why you're still having so much pain.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I usually take 1 or 2 Lortab in the morning if I am hurting...if not, I just take 1 or 2 at bedtime if I've had a rough day.

So basically I am down to 2-4 Lortabs a day no, which my surgeon says is ok at this point, as long as I am not taking any more than that.

I just wrote all that because of how I used to feel having to get pain meds all the time for scoliosis pain, and what chronic pain does to you...guess I worded it wrong or should just not post emotional posts I honestly don't know what the point of that post was...sorry.
          .: St@ci :.
          28 years old
          Mama to two daughters
          Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
          No treatment.
          Decided on surgery 16 years later.
          Thoracic curve - 65
          Lumbar curve- 63
          Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
          Fused T2-L3
          No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
          http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Comment

Staci-
            I am SO where you are talking about right now. The med thing, pain thing, life thing is a bit overwhelming and it helps us to hear from each other that we'll be OK and we're not alone. Thanks for your post

Always Smilin'
            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
            pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
            pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
            right thoracic 57
            lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
            revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
            unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Hi Staci, I agree with always smilin' as that is exactly how I feel. You described it so well I was reading and thought, wow this lady has got it. Thanks so much you really helped me.

Macky
              Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
              Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

This is one thing I love about this site. You always find someone else who is thinking the same thing you are. I am not having my surgery until November, and I am so concerned about the pain drugs. I have had 3 C-sections, an abdominal hystarectamy and my throyid removed and the only pain drugs I have ever had to have was prescription ibuprofin. So to think about having to take all these pain meds everyone talks about just scares me.
                Lori
                Diagnosed @ at of 11
                Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
                Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
                (was told would never get worse)
                Surgery November 11, 2009
                Fused T6-T12
                Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
                Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

Working...
                X