Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace undergarments?

Hi all,

Just wondering what undergarments are worn with the post-op brace? Is a bra comfortable? I was thinking to get one of those front closing ones but not sure how it'd feel underneath. Or one of those ones with no underwire but that close at the back? Or is it better to get just a fitted camisole? How does the brace feel if what you wear underneath doesn't cover the entire torso?

I'm having anterior approach surgery and will be fused from T12 - L4. The brace will be worn for three months.

Thanks
    Last edited by Cimbom; 03-25-2009, 02:00 AM.
    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
    46° curve
    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

I guess it would depend on which type of brace you are given. I wore mine over my clothes. Mine looked kind of like one of those contraptions for holding a bass drum! LOL To be honest I didn't wear a regularly for almost 3 months post op. I just layered t-shirts and tank tops so I didn't scare small children until I could wear a bra comfortably again.
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

As Geish said, there are different types of braces... and if you want to see what she's talking about-- and the kind I wore (you wear it under your clothes unless you want to look extremely weird) you can go to this link and look at the pics in posts 10 and 11: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...8&page=1&pp=15

I didn't wear a bra except when I was going somewhere where I would feel funny. Otherwise I wore men's white undershirts (with sleeves) under the brace, then my clothing over. The brace that I had kind of held "you" up. The undershirts were to fit snugly, with no wrinkles, to prevent chafing or irritation from bunched up material. I basically went bra-less for 5 months... then had to deal with fastening my bra again. I found it fairly easy to resort to the method used in my earliest bra wearing days-- fastening it in front and then shifting it around. My range of motion didn't allow me to try to fasten it in back at that time. (I CAN do it now, though.) I don't know that a front fastening bra would have been any different from that, but maybe it would be. Good luck!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I didn't wear a bra for about six months, but then again I'm hopelessly flat-chested, so -- no big deal. I layered a couple of cotton tanks and T's under the brace to make it more comfortable. The brace really does make you feel more secure until you start to get tired of it...by the time 3 months had passed I was ready to wean off of it.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

My brace was custom molded for me. I remember when the brace maker came to see me in the hospital. It was the second day after surgery and I was in so much pain and drugged out of my mind and the last thing I wanted was to be measured for a brace. I asked the nurse to pick a pattern for me. It really looked like a bustier with a cinched in waist and built-in bra. In my case it was more like a training bra. I lived in cotton t-shirts and shorts under my brace and would have to change my t-shirts throughout the day after coming in from a walk in the hot and humid summer weather of July and August.

Comment

WOW, I never go braless, I even sleep in a sports bra. The thought of having to go braless after my surgery has brought on a whole new set of concerns. I was planning on buy several front fastening sports bras for post-op. Did anyone else do something different.
            ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
            pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
            post-surg 22* Thoracic.
            Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

I'll be doing the same plus getting some camis with in-built shelf bras in case. My brace doesn't go over my breasts though so it seems more necessary.
              Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
              46° curve
              Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

Brace Underclothing

I wore long camisoles with the built in bra. My brace was the kind with the holes in front for the boobs to stick out of! An attractive look for sure! At first I tried to find loose fitting shirts to pull over the brace but that was difficult so after a month or so, I became so that I did not care what I looked like and wore the brace over my clothes even though people looked at me funny!
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I NEVER go braless...and I did for about a week or two..then I switched to sports bras. REALLY soft ones with no clasps, they werent great (I have a fairly large chest), but it helped. When I went out I wore 2, otherwise I wore one.I tried a front fastening bra, but I didn't like the way the elastic felt near my incision...the sports bras didnt hurt so much. I also wore a tight fitting t shirt with short sleeves under the brace
                  25 years old
                  double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                  Anterior on 11/11/08
                  Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                  nearly perfect correction
                  fused t-10 to pelvis
                  with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                  Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                  Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                  Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                  Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Working...
                  X