3 months post op - Breathing Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 months post op - Breathing Problems

Dear All, I am 3 months post op (4-14-09) and still having significant breathing problems. I had pneumonia following surgery and had to be released from the rehab facility for aspiration of a plural effusion by thoracentesis. At my June 1st post op visit with the surgeon I still had fluid in my left lung.

Here it is July 15th and I still have significant shortness of breath and pain when I take a deep breath although I am told my lungs are now clear.

I have not been active on the forum... I am not too happy and can't be positive (even though you guys are really terrific) . I am desperate to know if anyone else had extended pulmonary problems and how and when they were resolved. I have had numerous pulmonary and heart tests and they are all normal (CAT scan, nerve testing, echocardiogram).

Any help will be appreciated.
    55 year old Women

Thoracic Curve: 48 degrees (Sept 08) 30 degrees at surgery time
    Lumbar Curve: 41 degrees (Sept 08) 55 degrees at surgery time
    Terrible Pain for 2 years

Surgery with Dr. Boachie-Adjei NYC
    Surgery April 14, 2009 at HSS NYC Posterior and Anterior T11 - S1 (11 hours)
    26 Days in Hospital & Rehab
    Post Op Pulmonary Problems

Lumbar Curve 11% post op

I also had lung problems following surgery. I developed a pleural effusion immediately after surgery, which at first went away on its own, but then two weeks later it came back full force. I had so much fluid in my left lung cavity, it was significantly impacting my breathing and causing EXCRUCIATING pain - especially when I lied down, or took a deep breath, laughed, cried, etc. It was BAD. At six weeks post-op, I was readmitted and doctors performed a thorocentesis - which was not effective, because, despite draining out 2 lbs of fluid, it all came back in 12 hours. Doctors then inserted a chest tube (while I was awake, might I add!), which stayed in for a few days, and THANKFULLY effectively drained all the fluid that time. Anyway, I had a chest x-ray done a month after leaving the hospital, and all fluid was still gone! I did develop a tiny air pocket from the chest tube, which is still there (though it's shrunk in size) and I think it's contributing to minor breathing issues even to this day (back surgery was 3.5 months ago). I still get winded more easily than I had prior to surgery, but it's definitely better than it was just a weeks ago. I'm sure things will only continue to improve. Hang in there!

Comment

breating

I didn't have either of the experiences you to have had but I have had trouble breathing post sugery. It went away for a little bit and has just started up again during the past 2 weeks. I think some of it may be due to muscles spasms I'm not sure. I find I sometimes take short fast shallow breaths before I can catch a normal breath. It's also difficult to take a long deep inhale.

I would imagine after such extreme situations that you both have had it would take a long time for the your bodies to really recuperate. Hang in there and try to be positive. I KNOW it's hard when you feel you have nothing to be postitive about. One thing with scoliosis surgery is you must have perseverance and courage..... which I think is something we all have. Sometimes you just need to dig deep to find it. I wish you both good luck and best wishes for better health soon.
      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Perseverance & Courage

I wish I had really understood the effort and time that recovery would take. I saw the pulmonologist again today and he can't tell me if I will get my pre-surgical pulmonary function back. There seems to be some damage to a nerve that controls my breathing. He said that I need to give it time. The waiting to feel better is extremely difficult. Thanks for the encouragement.
        55 year old Women

Lumbar Curve 11% post op

Comment

Originally posted by EdieG View Post
          I wish I had really understood the effort and time that recovery would take. I saw the pulmonologist again today and he can't tell me if I will get my pre-surgical pulmonary function back. There seems to be some damage to a nerve that controls my breathing. He said that I need to give it time. The waiting to feel better is extremely difficult. Thanks for the encouragement.
          Edie,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having having so much trouble. You have been in my thoughts.

Let me know if you'd like a visit. I'd love to give you a hug.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Since our bodies go on healing long after we think we are healed - just note those who are 2 years out who say they're so much better than their one year anniversary - so with that in mind, I do feel you have a good chance of improving. It's still early days for you. Sending cyber-hugs and good luck wishes.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I have had a lot of breathing/lung problems too. I tried to explain it to someone the other day like this...All my organs were squished for so long that now that there is all this room they are fighting to see who gets to be where and gets the most room.

My lungs have felt like they were shot since my surgery. I am getting better, but I have that "muscle spasm" or triple gasp for breath too, through out the day. I still sleep on a wedge, it is too hard to breath laying flat.

