7 week follow up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 week follow up

Had my follow up today which is about 7 weeks postop. The doctor was very happy with how things seemed to be progressing. I got to see my xrays which I must say I was blown away. I saw a small one of my lumbar area after surgery but seeing them full size up on the screen is just amazing. I was informed by the doc that they had to use pediatric screws because I had small bones which I was surprised to hear. He said this was probably part of the problem involving the scoli. He lifted some restrictions and we'll talk about PT around the 3 month mark and only 4 more weeks in the brace and then I can ween myself out of it. THANK GOD!!!!!!! I was surprised though that he said I could lift up 25 pounds.....obviously that would be working up to at my own comfort. He does want me walking more but being here in Virginia Beach the heat makes that difficult. He suggested walking at the mall. Why didn't I think of that one lol. I am cleared for the pool and he said I can hold the baby while I'm in the pool and that made for a happy mama today folks:O) I cannot wait to get that little 23 pounder in my arms. YAAA!

I would like to know if anyone else out there was cleared this early to lift up to 25 pounds. Keep in mind I have kept a lot of strength left from my bodybuilding years. I also have always been very flexible even through the past five years of pain so that's not a problem. It just seems to early still and I think I will put off trying to lift that much. A full gallon of milk is still not to comfy to lift.

At least I know I have the go ahead to start working towards a goal and my husband can't yell at me in the process! If anything he will be right there helping me along like he has been. He has been my strength through all of this. I truly am blessed.

OK, enough for now. Hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well :O)
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

That's great to hear. You must be really pleased. I'm sure you're really happy about starting to get rid of the brace too. Hope you continue to recover this well.

My first post-op appointment is tomorrow so will be good to get some feedback on how I'm going.
    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
    46° curve
    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

I had my first post-op appointment on Thursday. My surgeon seems to be quite happy with the way my incision is healing and also that I'm only down to 1 pain killer tablet a day (which I take at night to help my body relax and all that). I can start weening out of my brace in 6 weeks which hopefully means I will be completely rid of it by the time I start uni again one month later. I also asked my surgeon about my hips. He said that he thinks they will continue to improve a bit more but they won't be perfectly even like someone who doesn't have scoliosis. I just want to be able to wear nice clothes this summer. Hopefully I can. Will be having my x-rays done soon and seeing the doctor again in six weeks.
      Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
      46° curve
      Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

uneven hips

Cimbon,

Sounds as though things are really progressing well for you. As far as your hips, I wouldn't worry to much. It does take time for things to fall into place so to speak. My pelvis was so tilted and off center that I have one leg that is a little off but it's slowly coming back. Funny though I have one knee that is starting to bother me but I am sure it's starting to remember it's proper place. To bad there is no quick fix for scoliosis. God bless the ones that deal with this everyday but it could be much worse :O)
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X