Curve Progression in Idiopathic Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curve Progression in Idiopathic Scoliosis

I can't remember who asked me about this last week, but you can read Weinstein and Ponseti's complete paper on progression in idiopathic scoliosis (in both immature and mature spines), here:

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/reprint/65/4/447.pdf
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

That's a fascinating article Linda, thanks for posting it.

Can anyone explain to me what the "intercrest line" is? I'm interested in its relation to L5, but am not sure where to draw this imaginary line. Do you draw it across the tops of the iliac crests?

Comment

Thanks Linda, that was me who asked for it.
      I found something I copied from your website in December. The paper that the text below is from is what I was looking for.

In adults, progression depends on the degree of the curve. Minimal progression can be expected in an adult whose curve is less than 30 degrees. A 40- to 50-degree curve in a skeletally mature person will progress 10 to 15 degrees over a normal lifetime, and curves greater than 50 degrees progress 1 or 2 degrees every year.

That's not to say the paper you linked isnt interesting. But the RATE of curvature was what I was really getting at. Perhaps the text above jogs your memory. I am almost certain I found it on your site. They probably summarized this info from the paper you linked.

Comment

Hi CD...

Sorry, I can't remember from where that came. The 40-50 degree part of the statement makes me believe it didn't come from the referenced study, as this study grouped curves from 30-50 degrees. Nonetheless, the data in Table 1 does a great job of describing which curves are expected to progress.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
          That's a fascinating article Linda, thanks for posting it.

Can anyone explain to me what the "intercrest line" is? I'm interested in its relation to L5, but am not sure where to draw this imaginary line. Do you draw it across the tops of the iliac crests?
          Hi..

The intercrest line is a line drawn across the top of the two iliac crests. Sorry that I couldn't find an image for you.

--Linda

Comment

No worries Linda, that's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks

Comment

Working...
            X