But all in all I would do it again.
              ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
              pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
              post-surg 22* Thoracic.
              Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Hi Edie,
                I too had surgery with Dr. Boachie- in December of '06. My curve was very severe (100 deg) and everything went well, but at my first post op appt 3 weeks after surgery I remember telling him I was having trouble taking a deep breath. He told me it would take 2 years to get my lung function back. I did not have fluid post op like you did, but I wonder if lung function is temporarily impaired anyway. It gradually got better, but I still get more winded than I used to when I exercise, etc. And there are days when I feel tired that it still feels like it is hard to take a deep breath. Be patient- I think what you are going through could be "normal". (Since the fluid is gone-?) I've heard of you through "Peachy" (we keep in touch). I'm so sorry you've had problems, but I do think you will see significant improvement as time goes on. I still feel myself getter stronger, even at 2 1/2 yrs post op. This is such a big surgery that I think it takes a really long time to get back to feeling normal. Take care Edie-
                Cathie

Comment

lung problems

dear edie
                  so sorry you are having this problem! when i had a consult w/boachie 2 years ago, he said he likes to go in with an incision from the side, collapse a lung, & do the surgery that way...did he do that w/you? is that what contributed to the problem? i really hope it is a matter of time & that this is part of the healing process...& that you will feel better soon...

take care
                  jess

Comment

Hi Edie,

Even at 2 years post-op, my breath is not back to what it was before surgery., but it is vastly improved. For at least the first six months I felt pretty breathless when I tried to talk loudly or sing. When you consider that the long anterior incision involves cutting all of the breathing muscles and at the very least pushing the lung aside (if not deflating it) to reach the spine, it makes sense. I did not have the pulmonary complications you've had. I'm glad to hear that your lungs are clear and that everything "looks" okay -- certainly you will continue to improve.

If you really do have nerve impairment, that will definitely take time to heal .. nerves recover verrrry slowly. But they DO come back.
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Pressure to Get Better

I have to get used to the idea that it is going to take time. Two years sounds so long.

I feel like I am under pressure to be better... some of it from myself (It is so hard to feel bad all the time), some from the family (they want me at family parties and events) and my work (It is wonderful that I have received flowers each month that I've been out but each card says they ask when I will be back to work).

Thanks for all the cyber-hugs.
                      Edie
                      55 year old Women

Lumbar Curve 11% post op

Comment

pressure

EdieG,

I can understand where you are coming from. For one, I think we all put a lot of pressure on oursleves to get better as fast as we can and realistically there is just no way except to wait it out and let time take it's course. Frustrating as it is! As far as family, I have been there to and my husband had to explain that "hello" she just had her whole spine fused and no we can't come out for the 4th of July. Most people really don't have a understanding of what you have gone through. Not to mention if you try and rush things you only set yourself back. Which I did not to long ago. It passed, I feel great now, but I learned that I have to take it slow even though I am feeling better. Things will come in due time! Hang in there and listen to your own body, that is the best one to listen to! Take care.
                        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi Edie,
                          Just FYI- I did not go back to work until 10 months post of- then just half days. I started full time at one year post op. My job is pretty demanding and I have a long commute, and I just didn't feel up to it until then. So don't let them put pressure on you! I know-I got comments too from people who did not really understand what I had been through. Still do-I might mention my back surgery and someone might start telling me about the surgery they had on their big toe! Like it can even begin to compare-Just take care of yourself!
                          Cathie

Comment

I totally understand the pressure on oneself and from others to feel better more quickly, which is why I spent several months in tears of frustration after my surgery. I will tell you also that when I finally got off oxycontin (which was definitely needed for months), my mood really brightened. I would not have done anything differently in that department, but just be aware that even though narcotics are a huge help, they can do a number on your psyche.

Dr. Boachie does a wonderful job but his long anterior incision is brutal. It takes us a lot longer to recover than people who have posterior-only surgery, in my opinion.
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

3 weeks post op breathing issues

Hi Edie

I'm only 3 weeks post op and have noticed that I cannot breath deeply. I had a posterior-only procedure so I was not expecting to have my breathing compromised.

What I noticed was that in the hospital, I was told to exercise with the spirometer. I felt that my right lung had some problem but with practice I was able to get the spirometer up to 1250 when I took a deep breath. A few days after I went home, I noticed I was breathless so I checked and found that I could only reach 500 !
                              I worked at it and finally got it back up to 1000 but cannot get any deeper breath. I get breathless doing the simplest things. it feels like my right lung has some sort of obstruction.

Anyway, just this afternoon I talked with the surgeon's nurse and she said my symptoms are not normal for the type of surgery I have so she had me set up an appointment with my family physician. I'll keep you posted.

By the way....when are you scheduled to go back to work? I work in an office and they expect me to come back after 12 weeks. That's not what my surgeon predicted, but it is what Human Resources said was "normal and customary." I'm not so sure I'm going to make that.

Sheri
                              At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                              Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                              Excellent correction

Comment

Working...
                              X