Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping Back and other concerns

Hello all,
    As usual, I'm coming back to my authorities with questions and concerns. I'm still having considerable pain, primarily lower when I first wake up. As I move around it gets a little better, my guess is from loosening up a bit, but it never goes away. I still have a burning/aching pain (the only word I can think of to describe it) from the top of my fusion to the bottom. That's all the time. It's completely different than the tingling nerve pain, although that's back too. Ugh! The burning/aching goes all the way through to my front. Anyone else ever experience that? There are multiple other pains but that's the most major.

Also, here recently when I lay down, mostly on my back, and as all my muscles relax, I get a very painful pop at the T-12/L-1 area. The pop is the worst but the pain lingers for a while after. Any advice?

One more thing. I know Flat Back Syndrome is quite uncommon but I'm a little concerned about the possibility that may be what I'm dealing with. I go back to my surgeon July 23 so hopefully I'll know for sure then, but in the mean time I'm doing my own research to try to find some answers. My posture is much worse now than it was prior to my fusion surgery last year. In fact, I had a co-worker ask me the other day why I can't stand straight any more. That coupled with the pain I'm having in the lumbar area scares me. I really hope there's a very simple explaination for all this. It just seems nothing is simple in this whole "adventure".

Anything you would like to share would be most appreciated.
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Originally posted by skoshi314 View Post
    Hello all,
    As usual, I'm coming back to my authorities with questions and concerns. I'm still having considerable pain, primarily lower when I first wake up. As I move around it gets a little better, my guess is from loosening up a bit, but it never goes away. I still have a burning/aching pain (the only word I can think of to describe it) from the top of my fusion to the bottom. That's all the time. It's completely different than the tingling nerve pain, although that's back too. Ugh! The burning/aching goes all the way through to my front. Anyone else ever experience that? There are multiple other pains but that's the most major.

Also, here recently when I lay down, mostly on my back, and as all my muscles relax, I get a very painful pop at the T-12/L-1 area. The pop is the worst but the pain lingers for a while after. Any advice?

One more thing. I know Flat Back Syndrome is quite uncommon but I'm a little concerned about the possibility that may be what I'm dealing with. I go back to my surgeon July 23 so hopefully I'll know for sure then, but in the mean time I'm doing my own research to try to find some answers. My posture is much worse now than it was prior to my fusion surgery last year. In fact, I had a co-worker ask me the other day why I can't stand straight any more. That coupled with the pain I'm having in the lumbar area scares me. I really hope there's a very simple explaination for all this. It just seems nothing is simple in this whole "adventure".

Anything you would like to share would be most appreciated.
    Hi...

I can't remember anyone telling me of the burning pain you describe, but it's really way too early to know whether something might be wrong. While flatback is an issue for people with old distraction-style implants, it's relatively rare with newer implants. When your surgeon displays your side-view xrays, ask him to demonstrate your sagittal balance. It should look something like spine B in Figure 6 on this page:

http://www.medscape.com/content/2003...48307_fig.html

I've read that people had popping sounds and sensations from their implants, but I can't remember ever reading any follow up. Hopefully, someone who has experienced the popping will tell you about their experience.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, Thank you for your reply. I know flat back is really rare with today's technology, I guess I'm just worried. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a control freak and I feel I have absolutely no control over what's happening to me. I appreciate the link to the illustrations. They are really helpful.

The burning sensation covers the full length of my spine sometimes, staying mostly from about my bra strap to above my shoulder blades. I'm sure it's too early to know if something is wrong, but I keep trying to analyze every little twinge. My biggest concern with that pain is that I may have to have the fusion extended higher. The lower back pain, which is typically completely different, is what worries me concerning flat back. I guess the basis of my concern is that I'm a year post-op and I really haven't had any improvement in my pain levels in 4 or 5 months.

The popping is a separate issue. It had happened a couple of times earlier, but it has become much more frequent in the last 2 weeks. In fact on Sunday, it happened 4 times. I wasn't a happy camper! It feels like there's a connection to the muscles relaxing. If there is anybody with similar symptoms I'd love to hear from you.
      Becky, 46 years old
      Ignored until 448/07
      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
      Fused T-10 to L-5
      Email

Comment

Linda, Thank you for your reply. I know flat back is really rare with today's technology, I guess I'm just worried. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a control freak and I feel I have absolutely no control over what's happening to me. I appreciate the link to the illustrations. They are really helpful.

The burning sensation covers the full length of my spine sometimes, staying mostly from about my bra strap to above my shoulder blades. I'm sure it's too early to know if something is wrong, but I keep trying to analyze every little twinge. My biggest concern with that pain is that I may have to have the fusion extended higher. The lower back pain, which is typically completely different, is what worries me concerning flat back. I guess the basis of my concern is that I'm a year post-op and I really haven't had any improvement in my pain levels in 4 or 5 months.

The popping is a separate issue. It had happened a couple of times earlier, but it has become much more frequent in the last 2 weeks. In fact on Sunday, it happened 4 times. I wasn't a happy camper! It feels like there's a connection to the muscles relaxing. If there is anybody with similar symptoms I'd love to hear from you.
        OOPs, made an assumption that the June surgery in your signature was June 2009. The symptoms you describe could be nothing, but if possible, I'd encourage you to get a second opinion.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I get the popping in my lower back but I'm only 8 weeks post op...it is an eerie and disconcerting feeling but according to my doctor not unusual.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Always Smilin'
          Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
          pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
          pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
          right thoracic 57
          lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
          revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
          unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Thanks, Smilin'. Any response is wonderful. It reminds me I'm not alone!
            Becky, 46 years old
            Ignored until 448/07
            Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
            Fused T-10 to L-5
            Email

Comment

Thanks, Smilin'. Any response is wonderful. It reminds me I'm not alone!
              In that case, please know that I read your thread and you are in my thoughts and prayers. I've had a little popping on occasion, but nothing I thought mattered or concerned me very much, so I'm no help that way. Keep us posted! Hugs, Susie
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks Susie Bee! I can use all the hugs and prayers I can get.
                Becky, 46 years old
                Ignored until 448/07
                Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                Fused T-10 to L-5
                Email

Comment

Hi Becky
                  Was reading this thread and I was feeling your pain. I don't exactly have "burning" pain along the fusion but I can certainly feel the entire length of it, some days more than others depending on my activity level. Its more of an achey stiff feeling. And I can feel the rods too. Could your pain be muscular related to the rods? I also have thought I had flat back due to my inability to stand upright. I don't feel balanced. It will be interesting to know what your doc says. Good luck!!!
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

burning pain/flatback

Becky,

I completely understand the "burning" you speak of. For me it's right in the lumbar spine....not muscle. My doctor understand the pain thank god. I had my surgery 3 months ago and had my first real set back last week with this burning pain againMy first thought was oh no I did something bad and I am going to have this pain again and I really can't imagine having to do that. Prior to surgery this burning was so bad that I couldn't even roll over in bed. Surgery took care of that until last week. I am hoping that I just strained a muscle and it will just take sometime to heal. I have had a lot of popping and cracking but no real pain along with it.

As far as your concern of flatback syndrome, that is very very rare with the new hardware that they use. That was one of my first questions to my doc. I thought why go through all this pain and be right back where I started and he said it almost never happens anymore. I doubt that's what your dealing with. Hang in there and I hope you get your answers from your doc as to what is going on. I go in thursday to find out about mine......i do have that little butterfly feeling....I really think he is going to tell me I just over did it...EVERYONE KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!
                    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X