Q on use of braces (1-2 years after surgery) to halt curve progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q on use of braces (1-2 years after surgery) to halt curve progression

I have a question for anyone who is familiar with the use of braces (Providence or Charleson) when curve progression reappears 1-2 years after surgery for congenital scoliosis.

Two years ago, my child had successful hemivertebrae excision in lumbar section... Since then, it has been smooth sailing (straight back, no brace, i.e., 'back to normal')

However, recently, child's back back is starting to curve again (above small lumbar fusion.)

Nightime braces are being looked at by child's doctor (as way of slowing down progression while 'watching/waiting' to see if curve will stop on its own.)

Both Charleston and Providence braces were mentioned as possibilities...

So... I am trying to understand the difference between Charleston and Providence braces.

In specific, I'm trying to learn whether one brace tends to be used for certain kinds/types of curves...

I would really appreciate any info/comments people can share on:

-- Differences between Charleston and Providence braces
    -- How (i.e., for what kinds of curves or situations) they tend to be used
    -- Effectiveness
    -- Anything else you care to share.

Thanks!

I know next to nothing about this although my one daughter is in a Charleston.

As I recall, the Charleston was thought to be more (most?) effective on lumbar curves. So I guess that would be good for your daughter just based on that.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I moved this thread from the kids forum to the parents forum.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

OK, thanks

Comment

How old is your child? My son wore a TLSO brace for about 3 1/2 years which helped keep his curve stable (sort of) until his adolescent growth spurt made the brace especially ineffective and painful to wear.

I'm sorry I know nothing about the nighttime braces you're asking about.

Good luck finding the answers you need. I'm sorry your child's spine is curving again....
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
          X