Posterior/Anterior Scheduled for April 14th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posterior/Anterior Scheduled for April 14th

My name is Edie and I am scheduled for Surgery with Dr. Boachie-Adjei at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC on April 14th. You may have seen me on the forum before under an anonymous name.

I am so grateful to all the people on the forum and don't know what I would do without you. I have met in person some wonderful women in New Jersey and spoke over the past two days in detail with Debbei and Peachy.

I've now completed my pulmonary testing, echocardiogram, EKG, MRIs and Internal Medicine review. I have a stress test tomorrow and will finalize the pre-op appointments next week.

I will keep reading and learning. Thank you all!
    55 year old Women

Thoracic Curve: 48 degrees (Sept 08) 30 degrees at surgery time
    Lumbar Curve: 41 degrees (Sept 08) 55 degrees at surgery time
    Terrible Pain for 2 years

Surgery with Dr. Boachie-Adjei NYC
    Surgery April 14, 2009 at HSS NYC Posterior and Anterior T11 - S1 (11 hours)
    26 Days in Hospital & Rehab
    Post Op Pulmonary Problems

Lumbar Curve 11% post op

Hi Edie -- I'll be thinking of you!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Edie- that's coming up fast. Best of luck to you!

Always Smilin'
      Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
      pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
      pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
      right thoracic 57
      lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
      revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
      unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Wishing you the best of luck Edie. We look forward to hearing how it all went when you are well enough.

Jen
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Wishing you all the best. Sounds like you've gone through all the necessary prep. Keep us posted.

Sheri
          At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
          Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
          Excellent correction

Comment

welcome Edie/Rachel update

Edie,

Welcome back....(new name and all!) Yes things seem to moving along quickly aren't they. On my end , I must say everyone else seems to be getting nervous for me. I spend more time telling everyone else it will be fine that I just can't wait to get it over with. I'll do my whinning then I'm sure! I must say folks that I am in a lot of pain today! Everything hurts! I am currently on the couch leaning against an ice pack and have an ice pack under my knee. The Iliotibial band (IT band) is worse than it normally is. this muscle, for those who don't know, connects from the the hipbone, down the side of the leg and connects to the back outter part of the knee. When it is inflamed and massasaged it hurts worse than having a baby with no drugs....trust me...been there done that lol. Oh well, enough complaining, doesn't change a thing anyways!

On a positive note, I have been talking with Rachel and she is doing well! Little bit of a rough patch yesterday, but hanging in there like a champ. She always so sooo cheery! Yes, Rachel you are very cheery...(if u get around to reading this:O) yep, been talking about ya!). I hope I can have as positive an attitude like you when I am home!

Take care everyone and have a great weekend.
            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

tests.....

I've now completed my pulmonary testing, echocardiogram, EKG, MRIs and Internal Medicine review. I have a stress test....

Just wondering if everyone has these test or doesn't it depend on age/doctor/insurance. I had an MRI, CT, more exrays and will have my preop apt. on april 9th. However, My doc hasn't mentioned any of the above tests. Just wondering.....I know every patient and doc is different. Just wondering if I should question the doctor.
              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I didn't have those tests, Susan. I was called to the hospital the day before surgery and waited around expecting to be put through the mill. Someone came and took blood and that was that. About 8.30pm, I asked if I was going to have an ECG. They said it wasn't written up for me. So I went to sleep and they woke me at 7 to have a shower and get ready for surgery. I asked for a pre-med which I got and I don't remember anything else!

Comment

I didn't have any of those tests either. My pre-op is scheduled for the 8th, then I go in around 5:30am on the 15th.

I am getting so nervous also. My cousin is coming in town to watch the kids, I am worried about my youngest, he is 3 and has only been away from me twice for two-three days each time. But I know it will be worth it later...probably much later.

One of my co-workers daughter had Surgery 5 yrs ago, she asked her if she would do it again. She told me she didn't hesitate and said yes! Without a doubt. That was very encouraging.
                  ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
                  pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
                  post-surg 22* Thoracic.
                  Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Good luck Edie! I hope everything goes well for you.

Ascbodypro-I did have all those tests. The reason is because I have an "abnormal" heart, also asthma. So they needed to make sure everything was okay before surgery.
                    25 years old
                    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                    Anterior on 11/11/08
                    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                    nearly perfect correction
                    fused t-10 to pelvis
                    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Hi Em. I just wanted to wish you well on the 15th and for a smooth recovery. I'll be thinking of you!

Comment

I just found out my son who is in the Marines isn't going to be able to come home after all. He was going to get on the 17th and have 20 days off to help take care of me. I small set back, but we will make it work. I may have tried to do too much for him, so it may be God watching out for me. You know the whole "mom's baby boy home". I would want to cook for him and stuff.

Just one more weekend left. Edie your first, Good luck!
                        ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
                        pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
                        post-surg 22* Thoracic.
                        Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Edie and Em-- best wishes for successful surgeries and smooth recoveries! Just a little over a week till you're on the "other side" of surgery. That's exciting!
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Today's My Last Day At Work before the Surgery

Saying Goodbye even for a few months is tough but because of all of you I can look forward to coming back. Things have been crazy and I've been working extra hours... which leads me to bed as soon as I get home...

People have been telling me that I look like I am at peace with it... I guess I really need to get a life back and be out of pain.

Tomorrow I go to HSS for PreAdmission testing and my final consult with Dr. Boachi.
                            55 year old Women

Thoracic Curve: 48 degrees (Sept 08) 30 degrees at surgery time
                            Lumbar Curve: 41 degrees (Sept 08) 55 degrees at surgery time
                            Terrible Pain for 2 years

Surgery with Dr. Boachie-Adjei NYC
                            Surgery April 14, 2009 at HSS NYC Posterior and Anterior T11 - S1 (11 hours)
                            26 Days in Hospital & Rehab
                            Post Op Pulmonary Problems

Lumbar Curve 11% post op

Comment

Edie,

I, too, had to work many extra hours prior to my surgery as I felt guilty knowing that I'd be off work for 6-7 weeks. After my post-op yesterday, I was informed that I will be off work for at least 2 months. This said, the hardest part is the unknown and I had soo many questions prior to having this surgery done. I am feeling okay most days, but I have to be really careful not to do too much as it's only been 3 weeks since my surgery.

Everything will be fine and I will pray that you are feeling at ease when you go to the hospital for your operation. Before you know it, you will wake up and it will be over!

Thinking of you,
                              Rachel

Comment

Working...
                              X