Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lower left back/butt pain a few hrs into sleep...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower left back/butt pain a few hrs into sleep...

Hello. During the day, I feel most wonderful ( a few aches/pain here and there but nothing more than an annoyance) but during the night....EEEEGAD! I dont know what changed or what happened in the ole body of mine, but since last Thursday, like clock work at about 2:30-3:00am I am woken up by a HORRIBLE,deep, stabbing pain in my lower back, more so into my butt cheek. There is absolutly NOTHING I can do to ease the pain which, on our favorite scale of 1-10, is a 9 by the way. Well, I mean lying down anyway. If I get up and walk around or stand, the pain is gone. But then I get limited sleep. I got used to the achey back feeling of sleeping on my back but when this hit I tell ya I was shocked becuz I was doing so good. Not only can I not get more than a few hours of sleep, I cant get back to sleep once this happens. I also forgot to mention since I can remember, Ive always had issues falling asleep as well.....so a combo of the not being able to get to sleep & the getting up once I do fall asleep is not pretty. I finally called my Doc's office & got a call from a nurse who said it sounds like Sciatica. I used to get that when I was pregnant w/my 1st 13 yrs ago, but I dont recall it hurting so horribly. I also remember it travling down my butt, into my leg. This radiates upward..almost into my waist/hip area. After I told her this, she said she would have the Doc's PA call. The PA said she cant be sure what it is, but it did sound like a sciatic nerve issues based on how I described it. She asked how I felt thru out the day and when I said "GREAT!!"...she said "Hmmmmm...thats odd" So, we are now trying me on Ambien which Im sure you all know is a sleep aide. I tried it last night, and expected a quick fast push into a sweet sleep...to only be terribly disappointed. IT DIDNT WORK!! It didnt even make me sleepy,let alone keep me asleep like it was supposed to. And to boot, I was not able to take any pain meds while it was in my system...so....working on day 6 w/little or no sleep. Does ANYONE have this issue too? If so, what the heck is it and how can I make it GO AWAY, or at the very least, get some comfort?????

ps- I forgot to add that the PA is having me call & check in on Thursday if Im still having the pain......
    Last edited by LynnMarie74; 03-24-2009, 08:18 PM.
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Oh, Lynn. I'm so sorry to hear about that pain. I sure hope it's not sciatica - would that be caused by your surgery? Do you have an appt to see the dr again? Are you overdoing it during the day do you think? I wish I had answers for you - I hope you can find some answers! and soon!

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I hope its not either, its smarts from what I can recall and from what Ive been told. To run into this after doing so good and feeling so great, would be devistating to me. Im trying the Ambien again tonite & will also take 2 Tylonol and cross my fingers. If it doesnt help me sleep & Im still woken up by the pain, Im calling tomorrow, 1st thing. The PA said if its not any better by Thursday Im supposed to call anyway & maybe Dr Tribus would want to see me before my next post op April 20th.
      Lynn -30.... something
      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

It almost sounds like a deep muscle spasm to me. I'm taking a wild guess here and could of course be way off base, but I wonder if you should ask your surgeon for a muscle relaxant that you could try before bedtime. I would also cut back on your daytime activity...it's still really early in your recovery.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

DIdn't you recently switch from the hospital bed to your regular bed with a topper? I wonder if it has anything to do with that?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbe...good call. I thought of that last nite as I was struggling to be comfortable. We put the topper on what, about 2 weeks ago I think? It could be it. I will have Paul take it off tonite and see what happens. That would be so cool it that were the case!!!
            Lynn -30.... something
            UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
              Debbe...good call. I thought of that last nite as I was struggling to be comfortable. We put the topper on what, about 2 weeks ago I think? It could be it. I will have Paul take it off tonite and see what happens. That would be so cool it that were the case!!!
              IF that's what it turns out to be you can just call me Dr. Debbe

Comment

So sorry that you are suffering with this new pain when all was going so well for you. I'm glad you are in touch with your drs office. Hopefully they will know what to do to keep this a vey brief setback. If it were me, I'd cut back on the activity during the day until this gets better. I don't know if you are already doing this, but I'm wondering if a pillow under your knees at night might help..I haven't had surgery yet, but I know that's what helps me get through some tough nights now. Hope you feel better soon.
                -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
                Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
                Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
                Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Originally posted by Jo 71-09 View Post
                  So sorry that you are suffering with this new pain when all was going so well for you. I'm glad you are in touch with your drs office. Hopefully they will know what to do to keep this a vey brief setback. If it were me, I'd cut back on the activity during the day until this gets better. I don't know if you are already doing this, but I'm wondering if a pillow under your knees at night might help..I haven't had surgery yet, but I know that's what helps me get through some tough nights now. Hope you feel better soon.
                  I know, I know...I probably do do to much during the day but I cant help it. I really feel like a million bucks during the day & evening & Im really starting to feel like my old self again. I did tell my husband that I need to back off alittle tho...Ive been noticing myself getting alittle more gutsy recently. Im not twisting, or bending or cliff diving or anything crazy like that! Im just carring on about my day, as I usually would, except in different ways and for shorter periods of time. Im going to remove the matress topper and try to slower 'er down alittle bit and see what happens. I will have a call into the Dr's office tomorrow AM. I will let you all know what they say.
                  Lynn -30.... something
                  UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynn,

I hope you can find some answers as to what is going on. Sounds as though Debbie might be right. It could be a combination of the bed change and maybe over doing during the day. Hopefully the answer is as easy that. Please let us know what the PA says when you call tomorrow! Good luck and hope you get some much need sleep...no sleep will just add to all the problems. take care of you!

Susan
                    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Lynn,

Did sleeping without the topper make any difference? I hope you had a better night's sleep.

Comment

Topper was removed and I was still up at 3am w/the pain. I wish it would have been that easy-bummer! I did talk to the PA today....Dr. Tribus was in surgery today & will be out of the office tomorrow so she is going to review everything with him on Monday & get back with me then. She says that he will most likely want to see me before my next post op which isnt til April 20th. In the meanwhile, she is switching me from 5 mg Ambien to 10 mg AmbienCr. The cont. release 'should' help me stay asleep.....I guess I will find out tonite!
                        Lynn -30.... something
                        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

I'm sorry that removing the topper didn't work and that you have to wait until Monday to talk to the Dr.. Hopefully upping the meds will get you through the weekend a little more comfortably. Wishing you a better night sleep than the last few.
                          -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
                          Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
                          Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
                          Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Good luck Lynn. Hopefully, it's just one of those glitches that comes and goes during recovery and comes good by itself.

Jen
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Lynn-
                              I hope you have sweet dreams tonight with help. The muscle spasm medicine sounds interesting - I know after I had kids (kind of different - but same muscles) muscle relaxants did wonders for me! I took them a week and didn't need them longer.
                              I pray all is right with your recovery!

Always Smilin'
                              Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                              pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                              pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                              right thoracic 57
                              lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                              revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                              unsure of degrees at this point