Raised Toilet Seats??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised Toilet Seats??

OK time is getting close--a week from tomorrow! Do most of you feel the raised toilet seats for home are a must? With or without handles?

I may want one that is fairly easy to put in a car too. I will probably spend several days after the hospital at Barnes Lodge in St. Louis which is for family/patients, etc. The toilets are not raised; we called to check. So what kind works the best. Maybe we will just buy from occupational therapist there. I guess we can do that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Hi Janet...

I felt this was a necessity. I just had a plain one, without handles. You may want to wait and see what happens in the hospital. The Occupational Therapist that I worked with in the hospital, gave me one to take home. If that doesn't happen in your case, you can get one from almost any drugstore.

Good luck with your surgery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Ooooh yeah, these were a must. I used mine for months.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I loved mine too... hated to put it away, but knew when it was time to. Mine had handles and that helped sooooo much to be able to push myself up with. Mine was what they gave me in my hospital room to use, so insurance paid for it.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

They gave me one at the hospital to bring home. It has handles and I absolutely needed it when I first came home. I still have it on there at 5 months, but I should probably put it away soon. Without it, in the beginning, I would have needed assistance in the bathroom. With the toilet seat and the 'Bottom Buddy' I was fine in the bathroom by myself from day one!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

raise or not to raise???

Hi Janet!
            I asked for one in the Hospital and they gave me one that wasn't any higher than the toilet provided! lol My mom stopped by Walmart on the way home and got one without handles. I think it would have been close to impossible to use the toiltet at home without it! It made me more confortable. I used it for about two weeks before I retired it to the closet, (just in case)lol. (HOPE I WON"T HAVE TO USE IT UNTIL I AM OLD!!! Lol) Hope this helps, good luck!!!!
            Diagnosed in '06'
            Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
            Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
            Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
            Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
            Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
            I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. Think I'd better get this! I'm also trying to find a not too expensive treadmill. I know--very slowly on those the nurse told me. I will walk outside too but would like this so someone doesn't always have to walk me! I think I'll get a nice dog collar too. Janet
              Janet

Comment

Janet...

If you're on a budget, you can find a lot of used treadmills on CraigsList.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Janet

I didn't need one. I have noticed with a T2-Pelvic fusion that I actually have more problems with wiping if the toilet seat is too high. In other words, when sitting, the thighs need to be horizontal. You will see what I mean soon when you perfect your reaching position.

I would not spend any money on this. Make the decisions at the hospital, if you need it, they will bill the insurance co.

My surgeon was adamant about walking outside. I guess he doesn't like treadmills. It has to do with the clean air. The air can get stagnant in your house and should be aired out. This is especially true with Radon.

I don't have a dog, but I've always had the dog collar. My PT girl would come over and I would calm down once leashed.

You are almost there and you will make it.

Woof
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

LOL Ed!

Hi Janet. You're almost there! I do hope you are coping well, it's almost over. Sending cyber-hugs and thinking of you!

I did not have a toilet raiser and wasn't offered one. I managed the wiping ok with my left arm but not my right, for some strange reason.

They had a shower chair in the hospital but I only used it the first day on wards - Day 2. I actually find it uncomfortable to sit, so I stand more than I sit.

All the best Janet!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I needed both the raised toilet seat and the shower chair. I was very weak from the surgery and needed all the help I could get. I even had to have my husband and daughters walk me to the bathroom everytime as I would get very dizzy and feel faint for many weeks after the surgery.
                      Patty 51 years old
                      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                      Posterior T3- L4
                      Pre surgery curves
                      T-53degrees
                      L-38degrees
                      and a severe side shift to the right.
                      Post surgery curves
                      Less than 10 degrees
                      Surgery April, 2006
                      C4 - C6

Comment

It's funny how very different we can be. I used both the raised toilet seat with arms and the shower chair with handheld wand, for months... and reluctantly put them away when I knew I really didn't need them anymore. They were soooo convenient and helpful-- and absolutely necessary for me for the first months: I did not have the strength for either the getting up and down on the toilet or standing in the shower.
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Janet.

I had a raised toilet seat in the hospital. I asked if I was going to get one to take home, and was told no. So I asked that they remove the one I had so I could be sure I was ok before I left the hospital. It was difficult getting up and down for a while, but I managed. Its all about positioning one foot under the bowl and one foot in front to get good leverage with your legs and not your back. It also helps to have a wall and a cane.

p

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                            Hi Janet. You're almost there! I do hope you are coping well, it's almost over. Sending cyber-hugs and thinking of you!

I did not have a toilet raiser and wasn't offered one. I managed the wiping ok with my left arm but not my right, for some strange reason.

They had a shower chair in the hospital but I only used it the first day on wards - Day 2. I actually find it uncomfortable to sit, so I stand more than I sit.

All the best Janet!
                            Jennifer! Welcome home!! Hope you're doing well!!

And yes, as you can see...most of here have enjoyed the company of a raised seat. I finally stopped using mine on a reg basis about 2 weeks ago!
                            Lynn -30.... something
                            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                            UW Madison, WI Hospital
                            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Thanks again everyone! Ed you made me laugh with the calming dog collar!
                              You're so right on everyone being different in recovering, Susie Bee.
                              I think making this decision at the hospital is good and I'll hold off on ordering anything until then. Doing pretty well right now;anxious to join all you "other siders" soon! Janet
                              Janet

Comment

Working...
                              X