More questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More questions

Hi again. My surgery time is approaching so my brain is filled with questions. Hope you all don't mind me venting on here

- How important is it to work out a lot before surgery? I'm in good shape just haven't exercised properly for a bit. I thought it might be helpful to establish bit of a gym routine before going to hospital. I'm not in the best financial situation atm so the gym membership is on hold. Would it be worth putting the surgery on hold for 3-4 months so that I can do this? Or should I just get it out of the way? I'm 23 I think the recovery would be OK plus I would prefer to not be wearing the brace when the weather starts to get warmer.

- My surgery looks to be happening at the end of April. Would most of you have felt up to going away interstate for a few days about 3.5-4.5 months later (mid Aug or Sep)? I'm planning to go away with my b/f as a little treat after the surgery is done and I'm wondering if I'll be able to enjoy it or will I still be pretty sore and tired?

- How strict are surgeons when it comes to post-op braces? Am I able to take it off for one day if I have a special occasion or something say in 2nd or 3rd month post-op?

Thanks again. I'm sure there'll be more questions soon
    Last edited by Cimbom; 03-01-2009, 06:03 AM.
    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
    46° curve
    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Hi,

I didnt' have a brace, so I can't answer those questions. Is your surgery A/P or just P? Mine was just posterior, and in my case, going away for a few days at 3-4 months sounds good, as long as you don't push yourself too much. I'd love to get away and escape for a few days right now and I think I'm physically up to it. Of course you're much younger than I am so you might even feel better sooner.

As far as the working out, you have a few months to go, and you could get yourself in better condition. I did exercise regularly before my surgery. You don't really need a gym, you could do it at home by yourself. Start with something aerobic, even if it's as simple as walking every day. Light hand weights are inexpensive, and you'll probably eventually need them after your surgery (when your surgeon says it's time.)

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

These are questions you should ask your doctor. Usually this is best done through e-mail.

Being in shape is important before surgery. This doesn't mean you have to give a gym a bunch of money. LOL Walking is cheap. Weights are everywhere. Eating correctly is important.

After your hardware is installed, (your internal brace) the wearing of the external brace is to help protect the integrity of your construct.
      You really should take it easy until you are fused. In other words, no trips or falling down or car accidents. If you can guarantee that these kinds of things wont happen, then you wouldn't need a post op brace. Fusion time would probably be about 9-12 months at age 23 ???

I personally would not "plan" a trip 3.5 months post. I wouldn't prepay for anything at all as far as a trip is concerned. I would get to that stage and see if you can handle it. Your body will tell you through little tests of endurance.

Regards
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Like titaniumed said, you should ask your surgeon to make sure you know what their expectations are of you. But here were my experiences with this:

-I am 23 too, and my surgeon wanted me walking a LOT before surgery because I had the anterior and posterior, also inbetween surgeries. I also had a hemi-vertebrate osteotomy though. By a lot I mean 7-10 miles a day. Which I did. I feel like it did help because I wouldn't be up to walking what I am now if I hadn't done it. I also have some heart abnormalities though, so walking strengthens that as well. I don't think you need to postpone the surgery, just start walking now. Don't lay about too much, it will make it harder to get up afterwards, at least that is my opinion...I could be totally wrong. Also, I should clarify...when I get into a LOT of pain I cant sit still, I cant lay down, or sit, or be sedentary, so the walking beforehand wasnt just because the surgeon said to. I was already pacing my house at all hours anyway.

-I think you will probably be okay to go away for a bit after the surgery, but then again, i don't remember your fusion levels, etc. I'm about 3 months out and we are planning a trip in early april to make sure I can handle a much larger trip in May. But, I think I should be up to it. You might want to wait until 2 or 3 months after the surgery to book anything though, just to make sure.

-My surgeon is wanting me out of the brace a lot more now, though I still have to wear it in the car and outside if there are slick conditions. Using a hard plastic brace too much can cause your stomach muscles to get weak because the brace is holding you up, not your abs. I am now up to walking about 2 miles without it and dont generally wear it unless I know I will be in the car, or if it just snowed outside. He started weaning me off it at the 6 week mark.

Again, ask your surgeon though. All of them are different.
        25 years old
        double 70+ degree curves before surgery
        Anterior on 11/11/08
        Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
        nearly perfect correction
        fused t-10 to pelvis
        with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
        Broke left rod on 10/24/09
        Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
        Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
        Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Working...
        X