Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Instrumentation

Hi,

My son had surgery in July 2008. He was fused from T3-L4 with SS pedicle screws and rods. I just received an explanation of benefits today for the cost of the instrumentation for $147,000 which was paid by the insurance company. Has anyone else had outrageous instrumentation costs?

Thanks,
    Kimg

kimg,

Though I'm an older adult and I had complications due to MRSA, my total bill came to.......are you sitting?? 1/4 million dollars!!!! All I can say is thank God for insurance, I paid 3,000.00 out of pocket

SandyC
    SandyC

Comment

Kimg--

My son's was similar for a similar fusion length (1 more vertebra). How is Casey doing at more than 6 months post-op? I would love to hear. Sidney is now about 4 months post-op. He was also fused at Shriners in Philly--in November. I sent you a PM.

Mary Ellen
      Last edited by WNCmom; 03-05-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Hi Kimg,

My surgery was Oct 08 and my hospital bill lists the hardware as $134,400. I was fused T3 to L3, so maybe that one more segment is the difference~~$13,000. LOL

My hospital bill was paid at 100% of the negotiated rate (they even waived my $240 copay, no compalints from me!) The total hospital bill was $191,000 and the insurance paid $50,000.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
        X