Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any other sufferers of a spinal curve also have flat feet, tight hamstrings, and/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any other sufferers of a spinal curve also have flat feet, tight hamstrings, and/

or chronic fatigue syndrome?

It was suggested to me today there may well be a link, but I cannot find much online so far...

My 13yo son who was fused in November has very tight hamstrings (which he worked on lengthening before surgery). No flat feet or chronic fatigue, though.

Comment

Originally posted by WNCmom View Post
      My 13yo son who was fused in November has very tight hamstrings (which he worked on lengthening before surgery).
      Tight hamstrings after fusion - especially lower fusions - are common and something the patient really needs to keep working on: When your hamstrings get tight, your lumbar area does too - and you're more likely to have pain.

WNCMom, is he allowed to do anything yet to address it?

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Not yet, Pam. Full bending isn't allowed for another three months--only to 45 degrees at the moment. He is doing a lot of hiking--up to 4 miles a day, but that's most of his exercise. Rest assured he will be stretching as soon as it's allowed.

Mary Ellen

Comment

My daughter also has extremely tight hamstrings and very flat feet-worse on
          the side of her curve. Just about every parent I have spoken with whose child has scoliosis, has mentioned their child also has flat feet, and additionally, joint hypermobility. I agree that there could be a link.

Comment

My daughter too has flat feet and very tight hamstrings. My daughter has had tight hamstrings for as long as I can remember. She was probably 8 or 9 y.o. when our family doctor recommended stretches for the hamstrings. She did do p.t. before and after surgery to address the issue as well.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Checking in here--dd w/flat feet, but high arches.

Not sure about the hamstrings.

Marian

Comment

pmsmom, when you say flat feet but high arches does that mean if she isn't putting weight on her feet she has high arches but when she is standing the arch flattens out?
                daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Patrick too has very tight hamstrings, even before surgery. So does my daughter(19) who is very athletic but no scoliosis.
                  Ramona
                  mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
                  diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
                  also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
                  fused T4 to L1

Comment

My son, Alexander, is very tight and inflexible everywhere, especially his legs. His physical therapist gave him a nightly stretching program to do and it's helping. He stretches every night now and I guess he feels like it helps because he does it on his own, without me having to say anything. I'm not sure about his feet and he definitely doesn't have chronic fatigue syndrome.
                    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Originally posted by bas2101 View Post
                      My daughter also has extremely tight hamstrings and very flat feet-worse on the side of her curve. Just about every parent I have spoken with whose child has scoliosis, has mentioned their child also has flat feet, and additionally, joint hypermobility. I agree that there could be a link.
                      I was dx'd at 10 - and no connection for me. Definitely not flat-footed, and can still (after fusion) do the splits.
                      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by jillw View Post
                        pmsmom, when you say flat feet but high arches does that mean if she isn't putting weight on her feet she has high arches but when she is standing the arch flattens out?
                        Yes. She also was diagnosed several years ago w/fusions in the 3rd metatarsals in both feet. So she's been wearing orthotics in her shoes for about 5 years or so.

Comment

Working...
                        X