Dr Frank Rand in Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Frank Rand in Boston

I had revision surgery with Dr Frank Rand in 1997 at the New England Baptist Hospital. This was an 11 1/2 hour anterior/posterior procedure to repair my flatback, stenosis, and disc degeneration. The surgery involved removal of my harrington rod, replacement of my L4/5 disc with two cages, extension of the fusion to L5 and placement of rods and a pedicle screw.

I was fortunate with my post surgical rehab and went back to work/activities much sooner than I expected. However I did experience some sexual dysfunction which was theorized to be due to morphine. I am now 6 years post op and despite being 52 years old, and fused from T4-L5, I am actively working out with weights, biking, kayaking, and golfing.

Dr Rand is a conservative doctor who listens to his patients' needs, and is also a great surgeon when necessary. In addition, NEBH is a specialty orthopedic hospital with good spine care, and while the rehab was not perfect, I would not hesitate going back for surgery there if necessary.
    Best Regards,

JOB

Dr. Rand

Have an appointment with Dr. Rand on 10/23/03 to discuss surgery for
    progressing scoliosis. I'll inform this group about what he tells me on Thursday.

Comment

Hi Joe:

I was extremely glad to hear your evaluation of Dr. Rand. I have been to see him three times now. I have a fusion from T4-L4 that was done in 1990 by a surgeon in my town. Within 3 years of the surgury I started with a lot of lower back pain and was basically told to grunt it out.

Along about the 9th-10th year after the surgery I started getting pain down my left leg and could not sit in most chairs. I have been extremely limited in the amount of standing and walking that I can do. When I confronted him again about the pain I was having he replied that I should limit how much I sit. Well, I am a computer programmer, so sitting goes with the territory!

Fortunately for me he has left my home town which forced me to look for another doctor to handle my care. There was only one in this area and I did not choose to go to him. Researching the internet I found Dr. Rand. Although it is a 3 1/5 drive for me, I have seen him 3 times now and am just trying to work up the courage to setup the new surgery date. He has suggested a revision surgery, but the total extent is unknown at this point until I complete the necessary tests.

It is nice to hear that you had a lot of success with your surgery. It helps to give me a little more push to stop having pain filled days and to go get this done. Having already had the fusion, you kind of know what's ahead of you and that can do a lot to deter your decision making process.

Again, thanks for the encouraging words.

Sharyn

Comment

Dr. Rand and Physical Therapy

I will be seeing Dr. Rand in March to access what's going on with degenerative arthritis and acute pain in low back, hips and legs. I have been getting flatback for the past few years but weird with this acute pain, I am leaning backward instead of forward!
        Until my appt comes, I am going to be going to PT as ordered thru my local ortho. Question is: Does anyone know of PT specializing in "our kind of problem"? and is it necessary to find one that does? I am located in the northshore area of boston. Thanks!
        Luann

Comment

I've heard many nice things about Dr Rand. Not sure if he is still at New England Baptist Hospital. The cheif surgeon Dr Robert J Banco performed my anterior/posterior lumbar interbody fusion L4,L5-S1 in the summer of 2007 and I highly recommend him. He is a great surgeon and a very kind man. Ellen

Comment

Working...
          X