Chiropracty and Scoliosis:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiropracty and Scoliosis:

Maybe something to start a discussion about alternative treatments. I'd have to dig deeper to find something that deals with excercise.

This is from an annotated bibliography put together by the SRS bracing commitee. (Emphasis added is mine)

Chiropracty and Scoliosis:
    Effects of chiropractic intervention on small scoliotic curves in younger subjects: a time-series cohort design. Lantz CA, Chen J. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 24:385-393, 2001.
    These chiropractic authors report their negative results. These authors studied 42 patients age 6 to 12 years with curvatures between 6 and 25°. Each patients underwent a series of chiropractic full spine adjustment over a mean of 14.5 months. In addition, they also were given heel lifts, as well as postural lifestyle counseling and exercises, such as stretching on a chinning bar. No improvement in the curves was observed with this treatment. The authors concluded that chiropractic treatment does not improve scoliotic curves. An important study to quote when asked about the role of chiropractic intervention.

An inquiry into chiropractors’ intention to treat adolescent scoliosis: a telephone survey
    Feise, RJ. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 24:177-182, 2001..

The author is Research Director, American Chiropractic Research Foundation. The findings exemplify the state of current chiropractic management of scoliosis. In this study 90% (114/216) of an eligible sample of chiropractors responded to a telephone survey to determine the clinical management approach to a hypothetical 12 year old, Risser 1, female patient with a 25° curvature of the spine. It was found that the typical chiropractor would provide 6 months of intensive adjustive treatment and 4 years of follow-up care, 73% would use heel lifts, 87% exercise, and 39% physical therapy or electrical stimulation (30%). Ninety-five percent stated that they used clinical experience as a means of establishing a treatment regimen. Only 20% knew the difference between retrospective and prospective research design.

comments?

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
    Only 20% knew the difference between retrospective and prospective research design.[/COLOR]

comments?
    My main comment is this is STILL one of my favorite quotes you posted from an article.

We heard some noises a while back about how much schooling chiros need. Well I'd like to know what the heck they are learning that doesn't include a cursory understanding of basic terms like retrospective and prospective. I mean those aren't even medical/technical terms... where are they finding these people anyway???

I don't think the great run of people realize that chiros don't have adequate training to begin to start to think about treating scoliosis.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by NMFB
      A short while ago I had read something, on this forum, about a connection between Arthur Copes, whose name appears on the beginning page of this web site, and a group of physicians or orthotists. Did anyone else read anything like this?
      I know what you're getting at DT and it was me who posted the relationship. But we have to be careful about falsly accusing someone and assuming guilt by association.

Remember, even Jesus had an association with thieves and prostitutes. For me, it is going to take more than just a relationship with Copes to damn someone. (But maybe it raises the bar on assessing credibility)

Comment

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
        Remember, even Jesus had an association with thieves and prostitutes. For me, it is going to take more than just a relationship with Copes to damn someone. (But maybe it raises the bar on assessing credibility)
        Good point. I had a Syrian hamster as a pet (this breed is the popular pet you might be familiar with) yet I have a very definite limit when it comes to alcohol intact.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
        X