Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery on March 25

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum, and thought I'd come here for some opinions/support! I am 25 and was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 10. My main curvature - primarily in the thoracic region - has steadily progressed since my diagnosis by about two degrees each year. My large curve is now at 52 degrees. I decided to have the surgery only a few months ago, with fear of my scoliosis continuing to worsen, and wanting to get the surgery "out of the way" while I'm still young; thus making it a bit easier of a recovery. My doctor would be fusing T2-L1. I know I won't lose TOO much mobility being fused only to L1, but I am an avid snowboarder, and worry that I won't be able to "twist and turn" as freely as I do now. I am permitted to snowboard again one year after surgery, in March 2010. Has anyone else tried snowboarding since their fusion? I am pretty nervous about it, as snowboarding is a huge passion of mine - fast speed, jumps, etc. Additionally, I plan to travel for a quick weekend trip (2 hour flight) 1.5 months post-op...think I'll be okay?

Anyway, advice would be appreciated! Also, anything I should do to "prepare" myself for the surgery? I am actually quite worried about going blind, as my surgeon said it's a risk... a small risk... but still a risk nonetheless.

Originally posted by jesscv View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum, and thought I'd come here for some opinions/support! I am 25 and was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 10. My main curvature - primarily in the thoracic region - has steadily progressed since my diagnosis by about two degrees each year. My large curve is now at 52 degrees. I decided to have the surgery only a few months ago, with fear of my scoliosis continuing to worsen, and wanting to get the surgery "out of the way" while I'm still young; thus making it a bit easier of a recovery. My doctor would be fusing T2-L1. I know I won't lose TOO much mobility being fused only to L1, but I am an avid snowboarder, and worry that I won't be able to "twist and turn" as freely as I do now. I am permitted to snowboard again one year after surgery, in March 2010. Has anyone else tried snowboarding since their fusion? I am pretty nervous about it, as snowboarding is a huge passion of mine - fast speed, jumps, etc. Additionally, I plan to travel for a quick weekend trip (2 hour flight) 1.5 months post-op...think I'll be okay?

Anyway, advice would be appreciated! Also, anything I should do to "prepare" myself for the surgery? I am actually quite worried about going blind, as my surgeon said it's a risk... a small risk... but still a risk nonetheless.
    Hi There,

I don't know if I would have been able to handle a flight at 1.5 months, I was still pretty sore. Not only that, I was still taking about 2 naps per day at that point. But who knows, you are younger and maybe will recover more quickly.

I also worried about the blindness issue, as I am a chronic worrier. Ask anyone here, they'll tell you. I asked my surgeon about it prior to surgery, and he said yes it can happen, but it has never happened to anyone on his table, and he's been doing this for 30 years. He also said that now instead of putting your face in a crade, which might put more pressure on the eyes, they put your head in traction so there is even less chance of this problem.

Good luck!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi,

I'm also 25 and had to take a trip 1.5 months post op. I think a 2 hr flight should be okay. I had to do two 2.5 hrs with a small layover in between. It was taxing but definitely doable. Just bring a pillow or something to keep yourself comfortable.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X