Hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hi I'm new on here and I myself have had an operation to correct my scoliosis of 50 degrees earlier this year, by the insertion of titanium metal rods and the fusing of ribs. I have only jus found this website and I wish I had found it before my operation in january 2004, because it could have settled so many of my worries I felt I couldn't talk about with my family and friends as they had never expeienced this problem and couldn't relate to me. That's why I hope by posting this I can help anyone who is nervous about having an operation or is unsure about it as I have been through it fairly recently and am still recovering even 8 months after my operation. Please don't hesitate to contact me
    love to u all juliexxx
    Last edited by Jules; 09-05-2004, 03:14 PM.
    15 with a 50 degree curve
    Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

My daughter, Amber, is 4 months post-op. I was wondering at 8 months how you are feeling. Did you lose much weight while in hospital? Where are you fused and what can you do now that you couldn't do 4 months ago?
    Thankyou in advance.
    Best wishes.
    Cheryl.

Comment

hi well im feeling much better and have resumed my normal life again. I have been able to go out to parties with my friends, though sometimes when i go out for a whole day where I am standing up alot for example shopping my back begins to ache alot and I find it takes another day or so to feel totally better. Every now and then I also feel some twinges in my back and there is still alot of numbness around the scar, which I was told would go completly after 1-2 years!
      When I went in for my operation I was 8 stone 4 pounds and I lost quite a bit of weight throughout my original recovery becuase I was not eating mainly becuase at first of the medication but then whilst I was recovering at home I did not use enough energy to eat alot of food, my weight now is just under 8 stone so I did not loose a substanstial amount so do not worry about.
      Im not sure of the exact place of the fusing but i had a backwards c shaped curve towards my right shoulder near teh top of my spine.
      I hope i have helped you and I wish your daughter a speedy recovery
      love to u julesxxx

Comment

Stones???

I'm sorry, but what are stones? I know it's a weight measurement but which one? I'm glad that at 8 months you have resumed an almost totally normal life. I only had my surgery 3 and a half weeks ago, and I'm already feeling a lot better. I hope I can go back to school earlier than expected and also participate in sports earlier, too, because that's what I miss the most.
        Larari
        Two Curves
        One was in low 40's
        One in high 30's
        Braced for eight months
        Curves got worse
        The one in the 40's was now in the 60's
        The one in the 30's was now in the high 50's
        Surgery 8/25/04
        1 and 1/2 inches taller

Comment

Jules,
          After you have had a big day and your back is aching what do you do? Amber needs a half day or so of rest the next day to deal with it. Have you found anything else that helps or does the three extra post-op time make a big difference?
          Best wishes.
          Cheryl.

Comment

Hi if i have a hard day and my back is aching then I usually have a long soak in a hot bath and lie down. Yer i have found that the extra few months have made a differences to copeing with long hard days as 2 months post op I went on a school geography field trip and i was out of the house for over 12 hours after this I had to have a complete days rest to feel better. When I was at the stage Amber is at now I was only at schoo for half days because I felt that I needed time to rest becuase I got very tired. But now 8 months on I only have to rest if I have carried a very heavy bag at school all day or have just been standing up for a long time, but this rest is only a couple of hours at night.
            I recommend hot baths and jus generally keeping warm and lying down as these worked best for me.
            I hope Amber doesn't encounter too many pains and aches and i wish her a speedy recovery
            If i can help you in any other way please don't hesitate to ask
            love Julesxxxxxxxx

Comment

Amber has yet to try getting into a bath. School holidays start in a week so she might want to try then. It is good having someone to ask that has just been through these things because your memory is very fresh.
              Where are you fused? Amber is fused from L4 to T4 and had 5 ribs done. Did you have thorocoplasty?
              Thanks for your reply.
              Best wishes.
              Cheryl.

Comment

Working...
              X